• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus Extreme and Q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenJelly

This is MY OcThread. It will take me awhile to overclock this machine, and I want a good SAFE overclock. I want to document the process I use, and what people think and say about what to do, where to go, and how to progress. Right now I am having problems finding default settings to start from.

Asus Maximus Extreme
Bios 1302 (Must Download From Asus Site, Asus Update Tool Does NOT show this)
x38 Defaults (as known - Will add more)
NBV 1.25?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (Yorkfield)
Multiplier 8.5
FSB - 333
Core Voltage - 1.25?

Corsair Memory
Part Number - CM3X1024-1800C7DHX (4 Sticks)
JEDEC #3 666MHz - 9, 9, 9, 24, 33 (SPD Readings) 1.5v
XMP-1800 900Mhz - 7, 7, 7, 20, 41 (SPD Readings) 2.0v
DRAM Command Rate - 2t
NOTE: I can not find this memory on corsairs website so I can not confirm its SPD settings are right. From what I remember the XMP settings are correct.

Tools:
CPU-Z, Prime95 (64-Bit), Intel Burn, OCCT, and Asus PC Probe II
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
http://www.mersenne.org/
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197835 (If this is not the homepage please send me a PM to fix it, or Admin please feel free to edit the link)
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php

Starting Point (settings)
OC From Memory Level Up - PC3-12800
Multiplier - 8.5
FSB Frequency - 333Mhz (1334Mhz) *Noted later as FSB
FSB Strap to North Bridge - 400Mhz
PCIE Frequency - 100
DRAM Frequency - DDR3 12800MHz *changes with FSB Frequency
DRAM Command Rate - 2t
Memory Voltage to 2.0v (RAM Specifications)
Primary - 7,7,7,20,4,48,10,5
Secondary- All Auto
CPU Voltage - 1.25 *Default?
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
NB Voltage - 1.27 *Default 1.25
DRAM Voltage - 2.00v *Corsair Setting
FSB Termination Voltage - 1.2 *Board Minimum
South Bridge Voltage - Auto
Load Line Calibration - Auto
CPU GTL Reference - Auto
North Bridge GTL Reference - Auto
DDR3 Channel A Ref Voltage - Auto
DDR3 Channel B Ref Voltage - Auto
DDR3 Controller Ref Voltage - Auto
SB 1.5v - 1.5v

Results - Max CPU Temp 33c (Intel Burn, Prime 95) - Stable
Clock Speed 2.83
DRAM Command Rate - 2t

SB 1.5v - 1.5v
Dram Command Rate - 2t
FSB Termination Voltage - 1.2 (Board Minimum)

Point 1
NBVoltage 1.3
FSB 350mhz (CPUZ reports 351), Rated FSB 1405.8
Resulting Core Speed - 2983

Point 2
FSB 370mhz, Rated FSB 1480
Lowered NBVoltage 1.27
Resulting Core Speed - 3145
Prime Stable - Low Temps (Moved onto IntelBurnTest to Warm Up Water)
IntelBurnTest v2.4
*Asus PCProbe is reporting SB 1.10v (1.09), SB2 1.54v. NB1.30v
*Temps CPU 35c North Bridge 33c
*CONCLUSION MORE OVERCLOCKING

Point 3
Note: Jumped to 400mhz (failed to POST)
FSB 380mhz, Rated FSB 1520
Resulting Core Speed - 3230Mhz (9% increase)

Point 4
FSB 390mhz, Rated FSB 1560
Resulting Core Speed - 3315Mhz (10% increase)
* 2 Hour Prime Test - Temps Under 37c - No Failures

History: I am starting this thread because I changed my CPU from a Duel Core Extreme X6800 to a Q9505. I have had the Maximus Extreme for some time, but besides for memory voltages, cpu multiplier, memory multiplier and vcore I had not done much. I had a modest gain, a 366mhz fsb -> 400mhz fsb at 1.45 vcore. This seems to be a limit of the chip since regardless of motherboards, I could never get it above this. I ended up finding out that I was sold an Engineering sample by a company that went out of business. This is a WATER COOLED SYSTEM.

This Post Will Be Modified OFTEN as more information and more responses come in.

Last edited:
Looking for Default and Info on...

The Following Are NOT currently Set!
South Bridge Voltage
Loadline Calibration
CPU GTL Refernece
North Bridge GTL Reference
North Bridge GTL Reference
DDR3 Channel A REF Voltage
DDR3 Channel B REF Voltage

Last edited:
STUCK!

Point 5
FSB 395mhz, Rated FSB 1580
Resulting Core Speed - 3357Mhz
Booted, Prime Failed, BSOD :(
No Changes In Voltages!

FAILED PRIME
This is where I am stuck. I have tried the following,
FSB
400Mhz NB 1.29v VCore 1.25625v (+.02v, +1 steps) No Post
400Mhz NB 1.31v VCore 1.26250v (+.04v, +2 steps) Started Windows, Reset
400Mhz NB 1.27v VCore 1.26250v (0, +2 Steps) Reset My CLOCK!

