• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus G72: quad vs dual core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nimhs

Registered
I need help trying to decide between two laptops.

G72 dual core

G72 quad core

Key differences:

dual core $1150 vs quad core $1300

Dual Core 2.53ghz vs Quad Core 2.0ghz

Dual has 1x 500gb 5200rpm hard drive vs Quads 2x 320gb 7200rpm hard drive

The laptop would be mainly used for gaming. Which CPU would perform best in modern and upcoming titles?

I like the 2x 7200rpm hard drives, but obviously the 5200 can be upgraded. Both have the same 2x drive bays. One recommendation I've read is to use the 150 dollars you save going with the dual core and put it towards an SSD drive for OS / Games. That would leave you the 500gb 5200rpm drive for storage.

Need some help deciding! Pros / Cons of each? Best for gaming? Thanks!

deed

page requested not found.

I myself would get a quad if you like maxing certin games that are cpu limited.

OP
N

Nimhs

Registered
Well that's annoying that the links aren't working.

Side by Side

This link will probably expire too. If someone could point out what I'm doing wrong, that be cool. =)

So you think quad core for gaming? Funny, today I've been thinking saving some cash and just getting the dual core. Although, I tend to run multiple instances of MMOs, so quad core might help there.

Bobnova

Depends on the games.
Save for GTA4 most modern games run better on a higher clocked dual core then a lower clocked quad.

deed

Depends on the games.
Save for GTA4 most modern games run better on a higher clocked dual core then a lower clocked quad.

This is true... After looking at the laptops now that the link works I would grab the dual core, Save some bucks for other upgrades that you need and I dont really think the 260m requires a high end cpu to reach its max anyways.

nightelph

Depends on the games.

Can you get an even higher clocked dual? My wife's Alienware rig has a 2.93ghz dualie. :) Much better for gaming.

Bobnova

A 260m is, roughly speaking, a 9800GT desktop card. So it depends on what res you're playing at. If you're on the low end of things (1280x1024ish and 1440x900 to a lesser extent) a faster CPU will help a lot.
If the res is higher then that, the GPU shoulders more of the load and a faster CPU won't make as large of a difference.

nightelph

^ Agreed. My laptop has a 260m and is running at 1440x900. Performs well, I was apprehensive about choosing the 1920x1200 option.