• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are they transferable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

So i have my M.2 in my secondary rig at the moment.
So I have 2 questions.
1, when I go to put this in my main rig (Different motherboard and everything) will I have to reformat?
2, If I install my 1tb in this one to load it with things, will I have to reformat it when I put it in my main rig?

Would it be better just to wait till the main rig is up to load it with what I want?

trents

Answers to your questions in the order you asked them:
1. If you are using Windows 10 on the target system and both motherboards have native chipset drivers built into Windolws 10 then it is likely you will not have to reinstall the OS. Windows 10 has a lot of native drivers for hardware but if the motherboard of the target system is very new technology from a chipset standpoint you may have problems. On my Windows 10 test bench I seem to have no problem swapping different motherboards in and out.
2. Is the 1TB the storage drive and not the OS drive? You will probably not have to reformat if both the system drive and the storage drive are using the same partition scheme. If the system drive of the target computer is using the mbr partition method and the storage drive is using GPT then you will have to reformat.

Last edited: