• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic liquid freezer II 280mm rgb with Asus Z790 Hero

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ptm

Registered
So I’ve had to modify my case to make this cooler fit, no biggie couple holes drilled.
my question is do I plug the 4 pin connector to the cpu fan header or to the aio header?
the 4 pin wire controls the pump and fans. The other wire is for rgb, not sure where to plug that in either, if I even will. The solid black one, no rgb, was a week to get from Amazon so I got this one.

from what I’ve read it can go either way.
if plugged in to aio header the pump and fans run at 100%.
i don’t care personally, but I’ve never messed with aio before.
‘’if nothing is plugged in to cpu header will I get warnings / issues?
i could plug the top exhaust fans into that header I guess instead of a chassis fan header.

I'm sure you can control the fans or the AIO pump's RPM in the bios. Me think you can set the fans or the speed of the pump via temp in the bios as well. You can also disable the alarm feature in that port also in the bios. Up to you how you want to set it up.

Well the motherboard manual needs adjusted. On page 1-9 it says the cpu fan header is B but on page 2-5 it is A. Page 2-5 is correct. Found out when i went into bios and saw the fan controls listing.
also the rgb connector, tried it on a rgb header page 1-17 A, B, C = couldn’t get it to light up so I plugged it in to the Aura header and that works.

2-5 in the manual doesn't show specific anything (no A or B either?). 1-9 matches the diagram on 1-2. Are you sure? Post the BIOS image that makes you think otherwise...
headers.jpg

RE: RGB.........headers A/B/C are 3-pin ARGB headers. The Aura header is 4-pin RGB. AFAIK, 4-pin strips don't work in 3-pin headers...........

2-5 in the manual doesn't show specific anything (no A or B either?). 1-9 matches the diagram on 1-2. Are you sure? Post the BIOS image that makes you think otherwise...
View attachment 359982

RE: RGB.........headers A/B/C are 3-pin ARGB headers. The Aura header is 4-pin RGB. AFAIK, 4-pin strips don't work in 3-pin headers...........

i really would rather not plug it in to the A plug that it shows. To do that I have to dismantle the top fans and then the radiator to get my fat fingers in there.
in the bios it had the data listed in the cpu opt fan on the fan settings.
if you really want I can do it.

Attachments

• D6335695-1E09-4C84-811D-C589FED5B2ED.jpeg
    D6335695-1E09-4C84-811D-C589FED5B2ED.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • B246CD9E-4FC2-40DC-A850-1CBE2428F01E.jpeg
    B246CD9E-4FC2-40DC-A850-1CBE2428F01E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
:shrug:

I think you should plug it in where it works, lol! You said it doesn't work in A/B/C but works in the Aura header, right? The Aura head is a 4-pin header................... and I assume so is your RGB strip. If that's the case, there's no preference, you need to plug it into the appropriate header.

As far as your images.. what are you trying to show us? I posted the 2nd image already stating it doesn't allude to which one is which. I read your manual (obviously I posted an image of it, lol). So.....what in the BIOS makes you think those are backward? Because the manual agrees (1-9 matches 1-2 and 2-5 doesn't tell us anything except for which headers to use for an AIO).

.....maybe your printed manual is wrong? Does it match the page at the website like I'm saying/showing?

I just posted pictures from my manual. In the picture you shared it only shows the top of the page There’s another picture below it in my manual.

I know it's your manual, lol. That picture in the manual is not correct. There isn't 4-pin header in that location on your board. That picture is also not on the online manual.

Do me a favor. Throw that paper thing away and look at the online manual. It gets updated. So if there are any mistakes, hopefully they get corrected there.

As for rgb no biggie the fans on the aio light up.

but, for the manual, I was referring only to the cpu fan & cpu opt fan. the paper shows more info on the lower picture where it shows which is correct. Cpu fan vs cpu opt. I did look at the online manual, the lower picture online is very generic, and it lacks more info than the printed manual.

I’m not trying to pick a fight, I come here for help. I know enough to get into trouble, last pc build was in 2014.

I'm not trying to pick a fight either! Simply trying to point you to the best resource to use, why, and what it's actually telling you. ;)

Your manual looks different, but that makes sense as your paper copy can't be updated. The online manual is going to be your most updated and trusted resource.

In looking at the online manual, compared to yours, it's telling you, BY NAME, what headers to use for an AIO. It's your paper manual that's using a generic board and headers that don't exist (top image) showing a location. The updated manual is one image that simply lists the ports but does not allude to a physical location. Everything is correct in all of the images online and you should trash the paper manual so you don't get confused.

As for rgb no biggie the fans on the aio light up.
My point I hope you walk away here is that there are different RGB strips... 3-pin (ARGB) and 4-pin (RGB). 4-pin devices don't work in the 3-pin headers and vice versa. Plug it in the proper port and it should work.

Last edited:
Back