• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer...will it fit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjr1973

I just got my 9800XT back from ATI and it works great again. I've already replaced the 9800XT with an X800Pro and am going to let my friend use the 9800XT in his computer. We want to cool it down a bit and I want to use a VGA Silencer. Will Revision 3 work on the 9800XT? I had a Zalman on there and it worked great, but it's too big and extremely heavy. Anyone got any ideas?

veryhumid

i am pretty sure the rev 3 will not fit because it was not made to. if you go to www.newegg.com you can read about zalmans new dual pipe cooler, someone wrote a very nice review on it and the thing isn't very expensive.

bluemagic

Zalman

I have a zalman heat pipe a single the screws loosened up and the temps went up i retightened it all and ussed arctic silver on it the probe says its a lot cooler now but i think its not acurate. I was wondering where you put the probe to get a good idea how hot this is getting. i was pushing 50c now its barly 40c 45c on a hot day.

OP
T

tjr1973

If the VGA Silencer won't fit, what is everyone using on their 9800XT's? I refuse to use another Zalman style cooler. It was so heavy it made my video card literally droop down in the agp slot. I'll keep the stock one on if I have to.

Jojo1971

i have a VGA Silencer REV.3.. it will fit on my 9800XT but not on my X800XT..

with my x800xt, the "round plastic part" of the silencer which touches the backside of the card is just too big , it could break the small resistors/cap when the screws are tightened..a minor modification is needed to that blue plastic thing...

Last edited: