• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock X79 Extreme 4: can't have PCI and PCIe video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I tried int19 trap set to postponed and immediate as well as setting the primary graphics adapter to PCI and PCIe and swapping the PCI vid cards from both slots but I can't get a PCI video adapter to work alongside a PCIe video card (either my newish 980Ti or my old 6950/6970 frankenstein card). The system won't even boot and the BIOS code the system gets stuck on is 0xAE. Anyone have any ideas? The two PCI video cards I tried were a Matrox Mistake, er Mystique and an S3 Trio 64 of some type.

make sure graphics card is in pcie-2, disable uefi bios\enable all legacy options in bios, set display adapter to pci-e (only). Looks like the pci slots are both 32 bit, couldn't find definitive specs saying those cards are 32 bit or 64 bit. Can you hook one of them up without a pci-e gcard and see if anything is diff.

make sure graphics card is in pcie-2, disable uefi bios\enable all legacy options in bios, set display adapter to pci-e (only). Looks like the pci slots are both 32 bit, couldn't find definitive specs saying those cards are 32 bit or 64 bit. Can you hook one of them up without a pci-e gcard and see if anything is diff.

Both the PCI vid cards I have are old 32-bit cards. If I use either PCI vid-card by itself the system boots fine, it's only when I combine any PCIe vid-card w/a PCI card that the system hangs with the 0xAE error.

I really wanted the PCI vid-cards to work just so I could use the PCI cards to flash my GTX 980Ti if I bricked it (which I've already done once).

well you could use your 6950 for that, should display to whatever is in PCI-E1, probably need put the 980 in pcie4 if its bricked. Anyhow, use just the PCI-E x16 1 slot and the second PCI slot, make sure PCI-E is set for primary display in the advanced northbridge settings. In the boot menu, PCI ROM priority, disable (not legacy, not sure what your choices are). Disable full screen logo. Also, you can use EFI shell to fix a bricked card.

In summary, to meet your goal you have 3 options:
use functional gcard in PCI-E 16 slot 1, with bricked card in slot 3 -> windows
use legacy card, select PCI, bricked card probably still best in PCI-e slot 3 -> shell efi or boot thumb drive with a flashing utility, just make sure to have your hardware addresses correct when you program the flasher
purchase another 980 ti and swap from primary and secondary in slots 1 and 2, assuming you brick the first one, so that the motherboard posts with pre-sli setup settings (second card not initialized but should be flashable).

Hate to be like, dont brick your card, but just about everything else is a better use of time: for the adventure of it though, see if you can find a PCI graphics card that existed post UEFI, those may not know how to be assigned addresses on current northbridge southbridge architectures (it may not take assignments other than primary or what it thinks should be secondary). I think a GT 610 or 710 comes in x1, check to make sure that's an option in your priority though.

let us know, and thanks!

well you could use your 6950 for that, should display to whatever is in PCI-E1, probably need put the 980 in pcie4 if its bricked. Anyhow, use just the PCI-E x16 1 slot and the second PCI slot, make sure PCI-E is set for primary display in the advanced northbridge settings. In the boot menu, PCI ROM priority, disable (not legacy, not sure what your choices are). Disable full screen logo. Also, you can use EFI shell to fix a bricked card.

In summary, to meet your goal you have 3 options:
use functional gcard in PCI-E 16 slot 1, with bricked card in slot 3 -> windows
use legacy card, select PCI, bricked card probably still best in PCI-e slot 3 -> shell efi or boot thumb drive with a flashing utility, just make sure to have your hardware addresses correct when you program the flasher
purchase another 980 ti and swap from primary and secondary in slots 1 and 2, assuming you brick the first one, so that the motherboard posts with pre-sli setup settings (second card not initialized but should be flashable).

Hate to be like, dont brick your card, but just about everything else is a better use of time: for the adventure of it though, see if you can find a PCI graphics card that existed post UEFI, those may not know how to be assigned addresses on current northbridge southbridge architectures (it may not take assignments other than primary or what it thinks should be secondary). I think a GT 610 or 710 comes in x1, check to make sure that's an option in your priority though.

let us know, and thanks!

Because my 6950/6970 frankenstein card has an Arctic Cooling Accelero II+, my GTX 980Ti is the largest non-reference made (a 3-slot card that is ~13" in length) and the 1st PCIe slot is unusable because of my Thermalright cooler I can't put both PCIe cards in the case at the same time -- that's why I wanted the PCI vid-card to work.

I finally fixed the bricked GTX 980Ti. I don't know if I'll ever try flashing it again after that nightmare.

I had no idea you had a 980ti... it couldn't possibly be because you refuse to update your signature, is it?

I thought you bought an extreme gaming? Doesn't it have a dual bios?

Please update your signature so those helping can EASILY see what hardware you have. :)

I gave up. I'm not going to buy another PCI card now for experimentation. I am thinking I'll buy the smallest, more powerful, single slot PCIe vid-card I can -- something along the lines of the 750 Ti series.

Back