• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P2V + iWill Slocket II + Celeron 950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willemdb

Hi All,

I upgraded my Asus P2B rev. 1.02 with a iWill Slocket II and a Celeron 950. Works like a charm.
Settings iWill Slocket II:
1,8 Vcore, 100 Mhz, FCPGA, single processor 440 BX
Settings Asus P2B:
100 Mhz, 8.0x multiplier (irrelevant, processor has multiplier onboard)

So I decided to do the same with my Asus P2V rev 1.12, which is exactly the same motherboard, only with a Via chipset VT82C693 (Apollo Pro Plus) instead of a 440BX. Machine will not boot.
I read somewhere that the VIa chipset is a pin-for-pin replacement of the 440BX, so it should work, I would say.

Does anyone have a clue why this setup will not boot with the same settings that work for the 440BX?

Thanks for your help,

Willem

willemdb said:
Hi All,

I upgraded my Asus P2B rev. 1.02 with a iWill Slocket II and a Celeron 950. Works like a charm.
Settings iWill Slocket II:
1,8 Vcore, 100 Mhz, FCPGA, single processor 440 BX
Settings Asus P2B:
100 Mhz, 8.0x multiplier (irrelevant, processor has multiplier onboard)

So I decided to do the same with my Asus P2V rev 1.12, which is exactly the same motherboard, only with a Via chipset VT82C693 (Apollo Pro Plus) instead of a 440BX. Machine will not boot.
I read somewhere that the VIa chipset is a pin-for-pin replacement of the 440BX, so it should work, I would say.

Does anyone have a clue why this setup will not boot with the same settings that work for the 440BX?

Thanks for your help,

Willem

Did you use the same slotket/cpu? perhaps one is dead, if its a different slotket/cpu you put in the VIA system.

It's exactly the same Slotket. bought two when I found it, to upgrade both P2B and P2V. From your answer I gather it should work, I mean, there are no known limitations to the Via chipset?

Willem

The Apollo Pro + chipset is spec'd for 66/100 FSB so the Celly 950 should work.

Have you tried to clear CMOS?

willemdb said:
It's exactly the same Slotket. bought two when I found it, to upgrade both P2B and P2V. From your answer I gather it should work, I mean, there are no known limitations to the Via chipset?

Willem

Try the actual slotket that worked for the P2B in the P2V. Maybe once is just DOA.

Well, the mind boggles. I have just put the slocket and processor that worked in the P2B into the P2V. P2V still not booting.
The combination of slocket/CPU that was in the P2V I have put in the P2B. Works like a song! So now I know that both Slocket and processor are OK.
I have also doublechecked the memory. 320 Mb of PC133.

By the way, when I say "not booting", I mean not even video (PCI). On startup, I can hear the disks initialize, but the powersave led on the monitor keeps blinking like there's no video signal. I have exchanged the video card, and it makes no difference ....... I'm left without clues.

Have you tried using the 950 after booting w/ the Celly 466 and saving BIOS defaults?

Johan said:
Have you tried using the 950 after booting w/ the Celly 466 and saving BIOS defaults?

No, but this is the Via chipset VT82C693 (Apollo Pro Plus), not the 694X. There are only jumpers for setting FSB and multiplier, FSB and multiplier cannot be set in the BIOS.
I don't understand. Why would saving the defaults for the 466 make a difference?

Back