• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Helios Custom LC Build RAD Locations...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aliitp

Registered
hello

i bought the Helios GX01, i want to build a custom LC (done this twice in the past) but am wondering for this case how many rads to go with,

front got 3x 120mm fans and i can mount a rad there

same goes for the top 3x 120mm fans and a second rad can be there or a 240mm rad only

rear SINGLE 120mm exhaust

my concern is IF i setup both FRONT and TOP full size rads,
http://grabilla.com/0b504-2b80ab25-2a7b-4031-95aa-06f791f5bc50.png

what should be the fan directions ?

should BOTH RADS push hot air INSIDE the case ? (pull cool air from OUTSIDE)
will a single 120mm exhaust fan then be sufficient to exhaust all that hot air outside the case ? and wont that increase temps for RAM, board etc ?!...

is it a BAD idea to setup one rad to pull cold air from out-to-in
and the other rad to pull THAT hot air from in to out ?...

i saw those utubers doing those builds

what fan/rad setup and configuration should i go with ?...

thanks,

Front/sides = intake. Top/rear = exhaust. You want airFLOW. ;)

While it's true your you'll get coolest temps for water is under the blocks, it's nit worth running warmed air through the system.

Front/sides = intake. Top/rear = exhaust. You want airFLOW. ;)

While it's true your you'll get coolest temps for water is under the blocks, it's nit worth running warmed air through the system.

i dont have side fans, maybe bottom though ! that why am asking about THIS case if i should setup Front and Top Rads for Intake to get best coolant temps

or like this chick:
8:45

she setup front for INTAKE while top rad to EXHAUST that hot air, not sure if that top rad in this case is doing any cooling at all in this scenario !... maybe someone can confirm the best setup possible for this chassis...

...let me put it a different way...Front = intake. Top/Rear = exhaust. Front/sides is generic advice. The advice doesn't change if you dont have a side fan. You want airFLOW. :thup:

Edit: you will get the best coolant temps with fresh intake air, but I suggest you consider not warming up the internals as the temperature difference between all intake in the rads and having airflow, is usually only a couple of degrees.

What do you plan on coolingn with this setup? That information helps too......

Personally, id spend the money on jumping up from the 5820k than throw it into water cooling the 6 series chip that's isn't a significant upgrade. ;)

Last edited:
...let me put it a different way...Front = intake. Top/Rear = exhaust. Front/sides is generic advice. The advice doesn't change if you dont have a side fan. You want airFLOW. :thup:

Edit: you will get the best coolant temps with fresh intake air, but I suggest you consider not warming up the internals as the temperature difference between all intake in the rads and having airflow, is usually only a couple of degrees.

What do you plan on coolingn with this setup? That information helps too......

Personally, id spend the money on jumping up from the 5820k than throw it into water cooling the 6 series chip that's isn't a significant upgrade. ;)

Thanks but am not planning to bankrupt myself atm with new hardware and am ONLY considering the 5950x for my next build and that will come at a hefty price tag to handle atm, but am just sniping the moment to get cpu in the near future hopefully, for now just need to get my pc running !...

Am cooling the cpu and GPU, not sure if I’ll get crazy in the future and cool other components so I guess I’ll go with the maximum rad setup, just hope the top exhaust rad fans don’t end up HEATING the coolant by exhausting the hot air coming from the front rad intake fans? Did u get my point ??...

Can someone plz suggest a good pump res combo for this Helios case ?...

Thanks,

The only way your top rad will heat up your coolant is if the air being pulled into your case is terribly restricted. Even then with the cpu and gpu being wced it would only result in a maximum of a few degrees.
You have to figure out how tall you need your pump/res to be. As far as brands to look at heatkiller, ek, xspc, bitspower are all solid to name a few. Figure out how you want to attach it to your case and where you want to have your drain port ahead of time and youll be golden.

