• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Skyhawk Power supplies any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lithan

Disabled
Their specs look good to me, but are they quality made? Do they have any know problems? Anyone have any knowledge for me? I'm thinking of buying a cheap skyhawk aluminum case with a 400W skyhawk PS. Either that or a 300W Sparkle and I'll grab a case later. My needs aren't that bad (Shuttle mobo, 1800+ 512mb 266mhz, 1 dma66 hard drive, 1 cdrom, 1 cdburner, sb live, geforce 2 gts, 3com 10/100.)

I dont NEED a case... but the specs on the 400 Skyhawk look as good or better as the 300 Sparkle, and all told I'd be getting an aluminum case with a 80mm and blower fan, that would be a decent upgrde to my case, (noname steel, onepiece cover,) for 35$ extra... but the main reason for the upgrade would be for the Power supply (Mine isnt giving me enough... have to power on, kill power and power on again to get to post, {though its rock solid afterwards}.) I blame this on the 165w on my +3.3 and +5 rails rather than 180w as recommended.

Further, are there any advantages to Aluminum besides weight? I mean. I go max 5* C above ambient with my sh*tty case a 120 in front and the power supply's 80mm in back. Would an aluminum case do anything noticeable to temps? Are there any other advantages?