• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are gaming mice and keyboards worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:drool:Astros cost like $300 don't they?
I have a R.A.T. 9 :borg: and Blackwidow ultimate 2013.
Reason being the mouse is very comfortable and I get satisfaction from the clicking noise my keyboard makes... :clap:
It's all personal preference and unless your playing mmo's like WoW you won't even use the programmable buttons. Nice to have though if your lazy, click a button and it opens up a game. Pretty nifty.:cool:

I use the Logitech Performance MX. I got my first one in a combo deal with their Wave keyboard, gave $80 for the set. They're wireless and can send/receive at 30ft. The mouse has a few buttons and I use them all. It fits my hand perfectly so using it for extended periods isn't tiring. Optical so I use it on any surface, and have including my thigh, chest, chair arm, cushion, even scrolled it across the dog.

Once I set up the software I haven't changed a thing. Not the DPI, scroll rate, nothing. I just haven't had any interest or need. My only advice, and this after many mice and not taking this advice when I got the combo, is to take some for a test drive, find what is most comfortable first, then check out the bells and whistles that are offered.

:rain: That in no way helped. What are you asking for? In which situations a loud mechanical keyboard is a downfall?

Whats games are mech's annoying.:screwy:

EDIT
BTW not all mech keyboard are loud.

Idk, I personally use headphones which tune out most of the noise on my blackwidow ultimate 2013. When on skype with buddies playing games they usually get mad at me for my mic picking up every keystroke.

Whats games are mech's annoying.:screwy:

EDIT
BTW not all mech keyboard are loud.

I recently got a mechanical keyboard for Christmas and did a bit of research beforehand. The way I understand it, the main concern of some people (this may not be ChanceCoats123's reasoning) is focused around keyboards using Cherry Blue switches and the sense that they "click" twice. In more intense games, people feel/hear the first click and don't realize that it doesn't always mean the keypress registered.

But I got a keyboard with Browns, and so far I actually prefer it in games over the membrane based "gaming" keyboards I've used before.

non-clicky mech. keyboards are geared more for gaming. The clicky noise some make can get annoying, even if gaming with a headset and are geared for typing. I hear it when I'm watching people's recordings on youtube. Its very annoying.

I am using a fairly new MS keyboard I paid $15 for. Works great. Also, having spilled stuff on my desk before, I can't imagine me spilling something over a $100+ gaming keyboard.

My cheap, white plastic MS keyboard will last me a good while.

It boils down to this: replace a basic, sturdy membrane keyboard every few years or replace a mechanical keyboard every few years...

Can a decent mech keyboard be hard for under $50? If so what is a good one? I really need to get a new keyboard and mouse. The feet on my mouse are completely gone. Plus the left click is acting up. My keyboard is also pretty beat as well.

You probably won't find a 'good' mech keyboard for under 50, reason being is when it comes to periferals you're mostly paying for the name.

I've been using the Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 and so far no issues. I traded my logitech G15 V1 cuz I hated it.

As for mouse, I'm still using the MX1000 since day one. Only mouse that feels great in my giant paw, lol. All the other mice I tried are too small and after a bit of gaming the inside of my hand (palm) starts cramping up something awful.

"Gaming keyboards/headsets/mice" are all a gimmick. A label put on to suck every penny from those poor souls that fall for it.

i just use any old cheapo keyboard.... as long as it has a full size freaking backspace key, the ones that have the backspace key the size of a letter are stupid, everyone knows the backspace key is used twice as much so it needs to twice the size! :rofl: [that was a joke lol tehe] but i jus really hate small backspace keys.

as for the mouse long as its not a ball mouse or wireless ive been fine with any old mouse, though i do prefer the mx series of logitech mice , my favorite being the mx-518 and the newer revision of it the g400 i own both and use both on steelseries ice mats (yea i got two of those too lol) for twitch shooters its the most bestestest of all combinations :) i mean, theres probably better, but im a cheap arse and like to keep some thing old school :)

"the tools do not the artist make"

True, but I've had wireless keyboards that would occasionally drop connection for a split second, not noticeable when typing, but when holding keys down in games it was. Also had cheapo keyboards which had anti-ergonomics, after using them for an hour or two my wrists started hurting and started sucking (well, sucking more) in games. So, while spending $200 on a keyboard isn't going to turn a poor player great, getting a bad keyboard (bad, not cheap) isn't a good idea either.

Here is a good deal if you are looking for both http://mobile.dailysteals.com/

I have a regular G9 and I love it, I actually use the DPI adjustment, because I like to have a faster mouse when I am doing regular tasks, but a slightly slower one when I am gaming.

Back