• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Maximus VII GENE Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

ASUS has long since dispelled the myth that smaller form factor motherboards can't be powerhouse performers. You need look no further than the Z87 based Maximus VI GENE and Maximus VI Impact to prove that point. Today, we're moving onto the next generation Intel Z97 chipset and the ASUS Republic of Gamers Maximus VII GENE. This mATX form factor motherboard actually sits atop the initial ASUS Z97 ROG offerings, or at least until the Maximus VII Formula is re... ... Return to article to continue reading.

Thanks for the review. :thup:

I like the ASUS "Gene" series motherboards... I had a RIIIGene in the past and I'm currently running a MVGene now for my socket 1155 cpu.

This most recent edition will be on my short list for consideration to pair along with the up coming release of the "Devil's Canyon" K-series cpu.

Nice looking board.

good to hear they fixed the memory problems the other gene had.

Im not sure why they are pushing The sound hardware so much i guess their really isnt much innovation to toute otherwise.

I think it was Linus that did a Large Blind Sound test with a pile of high end sound cards and onboard sound mixed together and the testers couldn't even tell the difference between them.

So you can see why i look at all these fancy "Innovations" to sound to be a little silly and mostly just marketing mubo jumbo but what ever at least people will know their onboard is great also and wont feel that pressure to buy a soundcard.

They added back PS2 also which is smart for a OCing board as i think we have all had issues where USB will just stop working on a install or something and you need that PS2 to reinstall the USB connectors or get past that issue so the drivers can install. smart for asus to re add that.

Its surprising they can even make the memory run faster since the IMC on the CPU controls that portion of things wonder what kind of voodoo they are using to pull that off? perhaps just better Timings lists for the sub timings ect.

I know with my nick shi profiles on my Asrock OC Formula i have never had issues running my mem @ 2666mhz with high oc's on the CPU.

and Haswell is supposed to have even better IMC so its odd to see you having those issues.

Nice board but I wish to try something like Impact ... just can't see it listed yet.

M7G dram layout changed from previous gen. M6G which focused more on 4 dimms performance.

This time around M7G dram performance will sit in between 2 dimms and 4 dimms

Heres with dual BBSE air @ 2700 tight secondaries and tertiaries

LbYgkWZ.jpg

Last edited:
I think it was Linus that did a Large Blind Sound test with a pile of high end sound cards and onboard sound mixed together and the testers couldn't even tell the difference between them.

So you can see why i look at all these fancy "Innovations" to sound to be a little silly and mostly just marketing mubo jumbo but what ever at least people will know their onboard is great also and wont feel that pressure to buy a soundcard.

The guys who brag about their 'golden ears' can't really hear the difference when they can't see and know what they are comparing. ABX listening comparisons drive them nuts and they dismiss the test method's validity and go on bragging how good their ears are.

This board looks very interesting to me. I just don't know how cool things will run in a small μATX case with the latest top nVidia or AMD graphics cards packed in there with it and some overclocking mixed in.

Thanks for the review!

I am thinking that I may pick one of these up along with one of those unlocked pentiums.

I suppose if you're waiting for the next Intel gen to come out, buying a cheap 'Pentium' or 'Celeron' is an option instead of a $350 i7 Haswell as a place holder.

Back