• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are geforce 2s still worth it in this day of age?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxim

Registered
I'm not sure, but I think I might get an MSI Geforce 2 ti for the system that I'm putting together. Are G2s still worth getting now that there are bigger and better cards? It's kinda obvious that I don't have a lot of cash if I'm interested in a G2, but do I really have a choice? The only thing in the same price range I want is a Radeon 7500, but I want/need Video out AND in capability with the card without the price of an All in Wonder. Are there other or more reputable manufacturers of Geforces that at least 64mb ddr and video in and out in the same price range?

Go for a GeForce3 Ti200 and overclock it to 240/500 which is the default Ti500 speeds. They come with great features like s-video out and stuff, and have great new features that you wont find in Geforce2's, like pixel shaders

That depends, what do you want to do? Do you want to be able to play the newest games with all the effects set to max? Do you want to be set up for the future games with the new capabilities? If you are like me and cant afford all of the latest games when they first come out, then the geforce 2 is the way to go. I played Max Payne all the way through on a Radeon 32mb ddr card and cant say as i missed out on anything beings I have never seen the game played on a geforce 3 card. So basically it is up to you, and what you can afford.

I have to agree with rezman5, 3 months ago I would have said go for the GeForce2 Ti, but now with the 4's on the market the GeForce 3's are even less expensive...

There is only like a $30 difference between the two and most ti 200's can OC to near ti 500 speeds. Plus, the GeForce 3's run cooler than the GeForce 2's.

Just don't get the 128 MB version of the ti 200 if you can pop the extra cash. There is no reason for that memory on that card and just raises the price....

Listen to what he was originally asking. A Geforce 2 Ti200 is a good card to buy still. It will easily allow you to play all the games you need to.

The 7500 imho is the better buy, but if you require vivo then you will need to add a TV tuner /capture card or just capture card on for your vivo needs.

Nice feature the 7500 does offer is TV output at 1024x768 with HDTV support. The video clarity quality of this card is great. I see no need for anything more. But if I were to spend more $$$ it would be on a retail 8500 for around $145-160. Thats the best bang for the buck right now.

My 2 cents worth. If budget is an issue you will be happy with your G2 Ti200 with vivo.

Cisco Kid

Given my system specs below I still maintain that GF3 and up is overkill right now. Dont get me wrong, if a GF3 came along at a decent price I would get one...but if your system is hardy(1 gig+) than a GF2 will play all your fave games at high settings..I even have Anti Aliasing turned on @ x2 and still play games @ 1280x1024, even max payne and MOHAA!
So if GF2 is all you can budget than go ahead and dont be ashamed...but like the posts above said, for a couple bucks more you can get a GF3 that will be sure to last you through the next generation of games(ie: UT2, SOF2, DOOM etc).

A G2 Ti200 will play the next generation of games, who do you think these games are made for, only for people with expensive cards, or more expensive cards.

DONT buy into all the hype. My 7500 is gonna do me fine for a while to come and then I will buy an 8500.

Cisco Kid

It all depends on MONEY. it did for me if you would like more card for the mone get it online i did i couldn't afford a gf3-ti500 at any store. Average price was 379 to 399 . but on line you can do alot better i got the ti500 at ubid.com for 199. god i love the internet.

best of luck to ya
johnnycheapshot:beer:

The GF2 is still a good deal...
I would buy the 3 if you are planning to have it for a while. I am getting a 2 because I am going to be getting a gf5 or eclipse when it comes out, and only need something to replace my outdated 32 meg card.
With the 2, you will still be able to run all the good games, but maybe not at 80 fps. What it comes down to is how much money do you want to spend...
Futura

GF2's

yeah... just waiting on the nv30 Eclipse. This GF2 Ti can run everything I can throw at it and still keep up a good fps. The only real difference is that GF2's don't have all the newest DirectX features. BTW, 250/401 @ 286/527

Yeah, I'd have to weigh in on the side of the GF2...they are fairly cheap now and will handle most anything I could afford to play on them for the present. Recently got a GF2Pro 450 from Gainward and it oc's nicely (220/455) w/o problem...3DMk2001SE score is right at 3800 points...sufficient for my needs and within my price range. Sure, a nice new GF3 would've been nice, but you gotta eat too...Works for me...:D

no decision yet, but thanks.

Okay, I know I've got some life if I do go for the 2, especially if I get a fast system (it's going to be a "stock" 1800+xp no doubt). But unfortunately I won't be buying off the net, and so will not benefit in its glory of cheapness. Also, I've got to pay in CDN $, and that completely bumps the price too.

Now if I'm willing to spend $300 CDN for a ti200, the issue of R8500 comes into play. The thing is that I hear mixed reviews of Radeons and it makes my decision more difficult. The following is a list of potentials, just to see what I'm looking for (including CDN $). Does this make my choice more clear or easier?

geforce 2
MSI G2Ti PRO-VT) (MS-8836) 64MB vivo ($207)
ASUS V7700Ti GF2 Deluxe 64MB vivo ($250)
geforce 3
MSI GF 3Ti PRO-VT (8850) 128MB vivo ($296)
MSI (G3Ti 200 PRO-TD) (8851) 64MB dvi-vo ($308)
ASUS V8200 T2 GF3 Deluxe 64MB vivo ($325)
radeon
ATI RADEON (7500) 3D / 64MB DDR / DVI & TV out ($170)
ATI RADEON (8500) 3D / 64MB DDR / DVI & TV out ($280)

Last edited:
the Radeon 8500 is hands down the best card for the money and there really arent any driver issues with the newest drivers

Back