• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are we ready for the new core...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsquared_uk

This new core will be coming out soon, and it might be that it's the best thing since sliced bread or it might be awful. I was thinking, we need some guys to be ready when it comes out to give it a thrashing and report back here with what they find.

If it's a lot quicker and thus more productive then we need to get everyone using it ASAP, likewise if it slows us down we need ways to avoid it. If we're all working as a team and keeping our eyes open then we could steal a march on the 'other 2' - if it's good then everyone will be using it eventually, but if we all start first, or have better flags for it or whatever then we'll at least gain on them a little.

Any thoughts/volunteers...?

Hrmm...I dont have PIV but, my friend does and his thing is so slow. I do about 10 Wu's in the time he does 2. Hopefully this helps him out. But anywas I would be willing to report back here with results from the new core.:p

Bon3thugz43v3r said:
Hrmm...I dont have PIV but, my friend does and his thing is so slow. I do about 10 Wu's in the time he does 2. Hopefully this helps him out. But anywas I would be willing to report back here with results from the new core.:p

Any PIV should be a lot faster than that unless it's chewing on Genomes

I got a p4 3ghz with ht. I'd be happy to try it out if you want and report back :D . Its doing gromacs 24/7, so it should be a good indication of whether the new cores good or bad.

i have a P4 that migrates between 2.2 and 2.6 ghz, and i will also run it on my main rig (in sig) and try to give a summary of the production differences. Currently my main rig should produce around 550 ppw and 300 for my p4 (when it is overclocked...i think)
ill let you guys know how it goes when it comes out :)

Are we going to need any certain flags for this core or will the -advmethods still work? It doesn't matter for me since I fold on 2 amd's but 2 of the guys I know use p4's.

pip said:

it probly won't because your cpu doesn't have sse2 support

Alright, that's what I needed to hear.

So it looks like I won't be affected by the new core.

A new core with no beta test ???
Woldn't it just be the final version of Gromacs ?

Ben721 said:

Alright, that's what I needed to hear.

So it looks like I won't be affected by the new core.

But use the -advmethods tag.
I just turned it on for my celly600@1008 and the points per week look like they've doubled or something. Working on gromacs now

Back