• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artic Silver 2 , Bad dose ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
Hi all I had an intresting experence today.If you see sig you will see the system,That I cooled by close to 7c

Here is what happened I set up My old 1.4 @ 1.53 for the wife.
I had the SK6 with a delta screamer on it, my old case and all the stuff is the exact as it was when I ran it,EXCEPT I installed a Alpha PAL 6035 Heatsink on it this time and used the thermal paste that shipped with the pal 6035.It is her email system so I dident get too fussy with it.

Temps prior On that box with Artic silver 2 and the SK6 maxed at 52c.This ****ed me off bad so I reinstalled the heat sink many times with the Artic 2, tried more paste tried less,Installed a skim coat and installed a heavy layer but it always ran at 52c max.

The alpha Pal 6035 With the screamer and stock paste MAX AT 41c,That ****ed me off badly I removed the screamer 38cfm jet engine from the pal and installed its stock fan,TEMPS ARE 46C MAX !!!

Now my dual rig you see below was hitting 45c and 47c on the 2 processors.{Some reason this is common on dual AMD two diff temps}SO after I saw the change on the old rig I installed stock paste on My dualies and reinstalled my screamer 38 cfm deltas.
Temps NOW ARE MAX 40C AND 38C !!

Has any one ever had Artic Silver 2 perform badly ? I have had 3 systems running it and all had temps i thought where High.And after this parade I know my temps had been high on the last 3 because of artic silver 2 !!!!!!

Could be that you got part of a bad batch. Those temps are way out of wack no matter what paste you use. Something is definately wrong. Also remember ASII doesn't reach it's max thermal conductivity for a few days, usually 1-2 days.

Your SK6 might need a lap job since heatsinks when mounted on a core for along time will get an outline of a core imprinted to it.

And as CM mentioned the ASII doesn't settle 100% until 1-2 days.

THE AS2 was on for months lol.after each reinstall i waited a week and tried it again on the single box i had.got sick of watching temps so i set bios to shut down at 60c.

This AS2 may take a day or 2 to set but to boot up fresh and be so much hotter is not good.I cant see it cooling 7c better in 2 days,Reguardless of its "setting properties".It may be a bad batch .And to perform better in 2 days it would need to cool by 10c better to prove it self as a better paste.To cool as good aint what I bought it for !!!

I kinda think the issue is settling of the aluminum in it to one side of the tube,This sounds SILLY I know but gravity dont care if you are a tiny micro or a airplane.I am going to dispense the paste in a straight line on clean glass to see if there is a color difference.

NOTE I UPDATED SIG WITH NEW TEMP FROM THHE CHEAP PASTE LOL

Did you try the PAL with AS2? From your post it looks as though you only ran the SK6 with AS2 and the PAL with the stock paste.

What are you using to measure the temps with? If you are relying on the in-socket diode, it will be fooled by a lot of different things and is not accurate. Just the difference in airflow patterns due to heatsink design differences will cause different readings, even if the ACTUAL core temp are identical.

This is why Joe C drills holes in the blocks and mounts a thermocouple IN THE BLOCK on every test he does. Motherboard temp monitoring is not to be trusted for heatsink comparisons.

Case in point: The Glaciator measured cooler in Joe's tests than the Alpha, but got higher readings on the in-socket diode, because the airflow pattern (which directed warm air at the diode) was causing the diode to read higher, even though the Glaciator was cooling better.

All my heat sink fans suck air I dont have them blow down on the sink,I prefer it this way to avoid pushing warm air on other components.And I have had it booth ways to test performance the temps are the same blow or suck.{LOLGota laugh at that comment}

I am not looking for C/W so to bore holes is way to far a mod in my book.But the sucking eliminates your diod heating issue.

If you read closely you will see I had 3 AMD 1.53 gig processors.
All three had the SK6,Delta 38cfm,and Artic Silver 2.
All three have a vcore of 1.80
Al three ran at temps 47c or higher
Lets eliminate the Epox with the Alpha Pal 6035 and look at the dual board.

In My dual system I ran the above set up for a max of 47c.I removed sinks twice and reapplied A/S to be sure I had good transfer and temps stayed the same 47c MAX.

I removed the sinks and installed basic heat transfer compound and lowered my temps by 7c !!!!! Am I nuts or does this indicate a change in temps ? Same board same fans same air flow direction.? How can all these responses point at everything but the artic silver ? Am I that deft, same every thing except heat transfer compound drasticly reduced temps and all people say is maby my diode is getting warm air blown on it,Or did I drill out my heat sink ?

The only reason I posted this was because from my axia 1.2,Athlon 1.4 at 1.53 and my new Xp 1.53 processors all ran at temps In the low fifties or high forties.I always thought the SK6 would cool better so I was always annoyed at the temps I got.Maby others have temps like I did All I am suggesting is to try basic compound that I know most all of us have around and see if temps drop cause you may also have a low quality tube of
Artic Silver like I did.If hardware can be DOA so can Artic Silver cant it ?

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure that you tried the same sinks with and without AS on the same setup.

The right guy to ask would be Nevin (he IS Arctic Silver), but I think it is possible that you had a bad batch. Send him a PM with a link to this thread.

N_D

Back