• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Article on BX/Tualatin Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmsandrsn

It took me long enough but I just finished an article on the BX/Tualatin mod. I'm going to go ahead and submit it to Joe and Ed now. Hopefully they will not have a problem publishing it. I have started this thread beforehand so that any questions can be directed here.

Last edited:
i will be getting celeron 1.0a from newegg soon. i will put the chip in moded msi 6905 master and give my old p2b-s some ungodly power :)

dr0p0ut

question, should i get celeron 1.2 instead. would p2b-s take it?
also, due to the old board, i think i have to run the chip at 1.8v.
will this high volt kill the chip?

do not get a celeron 1.1a or 1.2 for any p2b-xx board. They will not run at all unless you set the fsb to 66Mhz (bios bug, affects cpus with higher than 10 multiplier and 100Mhz or more FSB, regardless if it's a tualatin or coppermine, system will not boot)!
Or you could use the powerleap bios (but I think this only exist for the p2b and p2b-f).
Interestingly enough, that bug does not affect cpus with multiplier 13, so you can indeed use celeron 1300.

If your board cannot handle lower than 1.8V (depends in your case on your board revision) I'd suggest staying away from this mod. There are people which run them at higher voltages, but since 1.75V is the maximum absolute rating, you can be certain it will suffer damage in the long term (running a tualatin at 1.8V is about as bad as running a coppermine at 2.2V).

mczak

BX with Tualatin

On the page of your artical where you widen the holes in the slocket you show four holes widened but the text refers to only three pins that have to be sleeved. Is something missing?

I believe the text right by the picture indicates that you have to widen the holes for the pins that are being insulated (3 of them) AS WELL as the other pin that this being connected. The pin that is being connected is the one by itself over on the left side. The main purpose for making it wider is so that wire loop fits down into the hole a little bit better which should make the CPU a little more level (although far from perfectly level).

great article....i was wondering when someone would crawl through those 700+ posts to show the methodical way :)

Nice! love to see a person's face when they see the P2 @ 1400 :)

Can I do the same mod with my P3 (via chip) system?

yeah that's an easier way doer but it is also weak.

?can i put a slot 1 hsf on a slocket?
?is there really no way a generic slocket will work? they are much cheaper and cheaper is good, except in this case i guess.

I'm contemplating on trying this with a Gigabye 6BXC, which no one (to my knowledge) has tried, and which Powerleap says it won't work.

Has anybody been able to get this to work on a mobo powerleap said wouldn't?

Any comments?

Powerleap says your board is incompatible - "bios hangup". So I guess your chances are next to nil, since there is not much reason why the bios would hang up if you use the powerleap adapter and not hang up if you use your modded cpu/adapter.
That said, I successfully got it to work on a Asus P2B, which is also incompatible if you ask powerleap (they have now a different bios to make it compatible, which I don't have). But this case is a bit different, because the well-known problem with that board is it has a bios bug which only affects cpus with multiplier 11 and 12 (regardless if it's coppermine or tualatin). Powerleap tested with the 1.2 Celeron, and it didn't boot. But I took the 1.0A and it worked (the 1.3 would work too, but at that time I didn't know this, and I would have taken the 1.0A anyway because it runs at 1330Mhz without hassle)
So, it *might* be possible it works if you use not the same cpu as powerleap used for testing, but I really doubt the gigabyte board has the same stupid bug the asus p2b series has :-(

mczak

What are you's talking about BX ? Like the BX MOBO in my sig or a different kind ?

just wondering :) would I be able to put a Tually in my mobo ? if I were to get a slotket and do whatever else it would take ?

Would the "Intel SE440BX-2 MOBO" be able to handle speeds slightly in excess of 1.3Ghz ?

you know what would rock, is if someone would put up a page where they list what motherboards do and dont work... it would be easy, could even start a thread titled "which motherboards work with tualatin mod", simple enough

Back