• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Argh!!! Omfg!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Yeah, looks like a deal for anyone that nabbed it.

I personally would not, just because Tyan engineers their boards to require Registered/ECC RAM no matter how much you have installed. That, and it doesn't like Crucial Reg/ECC either...

Master Mitch

Tyan engineers their boards to require Registered/ECC RAM no matter how much you have installed. That, and it doesn't like Crucial Reg/ECC either...

Actually, my 2460 Tiger MP is running (almost) just fine on a Kingston 128 meg unbuffered DIMM. My Crucial reg/ECC RAM worked perfectly for a month before going to heck (haven't been able to test it in another system). And I say 'almost' because the machine doesn't like to reboot without a little time to cool off (this is a new habit that it has developed).

I think that my particular board is faulty, and that I probably ought to see about getting a new one, but it has served me fairly well first with Crucial, then unbuffered RAM.

Master Mitch said:

Actually, my 2460 Tiger MP is running (almost) just fine on a Kingston 128 meg unbuffered DIMM. My Crucial reg/ECC RAM worked perfectly for a month before going to heck (haven't been able to test it in another system). And I say 'almost' because the machine doesn't like to reboot without a little time to cool off (this is a new habit that it has developed).

I think that my particular board is faulty, and that I probably ought to see about getting a new one, but it has served me fairly well first with Crucial, then unbuffered RAM.

The hot restart problem is the vrm2 getting warm. The 2460 runs kinda hot normally on the vrm2 so a side fan case with the fan blowing in is ideal.
My Lan Li case doesn't have a side fan so I just hang a cheap 80 mm fan over the vrm2 which is right over the rear of the agp slot.
Both of my 2460s are now bulletproof stable. No restart problems.

SickBoy said:
Yeah, looks like a deal for anyone that nabbed it.

I personally would not, just because Tyan engineers their boards to require Registered/ECC RAM no matter how much you have installed. That, and it doesn't like Crucial Reg/ECC either...

ECC/registered ram does promote stability. Not a bad thing.
My MP boards run great with crucial ram.

The 2460s are going for about $100 used, refurb, or ebay. Just keep an eye out.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
64026402 said:

The hot restart problem is the vrm2 getting warm. The 2460 runs kinda hot normally on the vrm2 so a side fan case with the fan blowing in is ideal.
My Lan Li case doesn't have a side fan so I just hang a cheap 80 mm fan over the vrm2 which is right over the rear of the agp slot.
Both of my 2460s are now bulletproof stable. No restart problems.

Both of my Asus' have the same exact problem. My main one more than the other but it almost always requires me to shut it off and leave them for a few minutes.

Jon said:

Both of my Asus' have the same exact problem. My main one more than the other but it almost always requires me to shut it off and leave them for a few minutes.

I haven't had any problems with my MPX boards but if your vrm2 temps run over 60 then hot restarts tend to stall. If you suspect this then put a fan over it and see if it fixes it.