• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ashes 2 ashes, dust 2 dust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt__chambers

Registered
weeeeell... I attempted to install my P4 on a new mobo I had just recently bought. I power up and wasn't getting any video signal from the computer after power on. I checked everything and couldn't find the problem. Finally I checked the CPU pins and it seems that 2 pins turned to black dust as well as the sockets for the pins on the motherboard. I am getting the motherboard replaced but my CPU is past warranty. Should I attempt to put the CPU into my replacement motherboard or just forget it and make it a fancy paperweight? The 2 pins are a little black and about 3/4 to 1/2 the original length.

WARNING LARGE PICS AHEAD... as you know, my good PC got wiped out, it had all the image editing appz...

in this image you can see the damage done to my motherboard

in this image you can see the damage done to my CPU

in this image you can see the size of the melted pin compared to the rest

No don't put that back into a new mobo - asking for trouble. BTW, what did you take those pics with? Excellent macros...

my digital camera has a macro zoom function...

sooo... i should just throw out the procesor and try anew?

matt__chambers said:
my digital camera has a macro zoom function...

sooo... i should just throw out the procesor and try anew?
Well if it were me I wouldn't try that cpu in a new board. Doesn't seem very likely to work after that anyway.

What make and model digital cam? I'm about to dump my kodak 290 and was eyeing the nikon 5000.

well this is an old Epson 850Z 2.1 megapixel so anything is better than this by now. It is a little over a year old.

Why won't Intel RMA it? Try to force them to RMA it anyways afterall it wasn't your fault. Hey what kind of PSU do you have? Not very unlikely that it should do that.

I have an ENERMAX EG301P-VB 300W. Do you really think Intel would RMA the CPU? It is past warranty and they might just try to play it off as a botched overclock. Other than the phone contacts on Intel's website, how else could I RMA the CPU? Do the have any type of online servicing or contacts? I mean, they don't even use 1-800 numbers... I am already in the hole because f this ordeal... now I have to pay shipping.

Also... for NEWEGG, do the pay for return shipping on RMA products?

matt__chambers said:
Also... for NEWEGG, do the pay for return shipping on RMA products?
Only from them to you

sry to see what happened.

Well... my friend bought the CPU from NEWEGG a while back. I bought it off of him because he was upgrading to the Northwood. 50 bucks too, a real good deal... I know the CPU was good... we did this at a LAN party and it was his running CPU until we both upgraded there, mine melted, and his works but isn't getting enough voltage for some reason.

also.. can anyone point me to a site where it benchmarks a Pentium 4 with RDRAM with a Penitum 4 with SDRAM?

Last edited:
The excellent quality photos shows that pin socket #A19 melted.
(The plastic insulator melted slightly around the pin hole)
This pin is one of the 85 VCC power supply pins used by this P4.
Since the total intensity current absorbed py a P4 is around 50Amp more or less depending on the frequency, temperature and process, a high current can flow through any of these power supply pins. Therefore, the cause might be a bent or broken cpu pin inducing arcing or a defective P4. It might also be a defective motherboard power supply.
The P4 could be repaired (a delicate and tedious affair) and tested again on another checked motherboard making sure that
all the pins are correctly inserted. Ideally, the voltage and current
consumption should be monitored to make sure that the processor is not defective.
As far as the motherboard is concerned, the VCC voltage should
be tested without any processor inserted. Anyway, the 478 pins zif socket is defective and should be changed wich is an impossible job wihout special rework soldering tools.

well, i'm the friend that sold the P4 to matt. what he meant was that newegg only has a 30 day warranty on processers and memory. we didn't think that intel would replace the p4. i mean they don't even have an 800 number for support. but i guess matt will have to fool around with intel support for a while. it really was a site to see. when we took the heatsink off to reseat the chip is smelled kinda funny. when we took the processer out, i saw the burn marks. all i could say was "well ****". i sure am glad it didn't happen to me. whew.

by the way. my 1.6A is now at 1.93, not 1.8 like the bottom says. just havn't gotten to changing it

as much as I want Intel to take the chip back... I almost want P4 keychain equally as bad...

we didn't think that intel would replace the p4. i mean they don't even have an 800 number for support

In fact Intel DOES have an 800 number, 800-628-8686, to be exact, for U.S. and Canada. and Intel WILL replace your chip, i ram three chips in total so far, two 800eb and one P-s 1.26. I am still waitin' for the last one, i ram it, but don't know if they will actually replace one back..i lapped the ish, so it is a little abvious..:( (come on come on, just ram the dame thing back!)

w00t!

Intel agreed to 1-time replace my CPU. This has turned out to be in my favor. Thanks to everyone who listened to me ranting :D

Back