• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus or BBA? X800 pro (want to pipemod)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EwoutvB

Hey guys,

Which should I get? I can either get the Asus ax800pro or the BBA ATi x800 pro. Which has a higher chance of being succesfull with the pipemod? And which is an overal better OCer?

Nightingale

Well the pipemod is a hit or miss thing because cards get chips from all batches but you need a specifc chip from my understaning. Its designated with a 1 at the end of the code. Also the problem is that even people who get these chips aren't always successful with the mod. As for the better ocer I am going to say the general consenses is that the asus cards aren't the best overclockers, but from an accessory point of view you get a lot of bonus items. I myself am holding out for more reviews comparing X800pro to 6800GT because I have my eye on the AX800 and V9999 GT deluxe.

OP
E

EwoutvB

Nightingale said:
Well the pipemod is a hit or miss thing because cards get chips from all batches but you need a specifc chip from my understaning. Its designated with a 1 at the end of the code. Also the problem is that even people who get these chips aren't always successful with the mod. As for the better ocer I am going to say the general consenses is that the asus cards aren't the best overclockers, but from an accessory point of view you get a lot of bonus items. I myself am holding out for more reviews comparing X800pro to 6800GT because I have my eye on the AX800 and V9999 GT deluxe.

I can get the guy to check the cores for me, I doubt he would mind. so ".1" on the 3rd line as the last digit, I heard on some other forums that that didn't matter but the "BA" or "BG" part mattered.

Is the BBA Any better in OCing? I haven't had great experience with overclocking either lol.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Well, our video card database dosen't have much info yet, but the single ASUS we have in it did pipemod, while no BBA card (there are quite a few) managed it. For overclocks, theres a bit more data, but still only 3 ASUS cards I think (which on average were lower than ATI).

JigPu

Nightingale

I think the Sapphire is probably your best choice for a good overclocker according to past experiences people have had with them.

Docta_Z

No BBA has been sucessfully pipemodded to my knowledge, nor has any Asus card.

As far as I know, the only batch able to do it was the GAxxx.1 batch by Sapphire.

Order a sapphire card and you may get it. Otherwise you may get a GBxxx.1 which has not been sucessfully pipemodded yet.

It's a luck thing, and as far as I can tell, chances are shrinking.