• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Extreme IV issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't really think those have to do with the fans.

IMHO, those give MOAR POWER to your CPU. Those feed your CPU. If you can fill all the connectors, do it, you won't regret. I mean. The more power you have, the better.

And yea, as StRYCH9 says, they cover it to let you know that you can fit a 4 pin there.

Don't misunderstand...I wasn't suggesting that they have anything to do with the fans. They are simply power headers. But if you were to use the fan headers on the board (and there are a lot of them on this board), then you would need the additional power routed to the board. That's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Don't misunderstand...I wasn't suggesting that they have anything to do with the fans. They are simply power headers. But if you were to use the fan headers on the board (and there are a lot of them on this board), then you would need the additional power routed to the board. That's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yes, I get your point. But the 8 pin power connector does not feed the board, but the CPU only IIRC. Everything else goes to the 24pin.

Ran each stick individually in slot 1 without a failure. Ran one in the second slot I had been using and didn't get a failure. I then ran two sticks in the last two slots I had been using and didn't get a failure. WTF?

I'm going to send the RAM and MB back. I'll stick with another Asus Extreme board but I think I'm going to get some different RAM. :/

Going to get this ram: http://www.corsair.com/dominator-gt...hannel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmt16gx3m4x2133c9.html
Probably going to get two coolers even if they are partially for show: http://www.corsair.com/airflow-pro.html

Very nice RAM, been using it for about 2 weeks.:thup:

My new setup is now up and running. A new Motherboard and RAM are in there now and I haven't had any issues. I'm almost certain the Asus board was the main cause of my previous problems.

I switched to the MSI Big Bang XPower II and so far it's been rock solid. I haven't had a freeze or hiccup yet. Ram is running the XMP profile and I let the motherboard take care of the overclocking on it's own by tapping the OC Genie button. Seems to OC to about 4.3Ghz and all I had to do was tap the button on the MB. I'm happy. I may try to push the OC up a bit soon. I'm only running one of my 7970's at the moment because I didn't need two for one monitor so I'll pop it in a different rig.

I swapped out a few things so here is the updated part list:

Motherboard: MSI Big Bang XPower II
CPU: i7-3960X
Cooler: Corsair H100
VGA: MSI ATI 7970 Overclocked Edition
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 2133Mhz Quad Channel (4 x 4GB)
Power Supply: Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt
Case: Coolermaster Storm Trooper

Back