• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arecibo radio telescope destroyed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I understand that this iconic telescope is about to collapse. It is beyond upgrade or refurb. But there is good news. Aside from turning it into a skate park.

Here is a list of currently active, and much newer, radio telescopes that are able to carry on. And perform far more functions.

Except Arecibo was by far the most capable radar telescope in existence. Yes there is a larger dish in China, but it does not have radar capabilities. Sad day indeed.

I understand that this iconic telescope is about to collapse. It is beyond upgrade or refurb. But there is good news. Aside from turning it into a skate park.

Here is a list of currently active, and much newer, radio telescopes that are able to carry on. And perform far more functions.

Newer isn't always better. A large dish functions as well as it ever does. Capabilities can be upgraded through associated equipment around it, which they have done. There are not direct replacements for all the functionality provided by Arecibo, for example through the use of arrays of smaller dishes which have different advantages and disadvantages. However you look at it, this is a loss for the world at large.

My understanding is that two cables supporting the receiver broke, and another was in immediate danger of breaking. The receiver actually falling to the ground yesterday probably caused irreparable damage.

for those that may have never witnessed this in person- it is unbelievably impressive. Sad day indeed

My understanding is that two cables supporting the receiver broke, and another was in immediate danger of breaking. The receiver actually falling to the ground yesterday probably caused irreparable damage.
An article I saw stated this was in bad shape for a while. They looked into repairing it but determined it wasn't possible/cost too much. So this collapse was just the end of the road. :(

My understanding is that some of these cables needed to be replaced a while ago, but the NSF lacked the funds to do so. They almost sold the facility to a university in Florida. There were two sets of cables, some that were used in the original construction and others that were added when the Gregorian dome was installed. One cable broke a few weeks ago, then they found a second cable badly damaged or broken and determined that it was too dangerous to proceed with repairs.

Hey guys! I lost my log in info to my old account but I made a new one with a familiar name for some of you. What are you guys all doing now that the scope is destroyed and Seti@home is shut down?

Hey guys! I lost my log in info to my old account but I made a new one with a familiar name for some of you. What are you guys all doing now that the scope is destroyed and Seti@home is shut down?

Folding@home. It is doing Covid-19 research along with cancer and several other disease research. Join Team 32!

You know you can ask a moderator to help get the info on your old user name back.

Back