• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus or Abit....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcortz_2000

Hi all,

Well I am down to the wire and still am not sure.

I have ordered my 2.6c from googlegear.....
Should be here by friday....

I am in a state of what to get.

I understand from reading countless reviews...

It seems that either the IC7/IC7-g or the Asus P4C800 are the boards to get.

So far it seems these are the major issues

Abit still has major issues with sensor readings....
Memory issues..
Raid performance apparently drops badley when FSB is overclocked....
bios needs work with memory timmings being held...

Asus has issues with 9700's
memory issues...
runs slightly more relaxed timmings...
Does not have all features etc...

I am probably missing some more major issues but anyway...

I basically want the setup that will achieve the highest stable overclock....
I am willing to get the best available ram.......
I am very hesitant about the IC7/IC7-G temp issues....

I am basically looking for your opinions on Motherboard/Memory recommendations....

preferably 2 x 512 pc3700/3500

I have heard very good things about these A-Data modules and good things about the new Twinmos stuff....
I am looking for 275-300Mhz Bus using 5:4 ratio at tighest timmings....

All I want is the hands down best Motherboard/Ram for either one of these boards and why u suggest it...

I am open to any suggestion....

gouda96

out of those 2 i would get the ic7... but i would first take a look at the p4p800.

It is an 865pe board, so it should be cheeper than either of them, and from what i have seen it preforms and oc's better than both of them... still kind of early to tell for me which is the best though

I would also be looking to find out more about the is7. I haven't seen much about it so i can't comment on it, but if it is as good as the ic7 or the p4p800 it is worth a look at only $115.

OP
mcortz_2000

mcortz_2000

Re: ...

gouda96 said:
out of those 2 i would get the ic7... but i would first take a look at the p4p800.

It is an 865pe board, so it should be cheeper than either of them, and from what i have seen it preforms and oc's better than both of them... still kind of early to tell for me which is the best though

I would also be looking to find out more about the is7. I haven't seen much about it so i can't comment on it, but if it is as good as the ic7 or the p4p800 it is worth a look at only $115.

Ok good point...
The thing is I have heard that the memory controller on the 865 is not as good as the one on the 875.
I aslo would like to be able to run 2 x Raptor drives down the line so I need a board with Sata Raid on board...

baraka

Another thing to consider if you're going to be overclocking is the available voltage settings. I think the ic7 was a little better in this regard.

OP
mcortz_2000

mcortz_2000

baraka said:
Another thing to consider if you're going to be overclocking is the available voltage settings. I think the ic7 was a little better in this regard.

Compared to the P4C800 I presume you mean.
Anyway yes i have heard it has good voltages etc...
Its temp problems trouble me though....
As does the Raid issue.
Anyway people please continue with recommendations.

Many Thanks,
:) :) :)

micamica1217

hands down it has to be the abit IC7....

it has the best voltage regulator out of all, I repeat, ALL the mobos listed above.
no way I could hit 3.5ghz with this 2.4b, fully rock stable.
prime95 tested at over 24hrs.

you want Raptors....then get the abit IC7.

my temps are dead on correct...no bad readings here.

Abit still has major issues with sensor readings....
Memory issues..
Raid performance apparently drops badley when FSB is overclocked....
bios needs work with memory timmings being held...

I've seen "NO" performance problems with raid and OCing..
and with the new 1.1 bios all is good with the ram timmings.

now if you do get a mobo that reads the temps incorrectly...then just adjust the temp in your head....big deal, I had to do it with my old asus P4PE/L.;)

abit also has no vid card problem.

btw, get the best memory you can no matter what mobo you get.

mica

OP
mcortz_2000

mcortz_2000

rmonster said:
I'm running an IC7 & 2.6c at 3445, stock voltage. With better memory I'm hoping for a bit more, I'm using some twinmos 3200 with the 5:4 divider.

Hi there Monster,

Well it seems that you have what will be a similar setup as far as CPU, and board. Is there a difference between the raid found on the IC7 and the Raid on the IC7-G.
I have heard they implement either the Silicon chip or they use the boards controller instead. Which solution is used in the normal IC7 that you have.
What are your temps and what cooling are you using.
Sorry for all the questions but I want to be sure.

hehehe still haven't found that money tree and need to make right decision first time round.....

:)

baraka

The ic7 implements raid 0 via the southbridge (ICH5R).

The ic7-g implements raid 0 via the southbridge and raid 0/1 via a Silicon Image PCI Chip

OP
mcortz_2000

mcortz_2000

baraka said:
The ic7 implements raid 0 via the southbridge (ICH5R).

The ic7-g implements raid 0 via the southbridge and raid 0/1 via a Silicon Image PCI Chip

What is the performance difference between the Raid 0 on the Southbridge and the Silicon Image chip.

:)

baraka

I don't know if anyone has ever done a comparison of the two but I imagine the southbridge would be better.

rmonster

Looks like the question for the most part has already been answered regarding raid. From what I've been told, the native raid performance should be slightly better than the pci raid, but have no personal experience with which to verify that claim.

For cooling, I'm running an external water box, with a Danner MD7 pump, a 11"x6"x2" heatercore, homemade reservoir and DD MAze3 block. Surfing the net, I average around 30~31C, under load I hit 34~36c with an ambient of 20C. On air, I imagine I'd be running a few degrees higher, but don't believe it would prevent my current oc speed.

I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with the Abit board, but you might be equally pleased with the Asus board. Depends on whether or not you'd make use of the extra features (gb lan, extra raid) as to which board I'd recommend.

OP
mcortz_2000

mcortz_2000

rmonster said:
Looks like the question for the most part has already been answered regarding raid. From what I've been told, the native raid performance should be slightly better than the pci raid, but have no personal experience with which to verify that claim.

For cooling, I'm running an external water box, with a Danner MD7 pump, a 11"x6"x2" heatercore, homemade reservoir and DD MAze3 block. Surfing the net, I average around 30~31C, under load I hit 34~36c with an ambient of 20C. On air, I imagine I'd be running a few degrees higher, but don't believe it would prevent my current oc speed.

I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with the Abit board, but you might be equally pleased with the Asus board. Depends on whether or not you'd make use of the extra features (gb lan, extra raid) as to which board I'd recommend.

Thanks Monster,

The help is much appreciated.
I will be making a decision hopefully by the end of the weekend.
Good luck with yours.

OP
mcortz_2000

mcortz_2000

jennyandgreg said:
The IC7 RAID going bad with an overclock is a new on one me. Has anyone else heard this at all?

Its more of that the performance goes down dramatically.
The place where i read it said that he was getting 75000-78000 in Sandra using 2 x Raptors and when he overclocked his FSB the performance went down to 45000-50000 range.
I wish i could find the article again....:(

micamica1217

mcortz_2000 said:

Its more of that the performance goes down dramatically.
The place where i read it said that he was getting 75000-78000 in Sandra using 2 x Raptors and when he overclocked his FSB the performance went down to 45000-50000 range.
I wish i could find the article again....:(

phooweeee.....

look at all the raptors running on the IC7 here in the forums.

they get great results.

just read the siggies of peeps here and send them a PM to ask them questions.

mica