• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my eyes playing tricks on me??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2003
This is the story. My friends and I linked up our computers for some old fashion network gaming. We played a few games, Unreal tournament 2003, Call of Duty, and Halo.

I had a very huge surprise when we played halo. Basically, there are 5 computers linked up to the LAN. Its hard to state spec for all the rigs, but these are the video cards.

ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB
ATI 9800 non pro 128MB
XFX5900 non ultra 128MB (My card)
EVGA 5900 non ultra 128MB
ATI 9600SE non pro 128MB

I think Halo runs smoother in all the ATI cards. Yes, that will include the 9600SE. There might be a twist to that 9600SE card. There is a marking on the card itself indicating it as the 9600 pro.

So, as a recommendation, if you want to "prepare" for future games, get the ATI. I'm kind of upset that I had invested $180 on my FX5900 non ultra after seeing that.

Everyone, please feel free to write your comment.
 
OP
Kenshiro

Kenshiro

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2003
I will say my rig should be equivalent to the one using the 9600.

We are both running AMDs, but I have the 1800+ overclocked to 2.26Ghz, while he is running stock with 2500+ barton. I do have the better mobo though.

I have to say that the rumors of Nvidia running slower than the ATI in DirectX 9 games are true. I have seen it myself.

DON'T GET NVIDIA, GET AN ATI.
 

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Kenshiro said:
I will say my rig should be equivalent to the one using the 9600.

We are both running AMDs, but I have the 1800+ overclocked to 2.26Ghz, while he is running stock with 2500+ barton. I do have the better mobo though.

I have to say that the rumors of Nvidia running slower than the ATI in DirectX 9 games are true. I have seen it myself.

DON'T GET NVIDIA, GET AN ATI.

I've been saying the same thing for quite some time...
yet even reasonable people seem to disagree with me.

the sad thing is that what we are seeing is games that are only using a small amout of PS and VS 2.0....
as games start to use more and more DX9.0 features, I feal that the nVidia FX users will have to be blind not to notice.

mica
 
OP
Kenshiro

Kenshiro

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2003
micamica1217 said:


as games start to use more and more DX9.0 features, I feal that the nVidia FX users will have to be blind not to notice.

mica

I guess most of them are like me. Some are hardcore nvidia fans, other's probably jump into great nvidia deals like I did. Its until you see the difference when you have 2 cards running the same game side by side, then you are truely able to tell ATI rule the current directx 9 domain.

I won't recommend getting ANY nvidia cards now. Their N40 chipset should be able to resolve their current problem with directx9, but i will still wait for tomshardware or extremetech to review their products before buying them.
 

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Kenshiro said:


I guess most of them are like me. Some are hardcore nvidia fans, other's probably jump into great nvidia deals like I did. Its until you see the difference when you have 2 cards running the same game side by side, then you are truely able to tell ATI rule the current directx 9 domain.

I won't recommend getting ANY nvidia cards now. Their N40 chipset should be able to resolve their current problem with directx9, but i will still wait for tomshardware or extremetech to review their products before buying them.

THG can at times be very biased towards nVidia...
the same can be said with anandtech.com

I'd wait untill you see people here rave about the new cards.
we don't lie.
we may not like the truth from time to time, but we don't lie.

also start reading over at beyond3d.com....you'll thank me.

mica
 
OP
Kenshiro

Kenshiro

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2003
Frankly speaking, I was denial during the beginning. I thought Nvidia's real problem is with their drivers, not the hardware. So, when I see a great deal on their FX5900 non ultra, I jumped right on it. You got to admit, for $176 (the actual price I paid for it), it is a great deal. But I would have spend $100 more and be happy with it. This is my personality. Needless to say, now I truely believe that it's their hardware giving them the problems to write their software. I guess I will wait until true directx9 games comes out, I will switch to a better card.
 

Sir Barton

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Location
Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit
i havent compared ATi with nvidia side by side, but my buddy just bought a BBA 9600XT...and honestly, it makes my card look like a Ti4200 on steroids. halo looks sooooooo much better with his card. i wish i wouldve gotten the ATi now. its not a that big of a deal for me, because when i got this card i was in desperate need as my Ti4800 crapped on me, and this was the next best thing i could find at the time. well, you takes your chances and you pays your money....lesson well learned, the hard way. i dont hate nvidia, im still happy with my card....but its like buying a mustang with a 6 cyl....it looks good on paper, but has lackluster performance.
 

The Coolest

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
not to start a flame war, but same could be said about u.
Unless you have seen both cards in action side by side I think that Kenshiro is the better judge of his own eyes than you
 

David

Forums Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
blurry said:

The typical ati fanboy...

Lets not start a flamewar here. If someone thinks that, in their opinion, the image quality on ATi is better than NVidias then they are perfectly entitled to express this and share their views. Calling them blind is pure fanboyism.

In an attempt to lighten this thread up.....

fanboyriffic.jpg