• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5a99FX pro r2.0 + AMD FX 8350 Vishera (B.E)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm guys I got somehow a confusing problem (for me hehe) when I shutdown my pc for example and turned it on back in the morning the the bios just randomly resets and the reading of my ram which is 1866; it is like the 1st time he detects it and the ram frequency he uses is the default "AUTO" or uses only the frequency 1600...

I already check the bios battery and I changed it already but still this problem randomly shows...

confusing and kinda need help/tips from you guys...

Yeah, that sounds like a problem and I don't have a good answer for you off the top of my head. Has it always behaved this way? Do you have the latest bios installed? Could be a bios bug that was later corrected. I would suggest creating a profile that contains all your overclocking settings. There might be a bios section with a Tool to save the profile so all you have to do is tell it to load that profile. That way you won't have to manually enter each overclock frequency and voltage.

It could be a ram error and the bios is resetting to default which happens if there is ram error.
RGone...

Yeah, good thought, RGone. OP, take all but one stick of ram out and switch that one among the sticks that you are using. And move the stick of ram around to the different slots you have been using.

Sorry for the long reply guys, just been monitoring the ram lately...
I find it strange that my ram really do random resets in the bios 1866 turned to 1600.

@trents
it just randomly resets no specific time.. sometimes it runs ok within a week and then suddenly memory resets. The date of the last reset was my last post here and the latest reset is dated now..

I didnt try yet to exchange the memory cause I was waiting for the reset thing to happen..
Also I tested the ram again with the prime95 for like 1hr a day and there was no single error in the workers..

Yeah, good thought, RGone. OP, take all but one stick of ram out and switch that one among the sticks that you are using. And move the stick of ram around to the different slots you have been using.

tnx trents & RGone, ill try this later after work.

darkblitz05 said:
sometimes it runs ok within a week and then suddenly memory resets.

That symptom is exactly what one would expect of either a memory error or similar. When the board boots you find the ram speed has changed. During bootup the bios polls or checks parameters and when it finds what it senses as problem, it could easily reduce the ram clock and especially so if the ram seemed flakey when the bios polled the ram during boot.

I would run memtest86+ for a few hours to see if the ram kicks out an error.
RGone...

Yeah, memtest86+ is a good tool. I wouldn't be surprised if that CM GX PSU is giving a random problem too.

Yeah, memtest86+ is a good tool. I wouldn't be surprised if that CM GX PSU is giving a random problem too.

@trents
man before im gonna try the memtest for like 1hr or more I just want to validate these readings again if its right im currently using the manual option of the ram frequency which is DDR3-1866, check attached screenshots:

Was again confused with these readings hehehe :bang head

1st image: A test run of memtest
FiT3YC5.jpg

2nd image check arrow: From the BIOS Asus SPD Information
XCZBDCj.jpg

The Memtest86+ screen capture looks like you need to swap to a later version of Memtest86+, that older version does not seem to be reading the ram 'timings' corerctly for Cas and so forth. It is reading the ram as running at DDR1600 which is probably what speed the ram is running now.

The bios capture you posted is showing what the ram is programmed to run by the ram's SPD chip and is not likely what the ram is actually running for timings or speed. That is another page in the bios.
RGone...

Just one question darkblitz05 have you verified the ram speed in windows with CPU-z

The Memtest86+ screen capture looks like you need to swap to a later version of Memtest86+, that older version does not seem to be reading the ram 'timings' corerctly for Cas and so forth. It is reading the ram as running at DDR1600 which is probably what speed the ram is running now.

The bios capture you posted is showing what the ram is programmed to run by the ram's SPD chip and is not likely what the ram is actually running for timings or speed. That is another page in the bios.
RGone...

hmmm I was on the memtest86+ site and the latest version was 4.20 and in the screenshot I downloaded and used the ver. 4.20..

So the 2nd screenshot is good? im kinda lost :confused: just to be honest...

I know they have a beta 5.something that will probably read the correct speed. It's not you it's memtest getting it wrong

I am running the last one he shows for download at that linked thread.

Memtest86+ 5.00 Beta available !

I said the bios picture is showing what the ram SPD is programmed to on the memory itself and nOt the actual ram timings. You need to do a little homework on your system operation maybe.

The CPUz ram Mhz is showing 936 or as we see it DDR 1872. So the ram is running its speed of DDR1866 and just a little more.
RGone...

I know they have a beta 5.something that will probably read the correct speed. It's not you it's memtest getting it wrong

I am running the last one he shows for download at that linked thread.

Memtest86+ 5.00 Beta available !

I said the bios picture is showing what the ram SPD is programmed to on the memory itself and nOt the actual ram timings. You need to do a little homework on your system operation maybe.

The CPUz ram Mhz is showing 936 or as we see it DDR 1872. So the ram is running its speed of DDR1866 and just a little more.
RGone...

@Johan
Yes just like RGone said need to download the latest version. Tnx man :salute:

@RGone
Tnx man for the link, yeah I couldn't agree more I kinda need to do some homework on these things.. I was just confused when I ran the test with memtest and didnt get the right readings, thats why I posted here to be more clarified and I thank you guys again for this. :salute:

EDIT:
I go test and run the memtest for 1hr and check if I get some ram errors.

With memtest opening and running in default mode and testing 8gigs of ram...one hour may not be enough unless the errors are easily found. You say the ram speed is not changed for some days.

I now begin to wonder if you are looking in the correct place for the speed the ram is actually running everytime you go into bios or are you looking one place one time and at the SPD page perhaps the next time and the ram is not really changing speeds at all.
RGone...

hmmm on the Screenshot # 1, Yesterday was running a memtest for 1hr+ and got a PASS of 3 and no errors maybe.

and just today when I turned on the PC Screenshot # 2 shows. Ram again resets and the bios resets :confused: ... BTW also my board got the latest BIOS version 1503.

Screenshot #1:

i0acPeD.jpg

Screenshot #2:

KeiFEU0.jpg

Memory Ok! succeeds in system booting! = means the ram was checked against bios setup and memory failed at DDR1866 and the bios reset to DDR1600. Does that bios have the latest feature where pressing F12 in bios will save a screen caputure of what is shown on screen? You need to see if that early board has that feature and how to use it. How to format the Usb stick etc. IF not can take pictures as you did of what we need to look at.
RGone...

I usually wee the press F1 when OC failed. And it will reset to defaults. You're not currently OCing correct.

Back