• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 5 Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sidewinderkid

Registered
Hey i got a question about my arctic silver 5, i put it on a nice glob on my CPU and i put my watercooling block on and now my temps are HIGH!!! 46C they were 28-30C ? Is that because after a few powercycles it makes its final form and then the temps are nice :santa:

Nexus Realized

The problem might be the glob you put, you should put a very small amount of AS5 for it to work properly, and yes it usually take quite a few hrs. for it to settle in but were only talking 1-2C usually. I'd try re-doing it again with a small amount.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
Nexus Realized said:
The problem might be the glob you put, you should put a very small amount of AS5 for it to work properly, and yes it usually take quite a few hrs. for it to settle in but were only talking 1-2C usually. I'd try re-doing it again with a small amount.

a rice sized grain in the center of the CPU/Heatspreader. That is enough. Also, give it about 100-200 hours of time to settle (heat cycles and such)... and your temps can drop by as much as 5-6C from where they started with AS5... I know mine did (i went from 50C with white goop to 45C or so after a month with AS5)

Alchemy1

For both of the processors in your sig you should have smothed out the "glob" evenly on the core of the CPU. That may be a problem also if you did not do that.

grumperfish

Did you put too much on it? You should only use like half a BB size. Too much is the same as too little in this case. I don't know much about WC'ing, but it's likely that the AS5 is either not smoothly applied/too much or your block might not be seated properly.

azu

Lol. Use less and don't glob it all in one location. I don't recall that ever help even distrobution of AS5 during heatsink installation.

OP
S

Sidewinderkid

Registered
i guess i put about 2 bb size on and smeared it all over the core, i figured that more was better so tommorow ill redo it and take some off.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Sidewinderkid said:
i guess i put about 2 bb size on and smeared it all over the core, i figured that more was better so tommorow ill redo it and take some off.

More isn't better, follow the directions at Arctic Silver

Remember it may take up to 200 hours and several on offs befre you see optimal results

Time4aMassiveOC

i always spread it evenly on both heatsink and processor then put a glob in middle, since ive found that often the processor and heatsink are hardly flat

too much has never given me "bad temps" and i assuredly have used way too much in many of my builds. so yeah, not enough is far worse than too much. as the too much will merely squeeze out the sides.

make sure the heatsink is properly attached and getting good contact with heatsink

masakabassist

Too much can be catastrophic, a friend of mine put way to much on his CPU and got a good bang for his buck, the CPU popped because of all the heat it was holding in. :)

OP
S

Sidewinderkid

Registered
I think im still usign way to much even tho it jsut barely covers the whoel thing should i use that glove to put it on i mean just a 1/4 of a bb then smear that over all of it ?

OP
S

Sidewinderkid

Registered
I tried taking it off about 3 times, and putting small amounts "thats what i think atleast", so it should almost be translucent ? is that what you guys are saying i mean JUST a drop not even and smear it all over the die, and then use a razor to flatten it all down ? but wont it get flattened when you put the waterblock on it ? I still think i must be using to much because my temps are outrageous 44C :bang head i used to be able to keep it at High 28's Low 30's im about to cry lol

masakabassist

Dude calm down lol, use the blade to "smear" it evenly over the die. All will be well soon, just takes a bit of patience.

OP
S

Sidewinderkid

Registered
So i should put a VERY thin amount on, i should jsut about be able to read the AMD is that right ? or jsut enough so you cant see it ? Thats were im getting confused i hate wasting all that AS5.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Sidewinderkid said:
So i should put a VERY thin amount on, i should jsut about be able to read the AMD is that right ? or jsut enough so you cant see it ? Thats were im getting confused i hate wasting all that AS5.

Use the link that SSS gave you, follow the directions!!!

a nice, coat, not too thick, not too thin (see thru).

If it's for your XP core (in sig) a small amount will work.

I use my finger, (not reccomended) to spread it evenly over the core.

You don't want it oozing out the sides when you put the HS back on.

DoweX

Registered
Ummm.... did you store the tube of as5 in the wrong orientation? Because if you did, you might be getting more emulsifier than silver :p.

Time4aMassiveOC

once again, its not a bid deal, so long as the extra thermal paste doesnt squeeze out and ooze over the processor lip and onto the motherboard you are fine. all this talk about how you can get super high temps by using too much thermal paste i think is silly.

yes, as long as the entire surface of the processor (especially the center) has good contact with the heatsink, then yes the less the better, but its only going to be a tiny bit better.

so in essence, too much isnt something to worry about, not enough is...

so spread it even like they said, (i spread it even on both processor and heatsink) for me its not translucent at all.