• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aspire 5349 Ram Capacity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saber_Mike

So I have an addiction to getting every last drop of usefulness out of equipment. So much so that I only buy refurbished equipment and unless catastrophic death has happened we don't replace a system for at least 5 years. I know some people would say 5 years isn't to bad, well remember these are refurnished so they are normally 2 to 3 years old to start with before I get them. "OMG how do your people work" well that is where my addiction and hobby come in, yes I have 5 to to 9 year old systems deployed however they are the top of the line from the time and after I am done with maxing memory and SSD installs we actually do very well. We are also primarily a school so Windows 7 and no really heavy applications on the user side. This comes from 15 years of being a Network Administrator of a nonprofit with a very very limited budgets. Ok well my actual question and I hope someone out there has experience with Acer laptops. The laptop I personally use is an old Acer Aspire 5349 that was donated. I installed a 240GB Samsung SSD, 8GB Ram, and replaced the stock Celeron with an old i7 2620M cpu. It is actually a wonderful laptop now, performance is great and on off time I can even play quite a few games on it. However my need to always tweak demands that I put in 16GB Ram however the manual reports it has a maximum of 8GB. I have it at that now and the CPU supports up to 16GB but I am guessing that if there is a real limitation it is in the BIOS which is the highest now at ver. 1.08 So before I blow my money on two 8GB sticks of DDR3 for just an experiment has anyone actually done this with an Aspire 5349? Any other suggestions, I think I will look for a better monitor as well it has always looked a bit washed out to me. Oh btw yes I am sure I could get a better laptop, I actually have several Dell E class ones that do have 16GB of ram with the same CPU, its just the darn addiction to tweaking and I can't turn away from. Humm to they have an Overclockers Anonimus?

If it says 8GB in the manual, you would have to go with that. It snot so much a function of the CPU as it is the motherboard.

otherwise, you will have to hope that someone has it here and did that, but, not sure you will be that lucky...

Just make sure you are using 8GB, or close to it so there is a reason to upgrade. Adding more ram if you are not using what you already have, will not help one bit.

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same question right now. Not sure if I should buy the extra 8GB for help with VirtualBox or not. Having access to Windows 10 on my Ubuntu build is nice, but it seems to need a high amount of RAM.

The dude never showed back up after he started the thread.

Either go by what the manual says or contact Acer to confirm..

... if you ping Acer, let us know so we can add the info in the thread. :)

Check for bios updates in case they have a newer one that can use more RAM. But I would not count on it, especially since it shipped with 2gb of RAM to start with. That doesn't bode well.

Since this motherboard used the 6 Series/C200 Chipset, I didn't see any reason why the system would be limited to 8 GB, as noted in the CNET specs.
So I decided to purchase 8GB more RAM to try it out for a total of 16GB and... it WORKS!!
My 3 upgrades to this laptop so far have been CPU, RAM, and SSD

ASPIRE 5349-2592
Motherboard: HMA_51, BIOS version 1.08
CPU: i5-2450M
RAM: 2 x [Crucial 8GB Single DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MT/S (PC3-12800) ]
SSD: PNY CS1311 480GB
Kernel: Linux 5.0.0-16-generic

Note: Every so often, even before I went to 16GB RAM, my computer would completely freeze and would need a hard reset. This happened more frequently after I upgraded to RAM, but since I used "advanced boot" and chose the generic kernel, I haven't had a freeze yet (about 18 hours uptime). I think that might be a coincidence, but no clue.

also, my RAM is only running at 1067 MHz. I believe this processor can handle 1333 but I don't think I can modify that without unlocking the BIOS.

Upgraded to 16Gb succesfully

Early upgraded Acer Aspire 5349-2592 from Celeron B800 to core i5-2520M and from 2Gb to 4Gb.
Upgrading to quad CPU was a risk I thought.
In 2017 after 5 years of use the CPU fan was changed, old one started work noisy and I did not find any possibility to disassemble it and to grease. Not original was bought.
Just upgraded to 16GB. Windows 7 64 bit. Not a problems at all. Switched off virtual memory - laptop works more quickly than before.
Usually Resource monitor shows about 4GB of memory in use (lunched: word starter, excel starter, firefox with 10 tabs opened, acrobat reader , Compusoft Winner planing kitchens software).
So perhaps 8Gb was quite enough for my current tasks.

Thanks this forum for encourage.

Back