• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my eyes playing tricks on me??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
is HALO the only game you guy played at that LAN game? How about run soem other game and see....
I heard and saw report of ATI card having problems with NFS: Underground and such....
Some people like ATI
Some people like Nvidia
I like whatever cheap and run smooth on most game I played (buggy in 1 or 2 or 3 games does not hurt much as long as it runs rather than crashed)....

PS: that leadtek 5600U I am using costed me 99buckurus US from newegg (refurbish item) but work great at OC speed 385/890Mhz from 350/700Mhz....:D

Last edited:
MaxTem said:
I heard and saw report of ATI card having problems with NFS: Underground and such....

What kinda problems? Ive had none so far...i was damn addicted to that game for a while, lol

Ya know...that blonde is pretty cute....
she's only blond on top. Back on the topic. I love my 97pro and I haven't yet felt the need to OC it. I play UT2K3, Tacops, still play some AOM, and watch movies on it. It runs smooth for me. cost a bundle tho, but worth it if I never worry about it. IMHO

ManOfKnight said:
first do you have the latest detonators? the 5900 should keep up with a 9600 easily in Halo...is your system as fast as the system with the 9600? there are a lot of questions...but to ATI's credit they do make awesome cards
You need to listen to this man. Sure the shader performance of the FX series is not as good as the ATIs, but that is not the problem with your halo results. Here is a test from xbit-labs.com, and it clearly shows that a FX5900 with the latest drivers can indeed perform very well in Halo. Xbit labs is the most technically astute and unbiased source of performance testing I have seen. And they in general strongly prefer the ATI cards, so this is not the result of an Nvidia bias.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/graphics-cards-2003_24.html

In Halo, the 5900nu in my sig at stock speeds murders the 9600 in my sig that's way past XT speeds.

At 1024x768 with all the eye candy stuff turned off Halo is pretty much unplayable with the 9600... with the 5900 i can play fine with everything turned on at 1152x864

As you can see my setup is much more worse then your's(not overclocked at all) and it is just a little slow, I think halo just doesn't like nvidia cards.

No, look at the link I posted above. Nothing likes a FX5200.

I think the problem with Nvidia is with shader 2.0. I did read an article somewhere indicating that shader 2.0 is not a priority with nvidia. However, isn't it true that Directx9 games are heavy written base on shader 2.0. I'm not a programmer, so please understand that I might have misuse the words/terms here.

There is no doubt that ATI's shader performance is better, but that is not the factor at work here. As evidenced by the xbit labs link I posted and q149's first hand experience FX5900s are very capable in Halo. Until you start looking for the real problem with your system's performance you are highly unlikely to find it. Simply slamming Nvidia is not going to get you from here to there.

I wasn't slamming on Nvidia. Its just that I'm kind of upset that the 9600SE can keep up with my FX5900NU on Halo. That is one of those moments that I felt the word "SUCKER" floating above my head.

But you still seem to be missing the point. A FX5900 will flat destroy a 9600SE in Halo, and keeps up adequately with a 9800. For whatever reason your system is not performing at the level a 5900 is capable of, and if it were my system I would lift a finger to diagnose and correct the problem.

I think you are right. I will reformat my hard drive and install everything fresh. See what happen then.

Kenshiro I tried to warn ya earlier, the FX cards are garbage for high end machines. It is very apparent in games like Halo. Sorry to hear that you too got burned by NV too. :(

EDIT: Try the older detonator driver from 5/__/2003...its somethin like Detonator 44.76 or somethin. I know its a det 44. That driver illeviates many slowdowns on Fx cards. Best of luck:(

I agree with iarva

the 5900 np is in the bracket with the 9800 pro and 5950.

if a 9600se is out performing your card, theres a problem with your setup,

no let's back this up 1st, Halo is not a good game to compare performance gains in the 1st place, it's code is full of garbage, everyone has trouble with Halo if you do some reading

people were forced to run the 800x600 resolution with some configurations

i gave the game a spin myself and it made my "ATI" card crawl at the 1024 res.

but trust me, the card you have is a great card especailly for the deal you got.

one thing is a lot of games are being developed with claims of using dx9 ext.s but i think they are written very poorly.

the hardware on the market shouldn't get eaten alive by some of the games that are being released

i play a game everyday that kills any gpu on the market due to its poor netcode and physics engine plus the fact that in fights there's 200-300 man battles with explosions and anything you can imagine.

during my time playing Halo, the game's engine felt similar to the game i play now, Planetside, you just can't get really good fps in that game.

but make gpu comparisons with "identical system configurations"
and with games that have good fast running engines like the unreal/quake engine.

Kenshiro,

I have to agree with larva and vidgion....

maybe my original reply was premature, yet I did take into acount that the 9600se was marked a 9600pro.

I've done alot of testing in halo with both my 9700pro and my friend's 5900u....

let me just say that CPU speed is a bigger facter with this game then most others.
also, what drivers are you using?
the latest drivers from nVidia shold give you about a 40% increase in frame rate as compared to some of the older ones.
(my friend thinks that with the latest drivers, halo is now running with 12bit shaders, instead of 16bit...yet it could be PS1.4 or lower too)(I wish I had a way to test this)

so, if your cpu speed is slower then the other rigs...
and maybe you were running an old driver...
your results sound about right.
yet, doing a reinstall could help alot too.

good luck

mica

Currently, I am using Nvidia's latest driver, 53.03. I think I do have to reformat my hard drive. Its over a year since the OS was installed, and I probably have tons of garbage running in the background. I have 512MB PC2700 memory, and my CPU is 1800 XP DLT3C JIHUB overclocked to 2.26Ghz @ 16*141. For some reason, my system is very unstable when the FSB goes above 141. I think this could be the mobo because I did hear that the A7V8X, KT400 chipset is not really good for overclocking.

Kenshiro, I can help ya out with your MB ocing problem. You must use the Pinmod to get high FSB on VIA MBs.

The Pinmod puts copper wires into your CPU socket. It shorts certian birdges out and bingo a 400/333FSB+ stable chip. Trust me it really works (check sig)

Sentential said:
Kenshiro, I can help ya out with your MB ocing problem. You must use the Pinmod to get high FSB on VIA MBs.

The Pinmod puts copper wires into your CPU socket. It shorts certian birdges out and bingo a 400/333FSB+ stable chip. Trust me it really works (check sig)

how do i do the pinmod? Is it something I can get from here??

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

Will I mess up my CPU??? Its really hard to find an unlock 1800 now, so I really do want to f#*k up this chip?

Back