• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5a99FX pro r2.0 + AMD FX 8350 Vishera (B.E)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
Get out of offset mode for cpu and cpu-nb and go to manual. Then set to 1.375Vcore and set CPU LLC to the middle setting. That should give the thing enough cpu voltage all the time to not take a dump.

OP
darkblitz05

darkblitz05

You notice the voltage drop in CPU-z because you still have the "green stuff" enabled that lowers voltages and frequencies to save power and reduce heat. Go into bios and disable Cool N Quiet and you won't see that voltage drop. Actually, it only does that when the machine is idling. As soon as you put a load to it Cool N Quiet lets go. But it is a little confusing and overclockers generally disable it because it makes it difficult to tell where your idle voltages are really at. While you're in bios, you might also want to disable AMD Turbo Core Technology, Core C6 State, C1E and APM Master Mode - more green stuff that messes with voltages and frequencies. But start with Cool N Quiet. If you are only using the stock cooler I'm afraid you are going to have temp problems if you disable all the green stuff. Are you using the stock cooler that came with the FX-8350? You should add that info to your Sig. It's very important.

So, I take it you are now able to boot into Windows with the FX-8350?

@trents
Yes its running now, but still im on its testing phase.. gonna monitor it first.
Yes im using the stock cooler, well isnt it ok to use it? im not really that kind of user to overclock, just a simple type user which is a fan of ADM.

Get out of offset mode for cpu and cpu-nb and go to manual. Then set to 1.375Vcore and set CPU LLC to the middle setting. That should give the thing enough cpu voltage all the time to not take a dump.

hmmm any idea how to get off OFFSET MODE? when i click offset mode on bios it only gives the options "+ / -"

Running FX 8350
fx.png

OP
darkblitz05

darkblitz05

Guys I really want to thank you all, specially trents you save my life bro! lol..

my 8350 now is running..
Last question (for now hehe): What kind of CPU cooling system I need?

Can you recommend me some, for amd fx 8350 nat also that is somehow cheaper+good quality of maintaining the temp of the cpu.

This forum is the best, got members that really shares information/tips/guides... THUMBS UP!
This is what you called the best forum community.
Hoping also that I can help others here with what I know.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
The cooler master Hyper 212+ is a great budget cooler, the True and True 140 are slightly more expensive and a little better. There are lots of good options in the ~$30-50 range.

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
YOUR manual on page #85 says the choices are CPU & NB [Offset Mode]
[Manual Mode] Allows you to set a fixed CPU & NB Voltage.
[Offset Mode] Allows you to set the Offset voltage.

Scroll down to the choice and press ENTER key and see if those options pop-up. Set manual mode to choose and exact cpu voltage.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Good to see you up and running. Ya I have that board just click on it with the mouse and the option will come up to change to manual.

OCMusicJunkie

Hey, wish I'd seen this earlier, haven't been on the boards here in a couple days. I have the exact same setup and I can tell you that I've come to realize the 8350 *will* crash almost 100% of the time with default settings on our motherboard with the latest BIOS update. I don't know why that made the difference, but it somehow did. When I was running the old, old version that came with the board, I didn't have the issue. I wouldn't advise you to try to revert back to an older BIOS version, I'm just telling you so that you know nothing is necessarily wrong with your system that needs replacing.... other than the stock cooler, which just isn't enough to cut it on this CPU.

There are a few areas I've found specifically that default to really, really odd values with this board/cpu combo. First, it sets the memory to around 1.482v instead of the 1.5v it should be delivering, and that doesn't ever bump up... set the memory voltage manually. The next thing is that it seems to think that it's a good starting point to have 1.45v on the CPU/NB. That's not quite right, especially when it only sets the actual CPU vcore to 1.34. If you are running factory clock speeds, anywhere from 1.2 to 1.25v on the CPU/NB should be good based on what I've found. Yet another, and this is a general issue I take with their default settings on all their motherboards (although I love Asus in general)- it sets the case fan MAX speed to 60% with the automatically enabled fan controls in BIOS. Either turn them off so the fans run at 100%, or at least set the fans to 100% after 50c so that there is some hope of staying cool. 60% max speed at 70c is nuts. Lastly, with the 8350, you should adjust the power phase from "standard" to "optimized" or "extreme" in the power control settings (enter this screen right below where you enter memory timings).

