• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are games becoming boring or am I becoming too old for them

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

I must say that high end pc gaming is expensive . a fun hobby for sure but what happens when you can max anything you can throw at your rig . you get bored
I tried modern titles and have always been playing them. doom . titan fall 2 . battlefield and gta v. I just cant seem to enjoy them anymore. going back to classics like gta san andreas kept me on my seat for hours and hours . do you think games are becoming more eye candy and less fun these days

Yes I think eye candy is more important than content now days. Also the younger generations seem to have less care due to never experiencing gaming before nice graphics so developers can slack

I like playing with all the eye candy, I want a lot more of it. I still like this hobby after 22 years, however I would like to see crysis 4.

Yes eye candy is important but if the story doesn't pull you... meh. Every person tends to gravitate towards a certain game or type of game, if there's no new developments ofc we're gonna get bored. I grew up on tabletop D&D with real life friends and Dungeon Master on my old Commodore Amiga 500, so if I can't find good fantasy games (with the odd DOOM/CoD/MW exception) I tend to go back to roots on emulators. Still playing Final Fantasy Tactics for GBA to decompress from 4h-8h WoW mythic raiding for example. Found out Legends of Grimrock a couple years back, custom dungeons are damned good for replay ability and the graphics are a DM's wet dream.

Try it inside you're own game type, you'll be surprised with how much fun old games still are :)

I must say that high end pc gaming is expensive . a fun hobby for sure but what happens when you can max anything you can throw at your rig . you get bored
I tried modern titles and have always been playing them. doom . titan fall 2 . battlefield and gta v. I just cant seem to enjoy them anymore. going back to classics like gta san andreas kept me on my seat for hours and hours . do you think games are becoming more eye candy and less fun these days
That's funny, I've been thinking the same thing lately and was starting to believe it was me getting too old for gaming. Every time I buy one of these new games I have fun for a couple days or weeks then find myself going back to my old stand bye games. The only exception has been World of Warships, which as aggravating as it can get sometimes I have a great time playing and is free unless I choose to buy something in game.

I enjoy the eye-candy and build my computers to max it all out but I still want sustenance to the game. Modern games just don't have it imo and charge WAY too much when you add all the dlc packs and extra junk they charge us for these days.

Ditto on World of Warships. Lot of fun there for free. War Thunder is another free one I've lost a lot of hours on, and they're expanding to seagoing vessels. Starting with littoral boats, but they may expand to larger vessels if they get the right feedback.

War thunder isn't my cup of tea . I have been playing red alert 2 and devil may cry classics on pcsx2.. need new games anyone?

Welp, A game i really liked was Hotline Miami, Its a 2D game (View from above) and you have to kill people there, Its a fun game and i spent a few hours playing the game and trying to score all A+ after i finished the game.

Btw playing online games with friends is very fun too!

War thunder isn't my cup of tea . I have been playing red alert 2 and devil may cry classics on pcsx2.. need new games anyone?

I've found there seems to be two camps there. Wargaming has its followers and Gaijin its followers, and they tend not to cross over a lot. It happens (me, for example) but not as much as I would have thought.

Last edited:

You had me scratching my head there for a minute. Gaijin

As for my two cents on the whole getting too old thing. I am 44, and I think like most of you, grew up on story driven titles and games that you could never win. You were going for a high score, not an end.

The focus now seems mostly on multiplayer. The devs see the cash cow of e sports and that is all they care about. In their defense, games are hugely expensive to produce now so you need to follow the money to stay alive.

It also comes down to reflexes. I still skateboard, ski etc, so my reflexes are pretty good for an old guy. Watching my son play multiplayer on COD Infinite Warfare and then comparing to what I can do? I am outclassed every time.

Maybe we just evolve? I have been having the most fun with games like Firewatch, The Talos Principle, The Witness. I put 100 odd hours into Fallout 4 and really enjoyed my recent play through of Spec Ops The Line (It is on sale right now for $6.50 CAD. If you have not played this, do it.)

