• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these good setups for Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First you will want a 4K panel that supports 60Hz properly, there still aren't that many of them out there. (with the exception of the upcoming ASUS panel that is 4K + 144Hz)

Secondly, if you are yearning for a new build, don't go 4790k... Purely my opinion, but if you are going to throw down the money to upgrade anyway, just go Skylake with appropriate components.

Third, MSI vs Gigabyte? Who told you MSI was "better for gaming"? I use and love MSI products, but there is no "better for gaming" when it comes to motherboards. As far as the 2 companies go, just from what I've heard on various forums, Gigabyte seems to be far better with customer service/RMA experience whereas MSI seemingly comes up similar to ASUS in a 50/50 chance of getting everything sorted properly and in a timely fashion. No idea how true that is, but purely what I've found when doing my own research (particularly in relation to vid cards, but still gives an idea regardless).

I have a Sony XBR 900B tv 65". It supports uhd and dci 4K. I wonder if it truly supports 4K @ 60hz.

First you will want a 4K panel that supports 60Hz properly, there still aren't that many of them out there. (with the exception of the upcoming ASUS panel that is 4K + 144Hz)

Secondly, if you are yearning for a new build, don't go 4790k... Purely my opinion, but if you are going to throw down the money to upgrade anyway, just go Skylake with appropriate components.

Third, MSI vs Gigabyte? Who told you MSI was "better for gaming"? I use and love MSI products, but there is no "better for gaming" when it comes to motherboards. As far as the 2 companies go, just from what I've heard on various forums, Gigabyte seems to be far better with customer service/RMA experience whereas MSI seemingly comes up similar to ASUS in a 50/50 chance of getting everything sorted properly and in a timely fashion. No idea how true that is, but purely what I've found when doing my own research (particularly in relation to vid cards, but still gives an idea regardless).

I have a Sony XBR 900B it supports dci and uhd 4K. I have to find out if it supports 60hz at this resolution.

I was thinking the same thing processor wise. I could clock it to 4.5 ghz and get 3000 ddr4 ram with the 980gtx Ti.

Last edited by a moderator:

+1 for Gigabyte service that I have had.

+1 for Gigabyte service that I have had.

I guess what is got me so enticed to use MSI is their military grade class five components, and also their click bios. Also the fact that someone had told me that they have it set up where you can overclock to Seaview wow currently in windows specifically for gaming so it just seemed that MSI was geared completely towards gaming but maybe that's just their marketing campaign LOL

I guess what is got me so enticed to use MSI is their military grade class five components, and also their click bios. Also the fact that someone had told me that they have it set up where you can overclock to Seaview wow currently in windows specifically for gaming so it just seemed that MSI was geared completely towards gaming but maybe that's just their marketing campaign LOL

Just marketing really. Newer motherboards offer UEFI bios setups that offer extremely easy to maneuver bios screens with mouse support.

4k 144hz? I didn't think DP1.3 could pass enough bandwidth... Links?

I googled and didn't find anything, thanks for the links though. I knew it was too good to be true though, freesync and TN :(

1440 IPS 144hz or 4k TN 144hz that's got to be one hell of a good question...

I know there are plenty of GSYNC 4k IPS but all are 60hz as of now. The dream: 4k IPS 144hz ≤4ms G-Sync and Freesync flavors.

Anyhow, back on topic :)

2560 x 1440 p resolution =3686400, there is no 2k or 4k it's just marketing.:)

Last edited:
If you want 4K you need to look at a two card setup in my opinion. If not you will have to water down a lot of settings. You'd be better off looking for a deal on a couple of GTX 980's to SLI or a crossfire setup of a couple of AMD cards. 4K is not mainstream and still very much in development, you will be paying a high premium for being one of the newer adapters of this technology. 1440 P has some great options right now and a lot of higher refresh rate monitors that just hit the market or are about to. Lot's of nice wide screen and curved 1440P monitors to choose from. If you're just hell bent on 4K have at it, but in my opinion we are not anywhere near a one GPU solution for 4K yet, who the heck wants to drop so much cash with a single GPU setup with a 980 Ti and still have to turn down settings. I personally would rather spend less $$ on a lower res and get higher quality settings and higher FPS, but hey everyone is different.

