• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock 770 Extreme 3 VRM's and Phenom II x4 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greddy

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/770 Extreme3/index.asp

Hello,

After having this setup for over half of a decade I decided to push it a little, since I would like Quake champions not to dip under 60 fps. Later implementation of Vulkan should help since I have RX480, but while I'm at it...

I am on a stock cooler at 3.6 Ghz, touching that (max safe) 62 degrees celsius temp ceiling. I am very sure that aftermarket cooler would shave off at least 10 degrees (probably quite more, I'm being conservative).

In fact, I tried to push it to 3.8 Ghz (raising just the multiplier and Vcore) and even though Prime 95 tells me to **** off after just a few seconds, I was able to do whatever I wanted without any problem. I would play Quake for hours and not one problem. I did take it back down to 3.6 though, since the temp was 66 degrees.

So let me ask you these long (sorry) questions:

1)

If I am able to push it to 4 Ghz with some aftermarket cooler (and the temperature stays under those safe 62C), should I worry about blowing up my VRM's? I am unable to find any info regarding overclocking and my motherboard.

2)

My PC case is small and ****. I have side 220mm fan though, that's taking away 6 degrees off the CPU, but also cools down the VRM's (most likely, since it's blowing on the whole board, I don't know how to verify how well are those VRM's actually being cooled). But, the fan is 30mm thick, so the choice of an aftermarket cooler is quite limiting. Max height cannot be more than 130-135mm.

I just don't know how well are the VRM'S being cooled by the side fan, but there will be something, since it cools down the CPU by 6 degrees. Should I ditch the side fan and get bigger CPU cooler, or get a smaller one and keep cooling the VRM's (even a little) with the side fan?

How likely is it to damage them with overclocking the CPU to "just" 4Ghz? I was at 3.8Ghz with 1.5v Vcore, so I don't think I will be able to push it past 4Ghz anyway, since the max safe Vcore is 1.55v. Maybe later with some CPU-NB fiddling, I don't know...

3)

Also what kind of cooler would you recommend? After reading bilion lines of text and realizing I cannot go over 135mm of height I don't know which one should I go with, but considering the temps, any "good" one should handle the 4Ghz right? If the advice is to ditch the side fan though, I can add 30 more mm (height) to the cooler.

4)

Aaand and, Cpu-z is showing 250mv on Vcore more than BIOS, so kinda opposite of Vdroop, anyone know what is going on? My PSU is Evga Supernova G3, so this pretty expensive PSU shouldn't be the cause.

Anyway,

Thank you very much

First off that board doesn't have ANY type of cooling on the VRM's. First thing that's going to overheat are those. The board will fail before the CPU will. You're pushing it with 1.5v. An aftermarket cooler will always help the chip, but the board is a whole other story. Best get some sinks on those VRMs and get a fan ontop to cool them down before you start ramping up the volts. I would doubt that board will be able to handle that much voltage before it goes poof. That board isn't designed to overclock like you want it to.

Good luck!

Back