• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus a7v8x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o-clock-547

Well havn't been keeping up any more. But is the asus a7v8x a nice board. Also what proccessor can it support up to. It says up to 2.4ghz+ weather thats refering to the xp 2400 or the actual frequency of a xp.

emericanchaos

i plan on getting this board next. 2.4Ghz is 2600+ territory i beleive. the buzz on this board is multiplier unlock in BIOS. meaning you can adjust the multi in the BIOS without unlocking the chip. that and kt400 chipset +AGP 8x are good enough for me to upgrade.

Opie420

Registered
o-clock-547 said:
Well havn't been keeping up any more. But is the asus a7v8x a nice board. Also what proccessor can it support up to. It says up to 2.4ghz+ weather thats refering to the xp 2400 or the actual frequency of a xp.

I got one this past weekend and I'm happy with it. I'm using a 2400+ but the board also supports the 2600+. Right now I am running at 2444Mhz @ 188*13. I hit a brick wall at 189fsb (it reboots while booting XP). I'm not totally sure that it's the mobo yet but I know it isn't the memory (had it running 226mhz in a friends system over the weekend).

Also I should note that I have an ATI Radeon 9700 pro which could be considered an early revision board (bought it first the day it was available) and it is working at AGP8X with this board... I was completely surprised.

IR1

a7v8x

I just bought the A7V8X over the weekend, I am awaiting shipping it should get here by the end of the week.

Ive heard about the on MOBO unlocked bridges, I just want this clarified, I have an Athlon 1800+ Locked. This mobo will allow me to adjust the multi without connecting the L1's?

If thats true then man im glade I got this board cuz I bought it for its feature/performance ratio and I was planing on unlocking my CPU but if its as you all say it is, man that saves me the trouble.

So it is true right?

IR1

On more thing

With my Corsair 512 pc2100 how high do you think I can get the FSB up on average with good air cooling,

I know without pc2700 my memory will be a bottleneck so I am pondering if I should snag a fat stick'O pc2700.

Opie420

Registered
Re: a7v8x

IR1 said:
I just bought the A7V8X over the weekend, I am awaiting shipping it should get here by the end of the week.

Ive heard about the on MOBO unlocked bridges, I just want this clarified, I have an Athlon 1800+ Locked. This mobo will allow me to adjust the multi without connecting the L1's?

If thats true then man im glade I got this board cuz I bought it for its feature/performance ratio and I was planing on unlocking my CPU but if its as you all say it is, man that saves me the trouble.

So it is true right?

No, you will still have to unlock your 1800+ by bridging the L1's.

T-bred's come unlocked 13X and up from the factory (2200+, 2400+). But for the t-bred's you have to bridge the last L3 to get 12.5X and below...

Opie420

Registered
Re: On more thing

IR1 said:
With my Corsair 512 pc2100 how high do you think I can get the FSB up on average with good air cooling,

I know without pc2700 my memory will be a bottleneck so I am pondering if I should snag a fat stick'O pc2700.

Well I maxed out at 188fsb but I've seen others up near 200mhz with this board. Since I just got this board I haven't even pulled the heatsink off the northbridge so maybe with some as3 I can break into the mid 190's. Remember that since the /6 divisor is broken on all kt-400's getting to 200mhz is pretty difficult.

OP
O

o-clock-547

ok so i'm gunna get this board. But i just want to clearify this.

IT DOES SUPPORT THE 2600+??????

just want to make sure, because i don't wanna buy the chip and have it not work.

Also with this sata thing. Do they currently sell drives supporting this? With the sata do the hardrives have a new interface? Or is there an adapter from ide to sata? How much better is it in performence?

Also with the pc3200 whats the max? I know 2 dims, but hom much memory?

Also it supports agp8x, but 4x cards will still work and fit in the structre right?

OP
O

o-clock-547

oh yah, and what raid is it that allows you to combine multiple hardrives together and have it recognize it as one? And it combines the performance.

Opie420

Registered
Yes it supports the 2600+. I don't think too many people have been able to verify that yet but it works with my 2400+ and the only difference between the two is the multiplier.

It works fine with my GF3 Ti500 which is running at AGP4X.

Regarding RAID settings, Raid0 is what you want (where it stripes data across both drives giving increased performance). But with the on-board RAID controller with the A7V8X you can only use one regular ATA drive and one or two SATA drives. You can't use two normal ATA drives with the controller. In order to do so you need an adapter (they exist, but I don't know where or for how much $$$). SATA has a new interface, a really skinny cable. I counted 5 pins on it, it's cool to think that it's faster than a normal ATA cable with 80 pins.

Shaotai

o-clock-547 said:
ok so i'm gunna get this board. But i just want to clearify this.

Also with the pc3200 whats the max? I know 2 dims, but hom much memory?

Also it supports agp8x, but 4x cards will still work and fit in the structre right?

PC3200 is DDR400 memory, which this board only supports 2 banks = 1 stick of ram, or 4 banks of DDR333 (PC2700) = 2 sticks of ram.... (if I'm not mistaken...)

Also, I'm running an ATI8500 at 4X AGP and it's working great...