• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7A266 !!! Anyone heard of this one??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sketch

Asus is showing a motherboard on there site that says that this board will support both DDR and SDRAM. But I can't find a reveiw or anymore information for this board. Has anyone have an Idea or have one? Sounds like a good upgrade board. Let me know please.

The ALi Magik is slower even using DDR than KT133a motherboards with PC133 memory. I'd suggest staying away!

I can't remember where I saw the review but I do remember it said don't even think about running at 200FSB. It is severly crippled at that speed. Memory perfomance was terrible unless you went to 266FSB. Most.

I Like the A7M266 now that I think I figured out how to change the multiplier without a soldering Iron! I've already posted this a couple of places but I'll put it here too. It might even work on the A7A266. Here's how to do it:

In Rev 1.01 of the board the switches were still on the board to allow you to change the multiplier, but they were not installed on the later revisions for some unknown reason. You can see a picture compareing the area of Rev. 1.01 and Rev. 1.03 where the switches are and the printing on the board that tells you what position to put them in here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/mainboards/asus-a7m266.html It’s not quite half way down the page.

If you’re handy with a soldering iron you could solder some switches on. However, I’m a little nervous about taking a soldering iron to my new $180 motherboard. I think you could use a conductive pen to close the circuits that need to be closed. The only problem with that is to change the multiplier again after you’ve done this would be a pain because you’d have to clean the conductive ink off. I don’t know how hard that would be, but here’s a way around it. Put a piece of tape on the board between the circuit contacts and draw the circuits across the tape. Then if you need to change something just peel off the tape and put on another piece! I haven’t tested this yet because I haven’t ordered my board yet. I’ve been researching which board to buy and I was leaning to the A7M266 but the inability to set the multiplier was really bothering me. Now that I think I’ve solved the problem I’ll be ordering my new board and AXIA chip soon.

If anyone tries this on an A7M266 board let me know how it works! I’d like to know if I’m right.

Corax

Back