I guess what I am saying is, in a gaming world built for multi-player, I want a single player experience where I don't have to worry about getting 360 no scoped by my own child. :D

Last edited:
Not sure if that's evolving or simply giving up because you think you're outclassed ? you play to have fun, winning is a secondary objective (for me at least). I'm not going to change my habits and/or tastes simply because i'm not as good in them as i once was.

I think you missed the point. I never was a huge fan of the multiplayer parts of the COD/ Battlefield / insert generic FPS here, games.

I was trying to draw a comparison between the games that I grew up on and what I have gone back to.

IMO one of the best games of the year is Rainbow Six Siege. But even that relies more on tactics than raw snap aim.

Maybe it is giving up, but is there a point if you are not having fun? Isn't that what gaming is about.

In the end we all change and evolve who we are throughout our lives. Should our gaming tastes not follow suit?

I got the point, and it still smacks of giving up (not judging and i know it sounds bad but it's not meant to). Evolving doesn't mean stop doing one thing to do the other, it means get better at what you're doing, compensate somehow, put more effort into it and you will get there eventually. You said it yourself, part of the reason you're feeling like this is because you think you can't keep up, if you train and get better you will start "kicking butt" and your mood will improve no ? Isolate specifically what it is that makes you bored and search for other games that don't have that flaw. As to losing reflexes to any significant degree for casual gaming ? too young ;)

But let's go with your reasoning, you want story driven games ? stop playing mainstream and search for obscure titles, you have no idea how many indie games are the complete opposite, all story and no graphics (steam is a decent help). You're tired of gaming ? get out more, spend time with family or friends. Exercise, read books. At the end of the day it's all good to pass the time, but if you gamed most of your life you will always have the "itch" to go back to your favorite game :p

i think you are too young to be too old to be bored with games :)
graphics dont really matter to me im not a big detail nerd or anything, hell i still play mmo's that are based on sprites, i also still play cod4(x).
i play newer games too like arma III and BF1 and i enjoy both.
but ever since i was like 16 the faster paced the better for me.

i think the bigger problem with games, isnt the games at all but kids who want something to complain about :)

graphics dont really matter to me im not a big detail nerd or anything, hell i still play mmo's that are based on sprites, i also still play cod4(x).

i think the bigger problem with games, isnt the games at all but kids who want something to complain about :)

Do you play quake? I wish i had a visa to buy Quake3 Just to play it with friends and have fun :/

I hope I'm not old. I just feel burned out after putting a few hours in a game typically AAA. The only game that kept me busy was the witcher 3 during its release even that's burned out now after beating blood and wine and hearts of stone.
It stinks because you spend so much on a kick *** pc but the games are too boring to bother with. I would love to dig into older titles
And thanks to all who listed classics I'll look into them

Last edited:
Do you play quake? I wish i had a visa to buy Quake3 Just to play it with friends and have fun :/

i played quake live for a bit, it was pretty fun but i didnt have any friends who really played it

I think part of the problem is that getting older means you likely have more disposable income and can buy up more games than what you could when you were younger. That and sales are a lot more prevalent, allowing for gaming libraries to cause a bit of an ADHD effect where you have the ability to jump between any 5-10 games at any given time, as opposed to when you would get 1-2 games per year (at most) and you'd play the crap out of them even if they were crap because you likely didn't know better.

The eye candy part I think is a bit of a scapegoat of trying to find reasons to think time gets spent on other things, but there's plenty of games out there with good stories and such, but there's also a lot more games out there now and hopefully the above-average consumer spends more time trying to determine what is worth their money (As well as numerous free places to read reviews, feedback, watch play throughs, etc).

To me, it sounds like you need a break from the FPS genre. Have you tried the new Hitman game (or does it interest you at all?), it has received very positive reception is a quite different type of game. As would be something like Civ4/Civ5/Civ6 for a good turn-based strategy.

If you haven't played it yet, Inside is a wonderful game that should be pretty cheap to pick up. It's made by the same people as Limbo (if you haven't played it yet, it's worth a playthrough). A great puzzle game to have come out this year is The Witness, made by the same guy that made Braid (another great game that came out several years ago).

Back