• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 with Vishera 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJTraxx

Registered
Hi ll. Newbie overclocker here. I just completed my 3rd build and am just sinking my teeth into the overclocking. I know how to use the Asus bios and adjust the settings, just not too sure what all the settings are for. Here are my specs:

Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0
AMD Vishera 8350 unlocked
32 gb Kingston Hyperx Beast 2133
Corsair Hydro 100i cpu liquid cooler
Samsung 840 Evo 500gb for os and programs
Corsair 600T case
EVGA 1000 watt power supply
Kingston hyper ram cooling fan
WD black 4tb for storage
2 older ATI 5750's in crossfire (carried over from last build to start this one sooner) Planning on getting a GTX 770 next month

Asus MB has latest BIOS

System is up and running on first try with nothing to correct. I will note that it does take longer than expected to cold boot. I just did a build with a gigabyte board and AMD Richland 6800 with only 4 gb of ram with my son. His machine starts from cold boot noticably quicker than mine.

I had to set the RAM in the Asus BIOS after it was up and running. the M5A99 picked up 1333 ram. I had to play around with the ram setting a bunch to get it close to the advertised 2133. I set it to DOCP, manually selected 2000mhz profile, and had it running at 1996 mhz. No problems. I just reset all of the ram adjustments in the BIOS back to auto, turned the AMD turbo and all of the green stuff off in the BIOS.

I'm not sure what programs you guys use aside from cpuid and prime 95. I would love some help setting the RAM up with the proper timings for 2133 and overclocking the cpu up to around 4.6 or so.

I'm not sure where to begin. I think I should try to overclock the cpu first and then, when I find the spot I like, set the ram timings. I don't know which items to adjust in BIOS to accomplish either. I do know that I shouldn't use the AI tweaker to auto overclock though. Help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have screenshots of HWMonitor, CPUID CPU and memory, I just don't know how to attach them to this post from my desktop.

Last edited:
I set it to DOCP, manually selected 2000mhz profile = D. O. C. P. also adjust other than just the ram so we never use that setting.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

Go in bios and Disable > C1/E, Cool N Quiet > C6 > TurboCore > APM if in bios > Enable HPC if in bios. Go to windows power management and Set to "performance mode". Then do as outlined below and 'attach' not link your pics to the forum.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You can upload more than 3 images by repeatedly use BROWSE for file to upload. Images will appear in the post in the order they are uploaded unless you physically arrange the images differently.

workers 6,7,&8 stopped almost immediately

adjusted what you asked me to in bios, set high performance in power management. Running Prime95 now. workers 8, then 7, then 6 failed in that order only a little into the test. It is still running. here are the screenshots. Ran Prime 95 for 25 minutes on blend test. workers 6,7,8 were the only failures.

Attachments

• hwmonitor.PNG
    hwmonitor.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,168
  • cpu-4306.png
    cpu-4306.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,134
  • memory-4334.png
    memory-4334.png
    48 KB · Views: 2,151
  • spd.png
    spd.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,144
If you are only testing the CPU for now, not ram, run Small FFT. When testing ram/system, use Blend.

If workers are dropping, you are close on vcore, but need MOAR. :)

I. Will rerun small fft. What adjustments should I make in the bios?

You need more vcore. Add .025. Your package and CPU temps are fine so you have plenty of room for more vcore. Also, you might want to rethink using that high emory mfrequency until you get the CPU overclock dialed in. They will do 1866 with the ram easy. Work with one thing at a time as much as possible.

I have the mem set to auto. I will add to the vcore, then run prime 95 small fft again. First run completed successfully. I have to go to work soon, so I won't be able to log back in here until tonight. Thanks for the help. Should I set the memory to manual 1333 or something?

Since you are using the FSB in your overclocking I would set the memory divider to 1600 for the time being and make sure the mem voltage and timings are correct for that frequency since you are using manual node on the mem frequency now.

I will manually set the ram to 1600 for now. also, I don't know hot to change the vcore in this Asus bios. that is the cpu voltage, right?

You will have to set the overclock tuner to Manual as well as the CPU/NB voltage, then you should be able to adjust the Voltage.

I already set the overclock tuner to manual. I wasn't sure what the cpu/nb was. I'll set that to manual when I get home tonight and try to bump up the cpu voltage (vcore) by
.025. Thanks for your patience and help guys. I'm not familiar enough with all of the different settings. I would muck it all up if I tried on my own.

The difficulty in all this is that terminology differs dramatically from one bios to another so people helping you will use generic terms like "vcore".

If you could take some screenshots of your bios then attach them it would be a tremendous help. That way we would be seeing what you see. If you have a flash drive you can do screen capture in bios with the F12 key I believe which will save it to the stick. This is usually found in "Tools" I believe in the Asus bios.

OK. Sounds great. I'll do that and post my bios screen shots up tonight around 9 NY time. I'll try to get all of the important stuff. Thanks

You may have to downsize or "resample" the images before you can load them on the forum as there is a file size limit on attachments. A free program called Irfanview is great for this. 640x480 works well.

BIOS screenshots

I know there are a lot here, but I wanted to be sure and show you all of what I'm looking at... I need to know what adjustments I should make please.

any thoughts on this video?

maybe I should try this out and save it as a profile.

Attachments

• bios1.jpg
    bios1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,163
  • bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,150
  • bios3.jpg
    bios3.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,146
  • bios6.jpg
    bios6.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,152
  • bios5.jpg
    bios5.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,246
  • bios4.jpg
    bios4.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,103
  • bios7.jpg
    bios7.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,098
  • bios8.jpg
    bios8.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,121
  • bios9.jpg
    bios9.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,121
  • bios11.jpg
    bios11.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,232
  • bios10.jpg
    bios10.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,122
In your 2nd BIOS screen shot, "CPU & NB Voltage Offset Mode" Set that to manual the manually set your voltage to 1.3. Also in your 3rd SS set your Cpu Load line calibration to "high"

And then run prime short fft for 20 minutes?

Last edited:
changed the cpu load line calibration to high and the cpu & nb voltage offset mode to manual and set the voltage to 1.3. Running prime95 now for about 20 minutes. I noticed that my cpu vcore in hwmonitor fluctuates. The min. is 1.224 and max. is 1.296. Also the dram frequency in cpu-z also fluctuates between roughly 796 and 806. shouldn't both of these numbers stay static?

after cpu & offset, and cpu load line changes

here are the hwmonitor and cpu-z screen shots after cpu & nb voltage offset mode switched to manual, cpu & nb voltage set to 1.3, and cpu load line calibration set to high. It passed prime 95 short fft for about 30 minutes.

Attachments

• hwmonitor.PNG
    hwmonitor.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,143
  • cpu-4012.png
    cpu-4012.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 2,148
  • memory-4012.png
    memory-4012.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,107
  • spd.png
    spd.png