• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Betty

Now..I'm not sure if this should go in Vendor Discussion, but, I'm wanting to purchase 2 tubes of the stuff....thing is it runs about $25 Can here...is it any cheaper in the US? (including shipping ect.)
Also, I've heard some pretty good things about A.Silver and the local 'puter store dude was telling me that it can lower temps by 6 or 7 degrees Celsius? I didn't think it was that much of a difference? Is he feeding me a line?

6-7C? Depends on what CPU and what other thermal interface material.

If you talking about a Tbird 1GHz+ and the preapplied type of thermal compound, I'd believe it.

Well, buddy was being pretty general about it...and what exactly do you mean by 'preapplied'?

I'm running a p3 550@777, asus p3v4x, fop 32, crapola vid & sound card (i740 & ESS ES 1869) 8gig maxtor hd, acer 40x cdrom & 128 mb pc133 ram.

I'm not sure of hubby's system...athlon 650 (800 core)@1000 ect...
one tube is sufficient for both of us I'm sure...the other one is a gift for someone.

compuwife (Mar 27, 2001 02:22 a.m.):and what exactly do you mean by 'preapplied'?
Meaning the crappy heatsink compound that comes on the bottom of retail Intel heatsinks, I think it comes on retail AMD heatsinks now too(anyone care to verify?).

compuwife (Mar 27, 2001 01:03 a.m.):
Now..I'm not sure if this should go in Vendor Discussion, but, I'm wanting to purchase 2 tubes of the stuff....thing is it runs about $25 Can here...is it any cheaper in the US? (including shipping ect.)
Also, I've heard some pretty good things about A.Silver and the local 'puter store dude was telling me that it can lower temps by 6 or 7 degrees Celsius? I didn't think it was that much of a difference? Is he feeding me a line?

Give Terry a shout at warpfactor-e. I think he will even ship to the great white North. He will only charge you his actual rates, but you might have to pay that lovely Canadian import tax. It should still be cheaper though.

I first used the Radio Shack style thermal paste on my Gorb. It dropped the temps 3-4 degrees compared to that pre-applied crap that was on it. When I went to Arctic Silver, it dropped the temp another 1-2 degrees. Anyway, lapping the heatsink and using the better, cheaper, locally available thermal paste might be an alternative to the very expensive AS.

Back