• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arrr.... running 3D mark restarts my computer now...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

Ok, I recentley went back to the detonator 40.72's. I ran 3DMark 2001 SE once with some video card OC and it finished.

So I decided to OC my vid card a little more, to the settings I had it at with the 41.03 drivers. I ran 3DMark 2001 and came back a little later to find my PC was booting up, so it made my PC restart. When I got into windows my clock frequencies were back to 250 core and 446 memory. So I just bumped it up to 260 core and turned AA off and ran 3DMark again. I watched this time, and right when it started the nature test, about 1 second later my PC restarted! This time it scanned my hard drive when it booted up. When I got into windows an error report poped up, I just ignored it, also the clock speeds were at defualt again. What is going on? Is it my video card?

My system specs are in my sig.

btw, I'm running it now with no vid card OC and it went through the nature test without rebooting... But I'll be damned if I'm gonna run this Gainward Golden Sample GF4 Ti4200 at default clock speeds. Especially since I had been running it stable for quite some time with it OCed.

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
3dmark restarted for me (with a radeon 8500 at stock) with no overclock. i don't know if you should read too much into it.

Last edited:
OP
gingo

gingo

What do you mean it OC'd for you? How do you know if it did?

repo man11

Did you uninstall the 41.03's? You might have to go into your registry and remove all traces of the 41.03 drivers.
My Gainward Ti 4200 started giving me pink screens and rebooting, and I had to RMA it. But it wasn't a Golden Sample. I did mildly overclock it, but it never locked up or displayed artifacts, just started giving me problems on boot up, pink screens, and finally unable to complete 3D Mark or play games.
I'm being very careful with this one.

OP
gingo

gingo

I used the system restore feature in Win XP to go back to the time before I even installed the 41.03's. But if I look in C:\Nvidia\Win2k-xp\ there are 2 folders, the 40.72 and the 41.03 folder. The 41.03 folder only appeared after installing the 41.03 drivers, wonder why it did not delete it.... But I am sure that I am running the 40.72's right now.

OP
gingo

gingo

Now it just kicks me to the desktop after a couple tests....... Even at default settings......

ACF

Same 3dmark rebooting problem or it freezes on the nature test. Even at default speeds. However, my fsb is at 166. Something strange with these 40.72s...

OP
gingo

gingo

hmm, I have now strangly finished 3 3DMark tests in a row.

This is some weird stuff....

Say I wanted to completely remove all the video card drivers from my system, I mean COMPLETELY(as in just reformatted and installed windows), and start fresh, how would i do it?

Maxvla

gingo said:
hmm, I have now strangly finished 3 3DMark tests in a row.

This is some weird stuff....

Say I wanted to completely remove all the video card drivers from my system, I mean COMPLETELY(as in just reformatted and installed windows), and start fresh, how would i do it?
uninstall the video card would be sufficient to get rid of any attached files.

ghost in the machine?