• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Argh! xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Miknow

Trying to unlock my 2 xp 1600 and its a pain in the arse im using bulb grease......Now for the question what did you use to unlock your xp and another thing where in the world do you get conductive silver laquer like in the Tom video

DipStickTony

I think cheapo themal grease (the white stuff) and defogger is the best way, faster then superglue/defogger, and VERY easy to clean up.

Takes me about 45 seconds total to unlock a processor now.

DipStickTony

yeah its a small little bottle with a copper colored liquid inside...mine was ~5$ at autozone. Just walk in and ask for Defogger Repair Kit. I cant remember where it was exactly but it was in some wierd isle that I wouldnt have looked in right away

Ragnarok

Registered
Before going further, my opinion is that superglue/defogger is probably the best way to unlock an XP, hands down.

That said...

If you were really ballsy, you could solder 30 guage (is this thin enough?) wire to the L1 connecters. You could then post pics and be the envy of the O/C community for the next couple hours... :D

No. I was kidding. Don't really do this.

DipStickTony

I still think that the standard white thermal paste is better, it is non conductive and fills the pits very easily. Also you cant really mess up by applying too much glue and covering the actual L1 bridges, or using tape to isolate the area. Clean the black of the pits with an eraser, smear some white goop, clean up white goop, lazer cuts are now white, apply defogger.

For anyone doing it the first time I suggest something easily cleanable. This is not hard to do, but I did mess it up pretty bad with the superglue method on my first try. I used a bit to much glue and it started to mound up a little higher then needed, I then used an exacto knife to clean it up, and scratched the chip and showed what looked like copper underneath the green wafer.

I took my time and tried not to be careless, but it would have been much easier if I could have just wiped it up.

Btw after I got it to work the second time around (on a new processor), It took me about 60 seconds to complete, the thermal goop/ defogger method takes me around 45sec total.

Just my opinion though.

RPM_Computing

I found the Super glue to be a great filler as long as you have the dots covered with tape first, apply the glue and let set for about 1 min, remove the tape and the dots are fine. Paint the bridges with defogger with the same method using tape to seperate any unwanted smears to other bridges. The process is short and painless.

OnDborder

Superglue is a pain in the butt to clean off..
For a beginner I would suggest clear nail polish and defogger or conductive ink.. It is alot easier to clean off when the unlock doesn't click with polish remover ..
Also, when you try to paint the bridges my suggestion to use is a toothpick that has been split long ways 4 or 5 times, in order to have the skinniest end possible..

And also, I would suggest that you do not use a needle, pin, or any metal object to "scrape" on the chip. Many of hours have been gone repairing mistakes made by those. Use the toothpick and scrape gently..