• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus a7v temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elva lover

does anybody know if this mobo gives accurate temps? i'm not too sure if they're accurate since it always reads the same temp. if it is off, how much is it off by (approx)

dgpilot2

Registered
Seems to be off by 10c if you have a BIOS earlier than 1011
Flash with the latest and you should see that temp drop.

Titan386

Have you tried putting a load on the system (prime95, folding, seti, etc) and seeing if the temp increases? Games and such also raise the temp, but its hard to see Asus Probe while their running :)

OP
elva lover

elva lover

does toast count as load? when i use that. it goes up. 2c. i was just wondering about the temp because where i live, there's winter/summer and any normal person would expect temps lower in winter and summer right? but don't fluctuate much so wuz just curious. hm... i'll hafta check which bios i have then

papounet

toast surely counts as a CPU warmer.
to see only 2C increase is a bit odd.

which CPU at which speed, which HS do you use ?

papounet

the common saying is that amd t-bird 900mhz are quite hot
and that stock hsf aren't good for our game (overclocking).

There is something called "compression factor" which attempts to explains why when the sensor reports 2C increase, the real temp increase was higher(2.5-3C).. the value of the compression factor is different from MB to MB and is dependant in which temp range the CPU is.
This is due to the fact that the sensor isn't placed next to the die (on the A7V)

Nonetheless, as you T-bird is not overvolted , nor overclocked, the increase of 2C reported is not abnormal

OP
elva lover

elva lover

would a cpu temp of 59degrees @ idle be way over a safe temp? it gets to 61-63 @ load. their critical temp is until 70 something. but some people say over 50 is already bad

OC Detective

The reason we say it is bad is because it can potentially reduce the life span of your cpu as well as cause instability problems. I would still recommend below 50c in normal use and certainly below 60c at load. Invest in a decent HSF

OP
elva lover

elva lover

okie. i just took a look @ sandra mainboard information. In sandra, it says that my cpu temp is 47 and my mobo temp is 34. but in asus probe/mbm5 it says cpu temp is 59 and mobo temp is 36. which is more correct?

papounet

Asus Probe/MBM report the same data that the BIOS reports. I would trust Asus Probe and MBM over Sandra.

CPU temp 59C is quite hot, and could shorten the life of your CPU (speaking several years). It would definitely limit any attempt at overclocking.

Get another HS.

In the meantime, try to run you PC with the case open, and see the tmp.
A case temp of 36C is also very hot. most people would recommend installing an input fan and another exhaust fan (on top of existing PSU fan)

OP
elva lover

elva lover

i've tried having the sides off. but that didn't help. maybe my bios revision of 1004 is off. i'll prolly update to 1011 this weekend. also, my case has a place for a intake fan. the only thing is, the front face plate of the case doesn't really have any holes for air to go in (except under the face place, which is quite a small hole.) would it be pretty well useless to stick a fan there unless i cut a hole in the case

jboy

Are you using the CU2SL, (or whatever it's called), sensor in MBM ? Cuz this sensor was giving me readings about 9-10c over the other one I first tried, which mirrored my bios numbers.. Does anybody know if the CU2SL sensor is the on die one , as opposed to the external on board model ? (this is on an A7V333)