• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there any AMD cpus worth going to over my E8400 @ 4.0 ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

Topic says it all. I have had it up to 4.3ghz but my ram couldn't handle it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Dual cores? No.

Quads? Sure.

Wouldnt 1066 ram be cheaper than an AMD processor and motherboard anyway?

OP
killem2

killem2

Well let me rephrase, are there any Quads that can out perform my dual core in apps/games that only use 2 cores :p I told myself when I upgrade again It would just be a quad 775 but those prices on some of those are still pricey.

i understand if the app can handle 4 cores my dual core is toast regardless of the speed.

DVL

Well let me rephrase, are there any Quads that can out perform my dual core in apps/games that only use 2 cores :p I told myself when I upgrade again It would just be a quad 775 but those prices on some of those are still pricey.

i understand if the app can handle 4 cores my dual core is toast regardless of the speed.

Well I was in your same situation, recently. Had the E8400 @ 4.0GHz 1066 RAM, EVGA 680i SLI, didn't think I needed an upgrade, let alone to a quad. I wound up acquiring an AM3 system, with a phenom II x2 545, a 90 dollar chip. Well turns out the Gigabyte board I had it on has the acc feature in the bios which allowed me to unlock two of the cores making it as far as I can tell the same 3.0 GHz 6mb L3 cache Deneb they sell as the quad. I've got it o/c'ed to 3.9GHz and I can say I like having the quad core. Some, not many games, will have good utilization of all four cores, but windows is good at shifting the burden of your multitasking to the other cores your games not using, allowing better performance for multitasking, and then there's things like video encoding, if your burning any movies, drop what your doing and get a freaking quad core. I literally shaved about 2/3 the time off burning movies since moving to the quad. So no not all games are going to see a specific benefit from the quad core, but your overall experience will be better as you multitask with ease, and photo editing, video encoding, are all done at a much brisker pace. Oh and lets not forget the rock bottom prices range you can get into DDR3 with!

Lavacon

Let me know what you decide. I am in a similar situation, with a lesser chip, but, OC'd to around 4ghz.

I have found that there is little improvement moving to a dual core i3/i5 with HT, so I am leaning towards the i5 750 while hoping for X58 stuff to drop in price a bit. If I had a microcenter close to me, I would go i7 920 :)

Problem with these things is, there is always something better coming, so, I'm probably going to get the best thing for my buck come spring time or early summer. We'll see how it looks at that time. I think intel did us dirty by making i7 on 2 new sockets. It really muddles things for some of us.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

No, b/c its the same thing. Clock for clock a dual core of the same generation is as fast as the same clocked quad if it only used 2 cores.

Last edited:

Bobnova

The C3 955 and 965 PhIIs can hit 4ghz the majority of the time, and are on par or slightly faster clock for clock. That gives them equal performance in one and two core apps, and far, far more performance in triple and quad core apps.

OP
killem2

killem2

Let me know what you decide. I am in a similar situation, with a lesser chip, but, OC'd to around 4ghz.

I have found that there is little improvement moving to a dual core i3/i5 with HT, so I am leaning towards the i5 750 while hoping for X58 stuff to drop in price a bit. If I had a microcenter close to me, I would go i7 920 :)

Problem with these things is, there is always something better coming, so, I'm probably going to get the best thing for my buck come spring time or early summer. We'll see how it looks at that time. I think intel did us dirty by making i7 on 2 new sockets. It really muddles things for some of us.

Yeah that is how I end upgrading, waiting and waiting and waiting and before I know it, it's 5 years later and I still have this old cpu. (That's the way it was with my new castle 3000+ got it in 2004 ditched it in 2008 :salute:) Only difference now is, I can upgrade to a quad 775, and perhaps when that 4 years comes I can land one on ebay haha. :p

DragoXT

Should have never gone to the dark side as now you are paying for it by being stuck in a dead platform. If you stuck with AMD, you would have had an am2+ board and any chip from AMD right now would fit into that board. AMD doesnt have the market share intel does, so it actually thinks about treating its customers right in giving upgrade paths, which btw are scoring them big points in the business sector. Gotta love being able to take a 3 year old compy and shove a brand new chip into it for 100-200 bucks and extend the life of the system vs spending 1000 on a new system.

The top Phenom II Quad cores will more than kick the crap out of your inhell box. If money is really tight you could even get a triple core. Oh and dont forget that you can take that DDR2 from your current setup and shove in an AM2+ board with a top end AMD chip and save yourself from having to buy new RAM as well.

freeagent

Should have never gone to the dark side as now you are paying for it by being stuck in a dead platform. If you stuck with AMD, you would have had an am2+ board and any chip from AMD right now would fit into that board. AMD doesnt have the market share intel does, so it actually thinks about treating its customers right in giving upgrade paths, which btw are scoring them big points in the business sector. Gotta love being able to take a 3 year old compy and shove a brand new chip into it for 100-200 bucks and extend the life of the system vs spending 1000 on a new system.

The top Phenom II Quad cores will more than kick the crap out of your inhell box. If money is really tight you could even get a triple core. Oh and dont forget that you can take that DDR2 from your current setup and shove in an AM2+ board with a top end AMD chip and save yourself from having to buy new RAM as well.

That was mighty impressive. The guy just asked a simple question, then you had to come up with this.. :rolleyes:

killem2,

If you still have a functioning 775 setup, but are looking into an amd quad setup, to save yourself all of that hassle, just get yourself an intel quad to cap off your rig, and sell your e8400.

