• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARG!! ATi driver hell!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishDog3

ARG!! ATi driver hell! please help!!!! :(

Ok I just got my 9500pro to replace my dead gf2 ultra and I am pretty much about ready to send it right back to ati with five pounds of C4 attached. I uninstalled my nVidia drivers, power strip, riva tuner, refresh rate lock, nvhardpage, and the card from the divaice manager. When I install the 3.4 drivers, than the control panel I get to go though this lovely hell:

- On reboot checkdisk runs, than I get numorous "Windows delayed write failed" for many files and what looks like some registry keys.
- System locks up or restarts, only way to get it to boot is to "start up with last known good settings"
- checkdisk now runs every time I boot.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, tried using some old drivers that came with the card. But no matter what I do I have those boot issues with 3.4, and the drivers do not run when I do get it to boot. There are 2 entries in the device manager, VGA primary, and VGA Secondary, both have the yellow "!" of death, the control panel gives the error that there are no ATi drivers installed. And when I try to use add/remove programs to uninstall the drivers I get the error "Unable to initialize". Also when I use Driver Cleaner 1.0 it dosnt find any ATi files, and I also used it to make sure there were no nVidia files left.

I am ready to punch my monitor and what makes it worse is that the few sugestions I have gotten so far were to check the rage3d forums... RAGE3D IS *&%$#@& DOWN!!!

Anyone got some bright ideas before I go off the deep end? have been PCless for 2 weeks now waiting for this damn card to come GURRRRRRR! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

skid

Reformat, yo. You can "never" get rid of the old detonators i think I heard.

Evnas

I would suggest a format. As batboy has found out, those nVidia drivers leave all sorts of junk on your computer that cause massive problems if its not all removed manually.

OP
FishDog3

FishDog3

Ugh... The only way I was able to get it to run finaly was to "update" with winxp and re-install sp1, and even then not all of the drivers are working right. So I am going to have to format which is kind of annoying since I just reformated about a month ago.

Also, as I was afraid of, the card is proforming like crap in CS, sub 30 fps in open areas on aztec. Hopefully that will be resolved with a reformat and reinstall.

Shade00

I don't know if this would be contributing, but if your FSB is at 127 and your PCI divider is 1/4, then you're running the PCI bus out of spec. ATI cards have a tendency to not like out-of-spec PCI buses very much.

james.miller

after un-installing the det's, did you reboot and delete all the nv* files from the windows directory? that causes havoc if you dont......