• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver: How much is too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rockworth

Registered
I was just curious, how much Arctic Silver should I be applying to the CPU die for adequate heat transfer? I think I might have applied too much because my temperatures seem a bit too high. Wouldn't too much compound cause heat build up?

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
paper thin should be the ammounbt on a regualr HSF.
if lapped, you should be able to read your steppings.

tft

I've gotten the best results with putting a small dab of AS on the core, and then spreading it around with the cut off end of a q-tip (the stick part, not the cotten part.) When its all covered, its a pretty thin layer, and the little extra on there compensates for inperfections in the hs, and core.

Iron Hawk

Rockworth said:
What exactly do you mean by "lapped" and steppings"?

Lapped is when you have carefully sanded the bottom of the heatsink so that it is perfectly flat. Steppings are the words written on the cpu (model #, serial #, date of manufacture etc.)

Colin

Arctic Silver Senior
tft said:
I've gotten the best results with putting a small dab of AS on the core, and then spreading it around with the cut off end of a q-tip (the stick part, not the cotten part.) When its all covered, its a pretty thin layer, and the little extra on there compensates for inperfections in the hs, and core.

If any of the fibers from the Q-Tip stick get in the thermal interface, the interface will be compromised. If this is a plastic stick, no problem.

Yodums

Well, it should be thin as possible, just enough to cover the core, so you don't see it. I squeezed a rice grain size of AS3 on my heatsink, then I took very little until I filled the core, very efficent.

The rest I rub in the heatsink until it all comes off.

Yodums

Derevirn

Registered
Yeah a super thin layer should be enough . A friend of mine put a fair amount of AS III on his heatsink and his temps became 2-3 C bigger than with cheap thermal paste ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yodums

Derevirn said:
Yeah a super thin layer should be enough . A friend of mine put a fair amount of AS III on his heatsink and his temps became 2-3 C bigger than with cheap thermal paste ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The extra makes a huge difference! Literally..

AS Users:

Don't slack off and say, "Meh, it's good enough..." It will add many degrees, I did that and I reapplied with the thinest layer and I had a 4 degree drop.

Yodums

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
I was getting high temps with the retail HSF setup with ASIII. I have since put on a huge Alpha. Now the first install of my alpha got me a little lower temps. I then reapplied the ASIII following their instructions. This is very important to follow. Here's how I applied it later and I got much better readings. First I cleaned everything off with a compound called "Goof Off", very excellent stuff even if it really smells. Then I used a plastic sandwich bag on my finger to rub the ASIII on the bottom of the heatsink very hard. This produced a very fine "wetting" of the heatsink and it looks like nothing's there. Then I used my thumb in the sandwich bag and applied a very thin and even layer to the CPU. It was so thin you could see through it just slightly. When you mate the surfaces together you might think there is not enough on them but you can feel them cling together. This produced a 4 - 5 degree celsius drop in my temp readings compared to a heavier application of ASIII.
I am running at 1.76 actual CPU voltage at 2.4Ghz.
My mobo temp is 28-30C
My idle CPU temp is 39 - 41C
My full load CPU temp is 48 - 50C

Before my range was 45C - 58C

I hope this info helps.

res0r9lm

gone_fishin said:
I was getting high temps with the retail HSF setup with ASIII. I have since put on a huge Alpha. Now the first install of my alpha got me a little lower temps. I then reapplied the ASIII following their instructions. This is very important to follow. Here's how I applied it later and I got much better readings. First I cleaned everything off with a compound called "Goof Off", very excellent stuff even if it really smells. Then I used a plastic sandwich bag on my finger to rub the ASIII on the bottom of the heatsink very hard. This produced a very fine "wetting" of the heatsink and it looks like nothing's there. Then I used my thumb in the sandwich bag and applied a very thin and even layer to the CPU. It was so thin you could see through it just slightly. When you mate the surfaces together you might think there is not enough on them but you can feel them cling together. This produced a 4 - 5 degree celsius drop in my temp readings compared to a heavier application of ASIII.
I am running at 1.76 actual CPU voltage at 2.4Ghz.
My mobo temp is 28-30C
My idle CPU temp is 39 - 41C
My full load CPU temp is 48 - 50C

Before my range was 45C - 58C

I hope this info helps.

with temps like yours you shouldn't be giving advice on cooling you should be taking it. I put mine on about two sheets of paper thick it takes a few days for as3 to cure.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Well, my temps seem high because the voltage is up to 1.76 from a default of 1.5 with air cooling, and the facts are a thinner application is better, even if you think my advice sucks.

KingB

res0r9lm said:

with temps like yours you shouldn't be giving advice on cooling you should be taking it. I put mine on about two sheets of paper thick it takes a few days for as3 to cure.

Hey Now,

I think what he was trying to convey that there is a good drop in temps with the proper application of the ASIII. He did get an 8c drop. He also gave a pretty detailed and infromative way to get a good application. Give the guy some credit. His temps may not be as low as yours but this could be from other factors than ASIII application. Everyone should be able to contribute.

OP
R

Rockworth

Registered
Well, after going to my local computer store to pick up a 92mm Antec fan, Wal-Mart for a funnel (the kind you use to pour liquids into), and after several minutes of measuring, drilling, cutting, re-organizing wiring, and re-applying a new layer of ASIII, I am very pleased. My CPU temperature went from 48C (idle), to 42-43C idle! Don't get me wrong here, I know other people have lower temperatures than me, but for a person who used to be running an Athlon XP 1900+ at 60C (and even 62 sometimes!), I consider my new temperature very nice. I thank you all for your advice!

res0r9lm

gone_fishin said:
Well, my temps seem high because the voltage is up to 1.76 from a default of 1.5 with air cooling, and the facts are a thinner application is better, even if you think my advice sucks.
whoo I don't think your advise sucks I was only j/k infact it was great advice. lighten up a little

res0r9lm

KingB said:

Hey Now,

I think what he was trying to convey that there is a good drop in temps with the proper application of the ASIII. He did get an 8c drop. He also gave a pretty detailed and infromative way to get a good application. Give the guy some credit. His temps may not be as low as yours but this could be from other factors than ASIII application. Everyone should be able to contribute.
that true that their are several resons why his temps are high. I just asumed it was from high room temps.