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/

G-Sync will cost more than free sync too, and usually both in monitors and GPU hardware, but definitely always in monitors. It's an interesting time hardware wise right now and as soon as new stuff starts dropping you will see the deals popping up on the used market, because of all the guys that have to have the latest and greatest right now.

Just some stuff to consider, but good luck and let us know what you decide. :D

2560 x 1440 p resolution =3686400, there is no 2k or 4k it's just marketing.:)

No, 2K and 4K are actual resolutions.
2K is the digital cinema resolution of 2048x1080p.
1440p, or QHD, is a monitor standard of 2560x1440p.
UHD-1, commonly referred to as 4K, is a monitor standard of 3840x2160p.
Actual 4K is another cinema standard of 4096x2160p.

Definitely the Dell.

If you want 4K you need to look at a two card setup in my opinion. If not you will have to water down a lot of settings. You'd be better off looking for a deal on a couple of GTX 980's to SLI or a crossfire setup of a couple of AMD cards. 4K is not mainstream and still very much in development, you will be paying a high premium for being one of the newer adapters of this technology. 1440 P has some great options right now and a lot of higher refresh rate monitors that just hit the market or are about to. Lot's of nice wide screen and curved 1440P monitors to choose from. If you're just hell bent on 4K have at it, but in my opinion we are not anywhere near a one GPU solution for 4K yet, who the heck wants to drop so much cash with a single GPU setup with a 980 Ti and still have to turn down settings. I personally would rather spend less $$ on a lower res and get higher quality settings and higher FPS, but hey everyone is different.

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/

G-Sync will cost more than free sync too, and usually both in monitors and GPU hardware, but definitely always in monitors. It's an interesting time hardware wise right now and as soon as new stuff starts dropping you will see the deals popping up on the used market, because of all the guys that have to have the latest and greatest right now.

Just some stuff to consider, but good luck and let us know what you decide. :D

On 4K you definitely want the 6GB on vRAM, I would stick to the 980Ti then add another later.

No, 2K and 4K are actual resolutions.
2K is the digital cinema resolution of 2048x1080p.
1440p, or QHD, is a monitor standard of 2560x1440p.
UHD-1, commonly referred to as 4K, is a monitor standard of 3840x2160p.
Actual 4K is another cinema standard of 4096x2160p.

Actually QUOTE:2K resolution is a generic term for display devices or content having horizontal resolution of approximately 2,000 pixels. 4K resolution, also called 4K, refers to a display device or content having horizontal resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Thanks of for all the tips. I am using my mac pro until i build my gaming pc in a few months. I noticed on games that are a bit older and less demanding my setup is too fast and I get frame tearing and sutddering. I was playing dead island @60hz in the game option and was getting 200 fps. So it didnt line up. Once I switched to the game option of 85 hz, and put on wait for v-sync in my catylist it then locked in at 60hz and was butter smooth. Some games still studder tho.

What I mean by studder is if you turn to look with the camera (usually right thumbstick) and turn consistently and smooth, the screen will do a quick studder or lag every few seconds. How is this fixed? Or is this my thunderbolt causing the issues? I believe its 60hz @ 1440p and is 12ms response time.

I know I'm late but if it were me I'd suggest either keeping your X58 system and use a 980TI or upgrading to Z170, no Z97 in order to future proof it... Also regarding brand, I'm an avid supporter for EVGA and I'm aware I'm one of a few. IMO their product support has been satisfactory since I started buying their product's in '07 and their warranty process is the best barnone compared to other other companies I've dealt w/ [middle finger to u Asus].

I just did rma with MSI (vid card) and it was just a standard rma, you can fill out the form online or call them and they will email you the details
got my replacement card back within a week after they received it

I would not buy any gigabyte gpu's though, seemed to be plagued with nothing but bad bios, overheating, and general qc issues
Their newer motherboards also seem to have bios bugs problems and their solution seems to be to release a new revision rather then fixing the bugs

Back