• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my temperatures correct? First WC Build PLEASE HELP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wukagames0391

Hey WC and OC enthusiast, I hope you can help me out with a question regarding correct temperatures for my first water cooling build.
Do you guys know if my temperatures look correct for my setup? My ambient is currently 69-71F
i7-6700k (OC’d to 4.9GHz - 1.375v, 4.0ghz cache, DDR4 at 2133 - 80C max temp after 12hr Aida 64).

My Setup:
Define S from Fractal Design
i7-6700k Temps vary between 0-5C of each cores with the above-mentioned information
2x Black Ice Nemesis GTS 360mm radiators Hardware Labs (one intake front and one exhaust top)
6x Corsair SP120 Red Led 120mm fans
1x default Fractal Design 140mm fan (bottom intake fan)
Kingpin GTX 980 Ti (left at default settings and 31-33C idle)

Do these seem like correct temperatures for my setup? I have the Corsair Red LED SP120 on 100% speed. Should I buy the Corsair 120 High Performance PWM ones? Would the high performance PWM fans even help with the radiators being at 16-17 FPI and being so thin as it is (30mm)? Any suggestion guys?

If all fails, I’m definitely hoping to de-lid my CPU in the future once I get a vise. I really hope I can hit the mythical 5.0 GHz once I get everything set up.

1.jpg

Last edited:
That's quite possible. These CPUs are quite capable when they have good cooling. Give itel XTU a try and see what your temps are. You'll likely need more voltage since it's harder to run than aida64

That's quite possible. These CPUs are quite capable when they have good cooling. Give itel XTU a try and see what your temps are. You'll likely need more voltage since it's harder to run than aida64

Cool thanks! Do you think upgrading to the Corsair SP120 High-P pwm fans you think that will help and if so by how many C degrees would you say?

Personally not a fan of the sP120S.
I h
think you're fine just enjoy your system. You're already higher than many.

Cool thanks! Do you think upgrading to the Corsair SP120 High-P pwm fans you think that will help and if so by how many C degrees would you say?

Although you may gain some headroom, I believe you would have the same results as I did. I replaced my h110I gt stock fans with noctua ippc 3000's. Ended up being more fan than the radiator could benefit from. I did see temps drop a bit, but not enough to do anything substantial with. That is, at least, my opinion in my case.

Be careful popping the lid in a vise on a Skylake cpu, the Pcb is thinner then Haswell chips and if you apply too much pressure you may crack the Pcb.

Be careful popping the lid in a vise on a Skylake cpu, the Pcb is thinner then Haswell chips and if you apply too much pressure you may crack the Pcb.

Thanks for the heads up Mandrake! That was really important point because I will be trying to delidding my i7 4770k first before touching my i7 6700k!

I have a similar new system (RED Glare, in sig) and was doing some basic stress-testing last night.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hydro Copper, 110% power, 91°C, +125 Core offset, +87mV, +500 Memory offset in EVGA Precision. HWinfo64 claimed 1517.2MHz core and 2000.7MHz memory when fully loaded.

The CPU was overclocked to 4.7GHz, 3.9GHz cache, 1.0GHz FCLK, 1.35v Adaptive, RAM at 3000, 1.353v.

I was loading it with GPUTest 0.7.0 PixMark Piano test (99% GPU loading at 2560x1440 full screen, 25-26 FPS) and Prime95 v28.7 Blend for several hours. HWinfo64 temps peaked at 50°C for the GPU and 69°C for the CPU (cores were within 6°C of each other).

I've only had a short amount of time to overclock so far, but it would be nice to get 4.9-5.0GHz. Seems unlikely though.

Edit: Home now, numbers confirmed.

Last edited:
I have a similar new system (RED Glare, in sig) and was doing some basic stress-testing last night.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hydro Copper, 110% power, 91°C, +125 Core offset, +87mV, +500 Memory offset in EVGA Precision. HWinfo64 claimed 1517.2MHz core and 2000.7MHz memory when fully loaded.

The CPU was overclocked to 4.7GHz, 3.9GHz cache, 1.0GHz FCLK, 1.35v Adaptive, RAM at 3000, 1.353v.

I was loading it with GPUTest 0.7.0 PixMark Piano test (99% GPU loading at 2560x1440 full screen, 25-26 FPS) and Prime95 v28.7 Blend for several hours. HWinfo64 temps peaked at 50°C for the GPU and 69°C for the CPU (cores were within 6°C of each other).

I've only had a short amount of time to overclock so far, but it would be nice to get 4.9-5.0GHz. Seems unlikely though.

Edit: Home now, numbers confirmed.

Thanks for the input! Damn man those temps are extremely similar to mine, no doubt. The i5 6600k that's the one without hyperthreading right? If so our temps should definitely be about the same considering you also have 2x360 radiators and no hyperthreading (althought i'm not sure if hyperthreading correlates to +10C)? My GPU is exactly the same peak temp with yours at 50C so that further confirms that we probably both have the right temperatures, I hope. I wonder if it is possible to hit 5.0 ghz at 1.45 max voltage. I just confirmed, yesterday, a 1.4v in BIOS stable OC to 4.9 ghz with a 12hr AIDA 64 test first 4 boxes checked. I know it isn't as demanding as prime95 but I only use my computer for games, movies & tv, and surfing the web. So aida 64 should be fine, I hope.....

If you passed 12 hours of AIDA 64 and do not have any issues with the Pc for what you use it for, it's stable. 5.0 may be your goal but that extra 100 Mhz isn't really going to give you a noticeable performance gain, unless you're benching. From what I've read, 1.42 Cpu V is about as high as you want to go for a daily Oc so keep that in mind. You may also want to take that into consideration if you're going to pop the lid. If you're topped out in voltage popping the lid may not net you any gains.

From what I've read, 1.42 Cpu V is about as high as you want to go for a daily Oc so keep that in mind. You may also want to take that into consideration if you're going to pop the lid. If you're topped out in voltage popping the lid may not net you any gains.
:thup:

Exactly...you are voltage limited in this case. I don't see a point to risk a delidding.

If you passed 12 hours of AIDA 64 and do not have any issues with the Pc for what you use it for, it's stable. 5.0 may be your goal but that extra 100 Mhz isn't really going to give you a noticeable performance gain, unless you're benching. From what I've read, 1.42 Cpu V is about as high as you want to go for a daily Oc so keep that in mind. You may also want to take that into consideration if you're going to pop the lid. If you're topped out in voltage popping the lid may not net you any gains.
:thup:
Exactly...you are voltage limited in this case. I don't see a point to risk a delidding.

Huh? pretty sure Intel's max recommended voltage is 1.45v. Anyways I ordered 6 gentle typhoons 1850 and decided to try and have both my radiators as intake and have my bottom 140mm fan as intake and my rear case fan as exhaust. Also going to reapply thermal paste. What would you guys say is the best thermal paste disregarding cost? I'm not really talking about liquid metal like Coollaboratory Liquids but just thermal paste for the IHS. I'll probably be purchasing Coollaboratory Liquid metal if I do decide to delid though.

Thermal pastes, not including the liquid metals? Most within 1-2C of each other. I would focus more on the mount.
http://overclocking.guide/thermal-p...d-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6/

I wouldn't run 1.45v 24/7 personally. ASUS said 1.425v. The point is, you don't have much headroom. its not worth it to delid for 100MHz IMO. :)

Hah, I see. I'm a bit dare devilish. After I remount the cpu and set up my radiators and fans the way I described - If I am able to hit 5.0ghz at 1.45v and like max 80 C temps I'll keep it for my daily OC. I usually upgrade CPU every 2-3max years anyways!

Back