• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aspire 500w PSU... What Trash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiMpShiN

I have a Aspire 500w psu that came with my computer case. This psu it really of poor quality, the flow is constantly fluctuating causing the computer to restart without warning. Instead of buying a new power supply is there another alternative such as making some modifications if possible?

larrymoencurly

Air flow? Current flow?

I found that fans are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and people can hear even small changes in RPM, so this may not be anything to worry about.

Current flow changes all the time as stuff turns on and off rapidly.

Voltage doesn't flow.

Is there any chance that a connection is loose, maybe because of a bad wire crimp? Or is this 500W Aspire built lighter than a 250W Fortron/Sparkle? Some PSUs have empty spots on their circuit boards for extra diodes or transistors, either for higher quality versions or higher power models, and maybe adding those parts will help. But they'll probalby cost as much as a better PSU, unless you can get them from junked ones. Also the added parts have to match the originals almost exactly or they won't share the load equally.

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

im glad you said that fans are sensitive to the flow of power and that a person can hear it. when i run a benchmarking program or something like prime 95 or Sandra when i choose for a heavy stress or something all the fans in the computer start spinning really fast i know this for sure because of an increase in sound and the fact that i have a tornado and i can hear it getting louder as soon as i click the mouse to tress.

and i checked the connections and they're all good.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
It would be very well worth your while to trash that PSU... Cheaper PSU's have been known to die and take valuable hardware with them when stressed too far. My system runs great with my $27 300W Fortron, but most people go for the 350W for about $10 more. You should seriously consider them as an option- its an inexpensive upgrade that you'll be happy you invested in.

CrashOveride

What Gautam said...
I don't think there is any reletivly easy way to improve that PSU, just trash it (or not use it in a good computer) and get a 350w Forton or maybe 530w... Inexpensive but high quality.

dalilman52

yeah brian, definitely get a fortron 530w if u still want all that high-wattage u were getting (or thought u were getting) they are pretty cheap and since u are made of money, BUY IT NOW

JERRY VANDELAY INDUSTRIES

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

so its down to pc power and cooling, and fortron... i see

im gonna check all the difference models.

i know where to get a fortron but where can i get a pc power and cooling psu locally?

dalilman52

im pretty sure only specialty stores sell it, ull have to post a thread asking where they sell it, im not so sure directronics sells em, but ive seen some of em in the psu clearance area at the clearance sale

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

i guess then tomarrow we can go and check. i know they have some but i dont think they're near 500w

LOOK AT IT!!!! JERRY, LOOK AT IT!!

dalilman52

yeah, i found em, but they are UBER-expensive, u wanna buy the cadillac of psu's, u pay the price of a cadillac....LINK

cheaper VERSION

i am almost 100% sure that they also sell the 425w turbo-cool in the clearance area....maybe for like 100 bucks or something, check it out tomorrow

dalilman52

well check the clearance area for the turbo-cool pcP&c psu..if they have it expensive..then u can get the fortron 550 w from em

and u can also try trading urs in but i dunno if theyll take it....theres also the 530 w from newegg

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

no hes just joking, but i think i mat get the fortron. as much as i like the pc power and cooling its way out of my price range.

if the p4 ready does that mean its not ideal for a amd?

dalilman52

no...it jsut means its p4 ready...meaning it has the 4 prong plug that all p4 mobos have

Life-time from invoice date with Directron.com for equal replacement / repair. 7-Day money back from receiving date with 15% restocking fee for non-defective returns. No refund or credit after 7 days.

the refund IMO is not gonna be successful...

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

just to make sure though, fortron and pc power and cooling psu's are the best quality ones right?

i dont want to have this same problem again

CrashOveride

Fortron and Antec (Channel Well too - they are Antec's supplier) are considered by pretty much eveyone to be awsome, some people really like Enermax as well - and some people HATE them. PC Power and Cooling ARE the best but many people don't like them because they are often times a lil more noisy and cost loads.

Fortron units are used in a number of differt brands of PSU as well (thats why they are cheap - they make them themselfs) like Zalman and I think there is a Fortron BASED PC Power and cooling PSU, they just mod it a lot so it fit's their super tight specs.

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
That's not surprising.

This 300w FORTRON is much more stable than both the
cheap 500w+ PSU that I tried.

The cheap 500w+ PSU with their 35 & 40 amp
12v rails had a hard time staying within 5% (0.60v).
In contrast, the 300w Fortron with the 15 amp 12v rail
only showed a 2% variance at most in the exact same setup.

Huh? ... A 15a 12v rail outperforming a 35a 12v rail?

Quality over Quantity! :D

If you want a real stable powerhouse try the 400w Fortron.
It only shows a 0.02v variance in my heavily loaded & OCed
nForce2 rig.
You don't get much more stable than that! :D
(DMM measure of course)

P.S. .......

Fortron = SPI = Verax = Sparkle = AOpen, and some PowerMan
They are all made by FSP Group.