Did u get my point ??.
Yes. Did you get mine? I'm telling you that you don't want to run with intake going over both front and top rads. That will obviously put the warmest air anto the case. That and you'd only have one exhaust...not good airFLOW like I've been talking about. With one blowing in, some warmed air will go in the case, indeed, but it is what it is. AIRFLOW IS THE KEY. The couple of C difference isn't worth it when you want to keep the internals cool too..pumping warmed rad air into a chassis with one exhaust doesn't help that out.

Have you read the watercooling sticky threads? I'd do so sooner than later. This way you have a more solid foundation to build on. A lot of these and other basic questions are covered in them.;)

Ah, i assumed OP understood that front intake, top exhaust was the best option for dual rads here...

Ah, i assumed OP understood that front intake, top exhaust was the best option for dual rads here...
Well, I've said as much twice, we'll see if it sticks this time around. :p

I mean, he's right, that will produce the lowest temps on whatever is being cooled. However, he's also then sending warmed air into the chassis which will warm everything up inside. The difference of a couple of C isn't worth warming up the internals. It's not like this dude is trying to break Hwbot records so it's best for airFLOW.

Still, I'd scrap the negligible CPU upgrade and move to water cooling for a better rig (you can save for water loop instead of putting it on outdated hardware and saving for a new machine)... a 5800X is still leaps and bounds better than any 6c/12t 5/6 series HEDT from Intel. But if you don't have the finances, you don't. Hell, I'd even put the money into the watercooling into the bank to save for a new machine. Water cooling isn't going to add much headroom on this system.......

EDIT: As far as a pump/res combo you just asked about, I prefer any D5 pump/res combo. Looks good, plenty of head pressure, etc.

Last edited:
The only way your top rad will heat up your coolant is if the air being pulled into your case is terribly restricted. Even then with the cpu and gpu being wced it would only result in a maximum of a few degrees.
You have to figure out how tall you need your pump/res to be. As far as brands to look at heatkiller, ek, xspc, bitspower are all solid to name a few. Figure out how you want to attach it to your case and where you want to have your drain port ahead of time and youll be golden.

i will probably go with a tube res/pump combo, i dont want to drill holes, my case got a pump stand, just need to find the right combo that will attach correctly to my case !

do you think something like this is optimal, its 150$ only for a RES + 100$ for a PUMP !!
https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...5-reservoir-combo-polished-acrylic-black.html

or can i get cheaper options coz this feels overpriced IMO...?

Well, I've said as much twice, we'll see if it sticks this time around. :p

I mean, he's right, that will produce the lowest temps on whatever is being cooled. However, he's also then sending warmed air into the chassis which will warm everything up inside. The difference of a couple of C isn't worth warming up the internals. It's not like this dude is trying to break Hwbot records so it's best for airFLOW.

Still, I'd scrap the negligible CPU upgrade and move to water cooling for a better rig (you can save for water loop instead of putting it on outdated hardware and saving for a new machine)... a 5800X is still leaps and bounds better than any 6c/12t 5/6 series HEDT from Intel. But if you don't have the finances, you don't. Hell, I'd even put the money into the watercooling into the bank to save for a new machine. Water cooling isn't going to add much headroom on this system.......

EDIT: As far as a pump/res combo you just asked about, I prefer any D5 pump/res combo. Looks good, plenty of head pressure, etc.

thanks again for your input, but again as i clarified, atm i dont have time to get a whole new setup, and am ONLY considering the 5950x, let alone selling my old hardware, i tried to explain this before, a full pc upgrade is my next step, just hope the Helios case lights will work with no rgb headers in my current build !...

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC you are referring to a i7-5960x = x99 mb AND not a AMD 5950x = x570 mb
What MB are you running?? What stepping is your CPU.. there is the MO which will oc better and RO. I have a R5E with a i7-5820k (RO stepping) a EVGA 360mm AIO w/6 fans and hit a voltage Wall @ ~4.5ghz with 1.5v. I still have temp’s to give @ ~77c so a custom loop is not Currently needed and you can get by with a AIO :) save $$ for the next build.
Check hwbot.org on ~ max speed on a i7-5820k/5930k/5960x with air/water.

Last edited:
Back