OP
killem2

killem2

Invest in a nice water setup, turn her up to 4.5Ghz and wait for the 32nm quad's.

I honestly think I could get up to 4.5 on my air cooler. I can actually load windows and web surf on 4.5 but when I run something that pushes the memory it crashes its only 800mhz. This chip I have is freaking phenomenal.

OP
killem2

killem2

Dead platform? That's a little uncalled for. If I do upgrade to any of the higher end INTEL 775 quads, they kind of well embarrass current AMD cpus.

See here

The q9xxx series is beat out by some of the fastest quad amds but also requires ddr3 ram. Put it against ddr2 am2+ quads, and the differences is totally different. Also look how much that dead platform is still with in reach of this "new tech".

Also here.

See where the e8400 at 3.0 stands against some of these quads? Where are these KICK THE CRAP out of numbers.

However, its pretty clear you are a fan boy and I don't take your post seriously enough because its biased and filled with hate. It is also misleading. :temper:

I have no doubt a quad amd or intel is going to be faster given an app, game, or task eats 4 cores. If it only uses 2 that is my question. Because some of these intel quads are still very pricey and for that money I could get a mobo/amd chip but not if it isn't going to give me any increase then that answers my question. The Q9650 is friggin 325.00 bucks >_<, so you can see why I wanted to make this thread. Because AMD has always been the better price, at least until this e8400 stepped in when I was buying back in 2008.

Also I think you are naive if you think if AMD was in the same place as intel they wouldn't be upgrading sockets every 2-3 years. I've had amd, and I love them, and I am still extremely happy with my dual core, it's very powerful and the reviews and benchmarks on it speak for that, however when I bought it the top AMD quads and duals were just barely keeping up with mid range quads of Intel so I didn't think that was a smart choice to buy, why put my money with a company who isn't bothering to keep up with comp? Its why NV isn't getting my money for a gfx card this time around because of their BS pricing of cards that are getting spanked.

To be honest, the Q9400 is something I have been looking at, because it is consistently dropping in price and kills my e8400 in quad aps and is pretty much the same in dual. Then I can also over clock it as well since my cooler will handle quads.

Overall, if you support amd, that's cool, if you prefer them, that's cool, but don't try and come on here and LIE about information to make you feel better. At least be honest. If they are better, then I'll buy them, if they aren't then I wont. Easy as that. I don't have any brand loyalty because honestly I don't have the kinda money required to just blinding support something. I want value. I want future results.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket

When you put it this way, it adds a whole other dimension to the question. To be honest, the gains if any would be very minimal as the best you will probably do with a 955 or 965 would be 3.8ghz for daily use which would completely negate any possible advantage the newer architecture would have. :shrug: Keep your stuff.

Dooms101

Hmmm... I would definitely recommend doing a full upgrade. Part swapping can lead to bottlenecks. Spend like $400 on an i5-750 Quad, a good ASUS or Gigabyte 1156 board and 2x2gb of DDR3-1600mhz; then you wont need to worry for another 3 or 4 years =)

Intel i5-750 Lynnfield Quad - $199
ASUS P7P55 LX ATX P55 MoBo - $119 Link
G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 (7-8-7-24) - $110 Link

It totals around $430, which is pretty pricey for someone on a budget (not sure if you are.) Although I am a huge AMD fan boy, Intel's got the best value to performance setup with the i5-750 as far as high performance market goes. If you wanted to go AMD and save your *** from not being able to upgrade again, then I'd I go with the $120 PhenomII x3 720BE or obviously the PhenomII x4 955BE since you want a quad. The i5 will outperform because of turbo-boost, but when these are both OC'd (talking the i5 and 955BE) you'd get very similar speeds (around 4ghz.) From all the benchmarks I've seen, an i5 at stock does quite a bit better then the 955BE, but not by much.

NOVAA

If this is really what you want, then AMD doesn't really have anything that can outperform your cpu noticeably in a dual threaded game. A Phenom II will likely perform as well (especially because it looks like with your skills and setup you could probably get it close to 4.0) But your not likely to notice a difference. When games start having more than two threads, you'll notice. And just as a general computer using exprience, you'll notice. But it probably won't be any faster in that specific manner.

My advice would be either to do a complete overhaul of your rig, or just get a Q775 like you said and OC to hold yourself over for a year or so, when we have hexa-core processors and i7s are reasonably priced.

DVL

If this is really what you want, then AMD doesn't really have anything that can outperform your cpu noticeably in a dual threaded game. A Phenom II will likely perform as well (especially because it looks like with your skills and setup you could probably get it close to 4.0) But your not likely to notice a difference. When games start having more than two threads, you'll notice. And just as a general computer using exprience, you'll notice. But it probably won't be any faster in that specific manner.

My advice would be either to do a complete overhaul of your rig, or just get a Q775 like you said and OC to hold yourself over for a year or so, when we have hexa-core processors and i7s are reasonably priced.

I don't know man, I like to go in and assign certain tasks to certain cores that way if I'm running a dual core app, I can assign it two cores, and use the other two to run windows, media player, interwebz, so in that sense you can dedicate a full two cores vs battling with every other task running on the computer. Not to mention the massive jumps in performance in tasks that can run all four cores, like video encoding. I'd say going from the dual to the quad he'd see a performance boost, and the phenom II's are good chips.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Let windows do it. The effort you are making to do that, even if you use a program like process lasso, really gains you absolutely nothing.