I suspect a lot of this stuff will get fixed with future BIOS updates. It doesn't bother me because I only would ever consider running default settings during a OS reinstall or some other situation where I just want the thing as stable as possible. It's a little annoying that it isn't an option to do that right now with this setup, but that's all it really is. For me personally, it made sense to setup one ultra-stable config to save in the BIOS profile list that I can revert to in the future for such occasions. I disabled turbo, downclocked to 3800mhz, have the memory at 1333mhz, power saving features off, fans full speed, ect. For the record, it is a very stable setup once you tune it right. I fold on mine 9-12 hours a day (heavier stress than most testing programs) at 4.3ghz with 2600mhz NB and 1866 mhz memory. The only issue I ever run into is heat after long enough.

As for cooling- I know that it's technically accurate, but it's a bit dishonest that they even call this a 125w TDP chip. My 125w Phenom 965 would stay under 50c at 4.4ghz (overclocked by a full 1ghz). I changed nothing except the processor, and the same system hits 55c during stress testing if I overclock by just 300mhz. I'm looking at custom H20 options now. If you aren't OC'ing but just running it at normal speed, you should be fine with any tower cooler. The 212 Evo is popular- I prefer the Xigmatek Gaia for the same price and design. The Xigmatek Dark Knight has been on sale cheap )~$35) the past few days around the web, and scores really, really well according to FrostyTech's review.

I really hope Asus gets the next BIOS revision square for this board- I have a bad feeling that there is going to be a lot of people reporting this same issue in the meanwhile, and it's going to create a bad imagine for an otherwise solid product.

trents

Guys I really want to thank you all, specially trents you save my life bro! lol..

my 8350 now is running..
Last question (for now hehe): What kind of CPU cooling system I need?

Can you recommend me some, for amd fx 8350 nat also that is somehow cheaper+good quality of maintaining the temp of the cpu.

This forum is the best, got members that really shares information/tips/guides... THUMBS UP!
This is what you called the best forum community.
Hoping also that I can help others here with what I know.

Glad we could help. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ is a very popular cooler and good bang for the buck. Should give better cooling than the stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU and allow you to get a very modest overclock or at least better temps at stock. You have yet to do any real stress testing on your system at stock, correct? You will need to run and pass a Prime95 blend test of at least two hours in length to be confident your system is stable. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop anytime you are stress testing and don't allow the CPUTIN temperature to exceed 70c or the Package temp to exceed 60c.

trents

Hey, wish I'd seen this earlier, haven't been on the boards here in a couple days. I have the exact same setup and I can tell you that I've come to realize the 8350 *will* crash almost 100% of the time with default settings on our motherboard with the latest BIOS update. I don't know why that made the difference, but it somehow did. When I was running the old, old version that came with the board, I didn't have the issue. I wouldn't advise you to try to revert back to an older BIOS version, I'm just telling you so that you know nothing is necessarily wrong with your system that needs replacing.... other than the stock cooler, which just isn't enough to cut it on this CPU.

There are a few areas I've found specifically that default to really, really odd values with this board/cpu combo. First, it sets the memory to around 1.482v instead of the 1.5v it should be delivering, and that doesn't ever bump up... set the memory voltage manually. The next thing is that it seems to think that it's a good starting point to have 1.45v on the CPU/NB. That's not quite right, especially when it only sets the actual CPU vcore to 1.34. If you are running factory clock speeds, anywhere from 1.2 to 1.25v on the CPU/NB should be good based on what I've found. Yet another, and this is a general issue I take with their default settings on all their motherboards (although I love Asus in general)- it sets the case fan MAX speed to 60% with the automatically enabled fan controls in BIOS. Either turn them off so the fans run at 100%, or at least set the fans to 100% after 50c so that there is some hope of staying cool. 60% max speed at 70c is nuts. Lastly, with the 8350, you should adjust the power phase from "standard" to "optimized" or "extreme" in the power control settings (enter this screen right below where you enter memory timings).

I suspect a lot of this stuff will get fixed with future BIOS updates. It doesn't bother me because I only would ever consider running default settings during a OS reinstall or some other situation where I just want the thing as stable as possible. It's a little annoying that it isn't an option to do that right now with this setup, but that's all it really is. For me personally, it made sense to setup one ultra-stable config to save in the BIOS profile list that I can revert to in the future for such occasions. I disabled turbo, downclocked to 3800mhz, have the memory at 1333mhz, power saving features off, fans full speed, ect. For the record, it is a very stable setup once you tune it right. I fold on mine 9-12 hours a day (heavier stress than most testing programs) at 4.3ghz with 2600mhz NB and 1866 mhz memory. The only issue I ever run into is heat after long enough.

