• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 3 and chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I was wondering if I can take the heatsink off the Chipset,mine has no fan and put Arctic Silver 3 on it like you do on the CPU,will this work to keep it cooler?
I have the MSI K7T 266 Pro 2.
Thank you:)

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
may be, but AS3 won't glue your HS back on the chipset. you need to use Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive or Arctic Alumina Adhesive .

actually from what people are saying, the northbridge won't get that hot at all....
so in your case, you can just mount a 40mm fan on that HS, and that will do the trick.

Yodums

Yea, unless your CPU has pins then you should use AS3. Actually the Northbridge do seem to get hot after overclocking. If its possible lap it, apply AS3, and add a fan. It'll really help.

Yodums

Dave65 said:
Another stupid question,what does (Lap it) mean:rolleyes:

Sanding the base of the heatsink off to make it smoother = better contact and to take away the machine sand grinds of the heatsink = less ASII use and the heatsink doing the job.