• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock P67 Pro3 + I7 2600K OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netaccs

Registered
Hello to everyone.
Recently I bought this mb AsRock P67 Pro3 and I7 2600k and I am trying to make good stable 4.4Ghz clock.
My PUS is Seasonic SS-600ET F3 600W Bronze, cooler looks like CM Hyper TX3 EVO or 212 EVO, not sure, how to find out which one is? This looks like.
GPU is MSI 1070 gamin x quick silver, RAM Ballistix Sport XT 2x8G, OS Windows 10 1809 x64.
Read some guides, test, youtube videos and now I use this settings:
Load optimized CPU OC - disabled
CPU Ratio - 44
Host clock override BLCK - 100
Spread Spectrum - Auto
Intel speedstep - Enabled
Intel Turbo - Boost - Enabled
Additional turbo voltage - Auto
Internal PLL voltage - Disabled
Long Duration Power limit - 250
Long Duration Mainboard - Auto
Short Duration Power limit - 250
Primary and Secondary Current limit - Auto

DRAM 9-9-9-24 Auto 1600.
Cpu core voltage - offset. With fixed voltage 1.3, 1.35v I think OCCT makes BSOD at 4.2-4.4Ghz, not sure.
offset voltage - -0.020v
CPU Load line calibration - Level4
DRAM voltage - 1.635v.
VTT 1.051v Auto, PCH 10.59v Auto, CPU PLL 1.832 Auto and VCCSA 0.925 Auto

Halt state C1E - enabled
C3, C6, Package C State are Disabled
Thermal, Virtualization and else are Enabled

Fan is automode 60 degree, level2 - trying to be quiet.

So after few test I got 4.0 GHz stable, 4.2GHz semi stable and fail 4.4GHz

Running 4.0GHz 4GHz OCCT test.jpg OCCT get pass for 1 hour.

On 4.2GHz 4.2GHz OCCT fail.jpg OCCT stops, cause core temp are going high 87.
Which temperatute I should look core or cpu? AsRock ATX utils show cores temp.
Wathing hwmonitor, aida, coretemp, occt CPU temp under stress test is about 60-65 degree

Now I am running (2hours for now) prime95 4.2GHz 4.2GHz Prime test.png and it works normal?
When I run prime95 at 4.4GHz with same setting I got BSOD after 10-15minutes.
That cores temp 80-90 degree, should be worries me or I should look only cpu temp?

Can you help me with settings to make stable 4.4GHz clock.

Shoild I provide additional information?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Host the images here please. Dropbox links make me nervous...

If you are hitting 90c in stress testing, you've hit the limit of that cooler.

Disable spread spectrum.

What are your ambient temps? I.E. what the temperature in your room? That chip runs hot and if your in a warm room well..

EarthDog beat me too it....

Host the images here please. Dropbox links make me nervous... - Fix them

If you are hitting 90c in stress testing, you've hit the limit of that cooler.
90c on CPU or 90c on cores?
Because CPU never go higher than 60.

Disable spread spectrum.
What are your ambient temps? I.E. what the temperature in your room? That chip runs hot and if your in a warm room well..
EarthDog beat me too it....
Room temperature is about 22-23c it is bedroom.

If we look cores temperatures it is high, if we look cpu temp I think it is ok?

Could be PSU issue? I can take one CoolerMaster RS-500-PCAP-I3 borrow.

Last edited:
What temperatures do Realtemp and/or Coretemp give you?

PSU is highly unlikely to be the issue... but you can try swapping it out and see...

90c on CPU or 90c on cores?
Because CPU never go higher than 60.

Room temperature is about 22-23c it is bedroom.

If we look cores temperatures it is high, if we look cpu temp I think it is ok?

Could be PSU issue? I can take one CoolerMaster RS-500-PCAP-I3 borrow.

EarthDog is likely spot on. That cooler has probably reached it's potential. As I said those chips runs hot anyway. For example my Single Stage will bring my 2500K down to around -53c but once it's under load it jumps up dramatically. Add vCore too it and it quickly becomes a game of diminishing returns resulting only about 5.1Ghz @ -25 to 35 celcius.

So 4.2 at that ambient and cooler. Get the picture?

Funny how those chipped changed. Most of them were good to close to 5 GHz on decent air/CLC or over 5 GHz on custom water... Im surprised that cooler is falling short at that speed and voltage, honestly.

Yes, as I read almost everyone gets 4.5GHz with no trouble. These are Realtemp/Core temps result (obviously they are showing core temp, not cpu)

4.2 temps.jpg

How can I find exact model of my cooler? Can you suggest me some cooler, could be better if has am4 support, for ryzen upgrading)?

I will sent picture on my pc later. Now when I am making tests, the side panel is open.

Also after week or two I have the option to make swap for AsRock z68 extreme3.

Last edited:
Then go by core temp.

For whatever reason, that cooler is running out of steam... and pretty early.. prematurely perhaps. I don't recall these ever being hot running chips as they were soldered and good ones could reach 5 GHz on high-end air... so 4.4 GHz on a mid-range cooler hitting these temps seem out of order.

What is your case airflow like? What case? front/sides =intake, top/rear = exhaust

Have you tried remounting the cooler and wiping off and reapplying thermal paste?

