• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus V Gene Owner Resources - BIOS, Guide, Reviews, and Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well,rog connect flashed ok apparently, but still same behavior.

:(

Guess I'll have to wait till someone else chimes in...can bclk really kill my board like that? 106.9mhz, come on! No serious overvolting, not even cold...24w at load dual core.

It sounds like a dead CPU to me. That seems to be what mine did when it died.

ROG Connect goes via a MCU on the motherboard, not the CPU. You can flash it without a CPU even being installed, or at least you could on older ROG Connect boards.

Try boosting voltages via Rog Connect before booting and/or during POST?

ROG Connect goes via a MCU on the motherboard, not the CPU. You can flash it without a CPU even being installed, or at least you could on older ROG Connect boards.

Try boosting voltages via Rog Connect before booting and/or during POST?

I gave the work laptop back...I should borrow a netbook to do that.
I'll give it a shot though.
I know the mcu thing does the flash, but I thought that implied the board is ok.
Do you think it can really die for doing 106.9mhz bclk on air? What kind of mobo is that if it does? lol

It can die only by too high voltage or if it was defective. Bclk is affecting stability and can cause BIOS or system corruption but not really cpu.
ROG connect flashing is working without cpu. You just need flash drive with M5G.CAP bios file and hold button next to white usb port till it starts blinking. Then just wait till it stops and power on board.

I have one weird issue with Samsung memory on MVG at 2600 or higher clock. Memtest is passing without problems but system is freezing in like 5-10 seconds under load. Memory is also booting without problems above 2800. So no errors, just freeze and only on Samsungs. Anyone knows how to solve it ? I already checked most available official and beta bioses.

It can die only by too high voltage or if it was defective. Bclk is affecting stability and can cause BIOS or system corruption but not really cpu.
ROG connect flashing is working without cpu. You just need flash drive with M5G.CAP bios file and hold button next to white usb port till it starts blinking. Then just wait till it stops and power on board.

I have one weird issue with Samsung memory on MVG at 2600 or higher clock. Memtest is passing without problems but system is freezing in like 5-10 seconds under load. Memory is also booting without problems above 2800. So no errors, just freeze and only on Samsungs. Anyone knows how to solve it ? I already checked most available official and beta bioses.

Ok, I'll try flashing the bios again cause my flash drive might not work properly.

Installed the 3770k in single channel mode and got the same behavior, no q-code and fans start buut immediately stop.

I think the bios chip got wrecked. Does the board have a backup one or am I lost already?

One bios is enough and ROG flash option is much better than any dual bios feature that I saw. If not that ROG flash feature then both my MVG would be in RMA at least 10 times. People are making RMA for Gigabyte dual BIOS boards more often than for any ROG board just because 2nd BIOS is often not working when 1st is failing ( I don't know why but I had to make at least 3 RMA for that ).
Also think that most ASRock boards don't even have BIOS recovery when something fails. They just disabled this option in BIOS chip.

On the other hand ASUS has probably worst BIOS support that I saw. If they fix one thing then other isn't working. No matter if it's Intel or AMD board. Since Shamino dropped MVG support and moved to newer series then all official BIOSes are only worse than any previous beta. So you can count that if for about half year since premiere you won't see good BIOS then it won't happen at all ( MVG bioses after 0904 beta are good example ).

Any beta is better than official versions... 1101 is maybe the only official that was working good for me. 1408 was worst.
For most users there is no difference between most of these bioses. For example you won't see difference in Hynix or PSC overclocking but when you move to Samsung then on last 3 official versions you can have some issues with higher clocks ( or at least I have ).

Well I have no issues ram clocking, but I was getting odd "symptoms" during my last session. I would make a change in the bios, and there would be no change after saving and quitting. For example, I changed from 4c/8t to 2c/2t and there was no change in Windows until I reset the bios. I was also running Extreme OV enabled for the whole session, and when I reset bios to change the cores, Extreme OV wouldn't turn on (it was enabled in the bios and ROG connect wouldn't go past 1.5v). So I just set it high in bios and used the multiplier just fine. But it was annoying.

I downloaded bios 0905 or something from Shammy's thread at kpc.
I'll be getting a new flashdrive tomorrow so I'll retry flashing the bios by then.
Hopefully I can fix it without resorting to RMA cause that would mean sending the board to the US or sending it to Asus local rma dept, which charges some money for repairs.

Well I have no issues ram clocking, but I was getting odd "symptoms" during my last session. I would make a change in the bios, and there would be no change after saving and quitting. For example, I changed from 4c/8t to 2c/2t and there was no change in Windows until I reset the bios. I was also running Extreme OV enabled for the whole session, and when I reset bios to change the cores, Extreme OV wouldn't turn on (it was enabled in the bios and ROG connect wouldn't go past 1.5v). So I just set it high in bios and used the multiplier just fine. But it was annoying.

I had the same issue on my MVG when cold chance, it was caused by the voltage monitoring not being disabled, which you disable by going into monitoring and clicking on the CPU voltage (which shows the current vcore but no options until you click it) then it gives you a option to disable, then with eov enabled the sky is the limit :D

Odd. I could have sworn I had that turned off already. Oh well, I'll give it another shot because I'm obviously going cold again. ;)

Well, rog connect let me fix bclk and voltages...bclk was 80mhz, vcore 0.8v and vdimm 1.2v!
reset that after flashing a new bios and the board fires up nicely after removing a faulty molex to 3 pin adapter I had. Only quirk is I got a 00 post code on the q-code led (I guess I need to mount the cpu cooler properly, I barely placed it over the cpu ihs without the mounting mechanism or backplate cause I was afraid of shorting something). So perhaps the cpu is dead after all, or not.
I'll buy some plastic o rings to screw the board and cooler without shorting anything to see.

Back