• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver breaking in time...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

villham308

Registered
Hey guys,

Just got a new AMD XP1600+ and some arctic silver 3. Just spent the last 30 minutes carefully putting the stuff on the core as per the instructions on the website, attached my Volcano 7+ to it and now my CPU temp is EVEN HIGHER than what it was with my last 1600 with silicon thermal pase from a packet. 50*C @ IDLE!!!!!!! and thats on full blast!!!! 6000rpm!

Any ideas? Should i apply it again? i dont think i skipped a step or anything. Will more grease be better, cause i didnt put much on, just what they said on the website.

As per usual thanks for any help!!

Willem. :eh?:

Last edited:

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
might wanna check that the hsf was seated properly, and all you need is a thin coating of AS on the die

put some on the base of the hs too and smear it over the centerso it gets the hs kinda greasy

OP
villham308

villham308

Registered
SH*T A BRICK!

just read on the damn bottle that there's MOISTURISER in the nail varnish remover I used to clean the HS!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay...

I think ill go into town tomorrow and get some 99% alcohol!!!

Damn!

Willem.

jlin453

With NO thermal paste and NO AS3 on my XP2000+, my Volcano7+ at the low setting gave me 44C. When I put on the AS3, I got 36-7C. Now a couple of days later, it's risen to 39-40 (All idle) :( :mad:

OP
villham308

villham308

Registered
Well its good news!!!!

I thought that while i was at it i might as well lap the HS! So i went out to town, couldnt find any Wet and Dry with a higher grain than 400 tho. Anyway, lapped it with that (ill do it again when i find some 600 grain) and now its running at 38*C full load with the fan on full (burn in on Sandra for 30 mins). WHOOOHOOO!!!!

Anyway, this is even better than what i got with my prevous CPU so im happy!

Still, now ive gotta put it in the case. But that aint gonna happen tonight... G/F's bugging me to go to hers... Damn!

Willem :D