• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the OLD 2-4 gig hard drives very SLOW?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joeytt

Registered
Was thinking of getting an IDE one for an oldish comp.

Will they slow it down a lot or is it mainly the capacity of hardrives thats changed over the years?

thanks.

B-auto

It depends on what you'll be using it for and what your definition of "slow" is.

If you don't mind me asking, why the interest in a 2-4 gig as opposed to a 40-60gig?

Last edited:

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
When I first got my brother's 1600+ rig up I used an old 5gig hdd and then I put in a 40gb 7200rpm drive and the change was noticeable.

Chances are the hdd is 5400rpm.

OP
J

joeytt

Registered
will be used by my mother for internet, email, Word, desktop games etc.... i dont want the system croaking away taking 5mins to load a web page tho.. but they are cheap.

I just cant decide whether to buy one then find out that i might make the system unusable...hmm

ferria

it will slow down your browsing ,5400RPM are very slow compared to the new 7200 RPM drives,i know iíam right now on my father in laws computer and cant wait to get home and surf on my own machine

but when money is an issue go with it, they work just fine, i just got used to those faster drives and cant imagining going back hehe

-=Mr_B=-

it will take a few sec longer to load an OS, and subsequently, everything has a little longer searchtimes at a older drive, more noticable with an older pc is that it probobly dont have ata 100 support, depending on how old it is, it wont supposrt a drive larger then 8.4Gb, after that next drive size limit is 32 Gb and then the next step was around 130Gb.

offcourse, if you dont support udma and so on, the new faster drive will still have faster seek times, but transfers will probobly not be noticably faster. all things counted in, if the pc is only to be used with browsing, and you got a smaller drive left over, use it, if it should turn out "all bad" get a faster drive later is possible, by then you could give me the older drives...

Best off luck!
B!

spoken81

Most older small drives have a small, 512k i think, buffer. This really slows down anything the drive is doing even loading web pages. I'd get a newer drive with at least 2mb buffer.