• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A7N8X Out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

They came out yesterday appearently! Currently, I see none in stock with a intergrated graphics processor (IGP) but the ones without are now available. Prices are $279 wthout the IGP and $329 with IGP.

At best computers, the guy noted that you get two ethernet adapters which means it makes it that much easier to do shotgun internet with your 1 PC and two ADSL modems :)

They had one on display so i had the chance to skim through the bios. Multiplier selections 5~12.5x) are available as well as an Auto multiplier feature.

As for memory setup, they had three sticks of Corsair PC3500 CL2 in the machine while the FSB was at 333MHz. They said by using the memory option 20%+ they were able to run the FSB at 333MHz while having the system memory run at 400MHz CL2 with 1T timings.

The processor they used was a AthlonXP 1700+ AROIA unlocked so that 166MHz was selectable. They used the 9X multiplier which resulted as 1500MHz.

This is just a display setup and they no benchs running unfortuneatly. They said they will install 3Dmark 2001 eventually when they get around to it.

All in all, if your looking for the best AMD motherboard out on the shelves, I highly recommend you check out the ASUS A7N8X without the IGP.

EDIT: I also want to point out that the memory options can go as low as -50% which means you could potentially use 400MHz FSB while using old PC1600 memory and still make 100% effeciency of the FSB hence twin bank of PC1600 = PC3200 which is 3.2GB/s which a 400MHz FSB can put out. Pretty sweet eh.

OC-Master

Tipycol

Warehouse said:
does the 279 include the stick of pc3500? thats really steep!!!

Yea, boy they're expensive, thought they'd be tops around the $150 mark, guess I was dreaming :)
Anything about fitting a SLK-800 on it though? That's what turned me off about this board because of the lack of space around the socket :(

Tipycol

Deathknight

Tipycol said:

Yea, boy they're expensive, thought they'd be tops around the $150 mark, guess I was dreaming :)
Anything about fitting a SLK-800 on it though? That's what turned me off about this board because of the lack of space around the socket :(

Tipycol

Yeah I am worried about this as well. A major design flaw IMHO.

bigfoot

Looks like a great board, but that price is outragious. ohwell, it should come down.

If space around the CPU is the only major problem, and I end up getting that board, I'd just unsolder the capacitors and add like a 2 inch wire between them and the mainboard, that would take care of em!

Tipycol

bigfoot said:
Looks like a great board, but that price is outragious. ohwell, it should come down.

If space around the CPU is the only major problem, and I end up getting that board, I'd just unsolder the capacitors and add like a 2 inch wire between them and the mainboard, that would take care of em!

Yes but

1. I do not have access to a soldering iron
2. I like it nice and neat the way the manufacturer intended it to be
3. I am too lazy :)

WerewolfX

Registered
I read the manual and apparently you can under clock the Agp bus to 50 mhz.... Who would want to do something silly like that :argue:

xCarne_Asada

a7n8x.jpg

looks nice, but the capcitors do look a little close.

Deathknight

Not only are the capacitors close but the cpu socket is so close to the top edge of the board that a large HSF would be very close to the PSU in some cases. In one of my cases I can clearly see that even a normal sized 60mm HSF would not fit with my enermax powersupply's fan grill.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
The price above is in Canadian Dollars. OC Master is in Alberta. That'd be somewhere around $150 for you American guys (too lazy to go to xe.com right now).

As for the socket, that's really ***. Why bother putting the holes in if you can't mount a really bad *** HS. Looks like that thing'd have a hard time taking an AX-7, let alone a Swifty or a PAL.

WerewolfX

Registered
Thanks for the US dollar conversion but im not quite sure where i will get 8/10 of a cent for the one i would get :p

Edit: Typos

OP
OC-Master

OC-Master

$279 Canadian isnt too shabby for this board. Remember its brand new and a brand new series from nVidia. I remember when my KT7A first came out. In Canada, the standard ESP was $299 Canadian and it stayed at that price untill DDR motherboards came out!

$279 is a good buy for a board that i thought would be over $300.

OC-Master