As for cooling- I know that it's technically accurate, but it's a bit dishonest that they even call this a 125w TDP chip. My 125w Phenom 965 would stay under 50c at 4.4ghz (overclocked by a full 1ghz). I changed nothing except the processor, and the same system hits 55c during stress testing if I overclock by just 300mhz. I'm looking at custom H20 options now. If you aren't OC'ing but just running it at normal speed, you should be fine with any tower cooler. The 212 Evo is popular- I prefer the Xigmatek Gaia for the same price and design. The Xigmatek Dark Knight has been on sale cheap )~$35) the past few days around the web, and scores really, really well according to FrostyTech's review.

I really hope Asus gets the next BIOS revision square for this board- I have a bad feeling that there is going to be a lot of people reporting this same issue in the meanwhile, and it's going to create a bad imagine for an otherwise solid product.

Asus has been screwing up lately on a couple of their mid range and lower end high range AMD boards that are "revision 2".

OCMusicJunkie

Asus has been screwing up lately on a couple of their mid range and lower end high range AMD boards that are "revision 2".

I still will swear by the quality of the board itself- I had better success overclocking my pair Phenom 965's + FX Pro R2.0 setups than anyone else I've ever seen on air cooling, even comparing to the Crosshair boards. I've also had some nice results with the 8350 that I doubt many other boards could match... it's just a shame to take a great quality physical product and make it completely unreliable with sloppy attention to the software side. I couldn't believe it when I failed OCCT tests using the processor in either of my systems within ten minutes using factory defaults. I would guess that would be enough to cause about 50% of users to RMA the thing....

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I would guess that would be enough to cause about 50% of users to RMA the thing....
You can also add the screw up of the Ai Suite causing the computer not to shut down to the RMA list. Which was easily solved by un installing AI Suite.

trents

darkblitz05, before you throw down bucks on a new cooler you'd better make sure your case has enough width to accommodate the height of the cooler you buy. Please add to your Sig the make and model of your case or at least measure across the top of it (outside measurement). The CM Hyper 212+ and all tower-style coolers based on 120mm fans will need a case to be at least 7.5" wide.

OP
darkblitz05

darkblitz05

@ALL

UPDATE - now after running the 8350 and solved(maybe) the vcore voltage, sometimes my system runs, and sometimes in minutes of testing the system its back to the FREEZE PROBLEM AGAIN any help/tips guys to solve this issue again?

hmmm sir, can you provide me the specific name/fields/data to manual edit the bios settings cause Im really NEW to this:salute:

trents

Have you monitored temps yet? Download and install the non-pro version of HWMonitor and keep in open on the desktop to record min and max CPUTIN and Package temps. You may have temp-related instability, especially since you turned off some of the green stuff and upped the CPU voltage on the stock cooler.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
The NB voltage is right under the CPU voltage and the power phase he speaks of is in the DIGI+ power control you'll find CPU PLL and NB PLL that's what Rgone is suggesting you chang.

OP
darkblitz05

darkblitz05

I followed OCMusicJunkie advised on = with the 8350, you should adjust the power phase from "standard" to "optimized" or "extreme" in the power control settings (enter this screen right below where you enter memory timings)

And im waiting if there's gonna be some FREEZE problem, hope there will be none.

Heres the reading for now.
reading.png

OP
darkblitz05

darkblitz05

hmm confirmed still got the FREEZE PROBLEM..
It just randomly drops/freezes.
I adjusted the power phase to optimal, just dont know where to set the Ram voltage to 1.5v

@trents
any idea where to set the ram voltage? did u see my last screenshots of the bios setup can you pinpoint were to set it?

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
hmm confirmed still got the FREEZE PROBLEM..
It just randomly drops/freezes.
I adjusted the power phase to optimal, just dont know where to set the Ram voltage to 1.5v

@trents
any idea where to set the ram voltage? did u see my last screenshots of the bios setup can you pinpoint were to set it?

Your motherboard manual shows all the bios settings. By name for every setting and by what the setting does. Generally even a range that the setting will allow. Generally a picture of the bios menu followed by the names of the items in the preceeding picture. The manual is pretty good for those boards and helpful even.
RGone...