Right now the machine Runs REALLY stable at 390FSB, any increases seem to lead to instant instability. I don't know where to go from here. I can try to decrease Memory MHz, decrease the RATED FSB, Drop the Multiplier (and increase FSB), or play with some of the other voltages. Here is a good info on the RAM http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/memdb-corsair-ddr3-1800c7d.html

Last edited:
If you have an ES chip. you might try raising the multiplier instead of raising the bus.
Some ES chips have the multi unlocked and you can raise it incrementally.
Some engineering samples can only drop the multi...So you might play a bit...maybe you can then see if it is the mem or the cpu that is holding you back.
It doesn't look to me that your cpu is overheating just yet, so you may want to give it a bit more juice...just use caution when adding volts.
Good luck,
Doc

Sorry, to clarify, the Q9550 is not an ES. My X6800 was.

Currently the system is extremely unstable at almost all settings. I replaced the CMOS battery, and set to default settings, however that did not fix the issue. I had to go in and manually set some of the values. Still the BIOS values seem to be getting corrupted (somehow) and I am unsure what to do. I fear the system may have caused damage to itself. During these issues, I had faced a crash that allowed me to go into the BIOS. There I saw virtually random settings, including extreme voltage settings. The Q9550 chip came out AFTER the x38 chipset. Asus states they support the chip, but overclocking was easy, then something seemed to snap and just having a stable machine has been difficult at best.

P.S. The title of this thread not Q9505 (as shown in the thread list) but Q9550.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but it sounds like your board is just going south, and in need of replacing.
If your board is still under warranty then RMA it. If not you can probably negotiate repair for a small fee...Abit used to do non warranty boards for $25.00 U.S.
I don't know if Asus has a similar program but worth a looksee.

BTW, does the X6800 work ok in that board?

I hate to say it, but it sounds like your board is just going south, and in need of replacing.
If your board is still under warranty then RMA it. If not you can probably negotiate repair for a small fee...Abit used to do non warranty boards for $25.00 U.S.
I don't know if Asus has a similar program but worth a looksee.

BTW, does the X6800 work ok in that board?

Installing the Q9550 would not work. I don't think the CMOS was resetting, however the X6800 would work when swapped. We actually swapped it a few times and then the Q9550 finally worked.

I am not sure the board is bad. I replaced the CMOS battery and have had 100% reliable unless I dial in the above settings. Some settings are incorrect on the board. I keep the board pretty much on Auto except I change the memory voltage up. This seems to made the machine stable, and even ran prime overnight.

I had a few slight leaks start to form. They were near the reservoir and on the intake of the pump. I rewired the machine, replaced the pipe, and flushed the system with tap water. I changed the tube and added some pipe tap to the fitting that was leaking. I am going to run tap water into it until Monday when I can drive down to Frozen CPU and buy some coolant (They are just a few towns over). The coolant is 2-3 years old, and if I have to drain the machine I prefer to simply replace the coolant and flush the system.

Part of my problem is the design of the motherboard. The SATA ports wont support locking SATA cables. So if you breath on it wrong the ports come loose and you have a problem.

Another problem is the Bios doesn't seem to have the correct default settings. Figuring out what "Auto" is, seems to be difficult. On this board, I have never run the timings to the setting Corsair says will work. I have always used "Auto", and thus it has been stable.

Replacing the MoBo is more of a Pain in the ***. First its a 2 week waiting time, second it pretty much takes a complete system tear down to get the board out. (The Wonders of WATER COOLING)!

This is frustrating. I run a G15 keyboard, a USB Mic, USB G5 Mouse, a printer, etc. I have heard of problems where the machine will struggle to start because of the power requirements of the G15. I also have 8 fan plugs on the motherboard, all used.

Blueray DVD, 2 DVD R/W's, a 500 Seagate, 1 GB WD Black, and a 200gig PATA (used for storing downloads and images).

Last edited:
I got this computer stable. Any twisting of the tubes on the water block will cause this issue to pop up again.

Anyways, I just have to be more carefull when I stick my hands in the machine.

I have tried my initial settings (on a stable machine) and they do not work. All I can think about is going through each stage and set the values one by one until I find the culprit.

I want a good overclock on this machine. It really deserves one and should get one!

Any help is appreciated. I know the Corsair guys tested there memory on the sister motherboard the Formula (2?). The Maximus is only different in the fact that it has a NB water block.

1.25 volts for the NB is way to low imo, GTL's will be your friend in getting the chip high FSB stable, board should do 500FSB

For reference the Maximus Formula II is a P45 board and a waterblock had nothing to do with it, Maximus Formula SE had a waterblock, Maximus Formula Extreme DDR 3

On a side note trfc will be a factor in getting ram stable 88 or higher and with 4 dimm slots populated vNB will need to be set around 1.40 or higher mine need 1.47 vNB for stability

I've got the air version of the Maximus Forumla and a Q9550.

This is what I've used to get to 3.740Hz.

CPU Ratio Setting - 8.5
FSB - 440
FSB Strap - Auto
PCIE Frequency - 100
DRAM Frequency - DDR2-1057
DRAM Command Rate - Auto
DRAM Timing Control - Auto
DRAM Static Read Control - Auto
Ai Clock Twister - Light
Transaction Booster - Auto

CPU Voltage - 1.31250V
CPU PLL - 1.50v
North Bridge - 1.31v
DRAM - Auto
FSB termination - 1.40v
South Bridge - 1.075v
Loadline - Enabled
CPU GTL - Auto
North Bridge GTL - Auto
A Ref - Auto
B Ref - Auto
Controller Ref - Auto
SB 1.5v - Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled

The one thing I found that has stopped me from getting a higher FSB than 370 has been the RAM. Anthing over 1066 renders my machine really unstable.
Hope this info helps!

Back