Then go by core temp.

For whatever reason, that cooler is running out of steam... and pretty early.. prematurely perhaps. I don't recall these ever being hot running chips as they were soldered and good ones could reach 5 GHz on high-end air... so 4.4 GHz on a mid-range cooler hitting these temps seem out of order.

What is your case airflow like? What case? front/sides =intake, top/rear = exhaust

Have you tried remounting the cooler and wiping off and reapplying thermal paste?

I bow too your expertise. Maybe I was drunk and had my SS poorly seated.. Quite possible.

This is my case. Basically power cables are between motherboard and case, but now I am in test mode so..
case.jpg

The white fan is arctic F12. I have one arctic 9x9, should I put on other side of the cooler?

Cable Management Yo!

I see a single front fan for an intake that is below the GPU and behind a spaghetti bowl sized wad of wires. Are there fans up top exhausting as well?

I would get another intake fan if possible as well as some exhaust fans up top. As it stands now, that cooler (which is tiny and may still be at the end of the road, note....) is sucking in the heat from the GPU. More airflow will mitigate that effect.

I would remove the cooler, clean off the old paste with isopropyl alcohol, repaste and remount the cooler. Use a quality paste like AC MX4.

I wounder about the vcore being kind of high for that level of overclock. You're VID is 1.396 and under load it's dropping to 1.36. Does it need to be that high for 4.4 ghz? Are you using manual settings in bios or auto settings for that? Having said that, I realize that generation of Intel CPUs did use higher vcore than what we see with newer chips. Trying to remember what the normal ranges were in that Sandy Bridge generation. If you could get by with a lower vcore then that would help temps.

Last edited:
First will try other mb and than decide which to choose. I will make cables.
No, case don't have fans at top of ot cpu.
The gpu is very silent and cold, may be the best 1070, fans are not working under 50c

The cooler is with new paste, not ac mx4, but wasn't something cheap.
Without heavy load it stays at 35-40c. Anyway I will reinstall the cooler again it again.
Can you suggest me one for replace?

You're VID is 1.396 and under load it's dropping to 1.36. Does it need to be that high for 4.4 ghz?......
Don't know, something to change in settings?

First will try other mb and than decide which to choose.
Why are you swapping motherboards?

No, case don't have fans at top of ot cpu.
Get some.

The gpu is very silent and cold, may be the best 1070, fans are not working under 50c
....and when it does run, it will put off a lot of heat that the cooler will suck right in.

Without heavy load it stays at 35-40c.
Idle typically isn't relevant, but those are a bit warm.

That is awfully high for the clockspeed (great eye trents!). Are you trying to overclock with the voltage on auto????? It needs to be done manually as the system will raise voltage to well over what is needed for hte clock speed. Typically those CPUs start aruond 1.25V IIRC.

You should start over and follow this guide: https://www.overclockers.com/forums...Beginners-How-to-set-your-25-6-700K-to-4-5Ghz

I feel like too many settings were changed for little to no reason. Try 44x @ 1.3V (yes, teh guide says 1.35V) and see what happens. If it doesn't boot or errors out in your stress test, then raise the voltage a bit. If you are getting vdroop (difference between what is set in the BIOS and the load voltage in windows), use the LLC function to raise the load voltage a bit. :)

Why are you swapping motherboards?
I won Z68 at ebay bid, so it is mine now. It is not a problem to sell one mb again.

Get some.
There is no holes at the top of the case.

That is awfully high for the clockspeed (great eye trents!). Are you trying to overclock with the voltage on auto????? It needs to be done manually as the system will raise voltage to well over what is needed for hte clock speed. Typically those CPUs start aruond 1.25V IIRC.

You should start over and follow this guide: https://www.overclockers.com/forums...Beginners-How-to-set-your-25-6-700K-to-4-5Ghz

I feel like too many settings were changed for little to no reason. Try 44x @ 1.3V (yes, teh guide says 1.35V) and see what happens. If it doesn't boot or errors out in your stress test, then raise the voltage a bit. If you are getting vdroop (difference between what is set in the BIOS and the load voltage in windows), use the LLC function to raise the load voltage a bit. :)

Will try several settings ant test and keep inform you.

edit.
42 and 44 ratio on fixed 1.3v LLC 3 and LLC4 can't logon at Windows. Turning of the pc, set in bios, restart and before logon screen - BSOD.

Last edited:
Try 1.35V.

Does that board have the latest BIOS? If not, go to its website and flash it.

That, or perhaps we wait for Z68 board? :)

Isn't your DRAM voltage at 1.635 higher than necessary for stock RAM frequencies and timings? Default is 1.5 volts, isn't it for RAM in that generation? Higher volts makes more strain on the CPU IMC and creates more heat. Do you have an XMP setting for the RAM in bios? If so, try that. Are all the RAM sticks the same make and rated frequency?

Please download and install CPU-z. Then post back with attached images of these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD.

Like 1.2V is JEDEC now for DDR4 and kits come in 1.35V, I think 1.5V was for that RAM back then. 1.65V kits are fine.

2x8 G Skill (post1)
mem.jpg

Take dimensions of my cooler and I think it is CM TX3, which as I look at internet is very bad for clocking.
I order CM 212 and after install it, will make tests and photos again.

Back