• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4B533 and onboard audio, do you use it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Black Ops

Registered
I just unpacked my new P4B533, and CPU-RAM. I did'nt know the Asus came with the onboard Audio, I love my PCI128 soundblaster. I see the o/b can be disabled but is it better than my soundblaster? I'm plaining on runnig both 98se and XP Pro .
The CPU is a P4 2.53 w/ 512MB PC2100 ram. Let me know if you guys like it for gaming?

Thanks......

Black Ops,

The onboard sound is a C-Media chip and it seems to work quite well for gaming. I haven't tested my system with a dedicated soundcard yet but I'm pretty happy with the onboard chip so I probably won't spend the money on another card unless the C-Media one dies.

Do some listening tests on the C-media and compare it to the SB card you have. Try them both out in a few games and try different audio settings e.g. different audio quality etc. to see how they handle it. Find out which one sounds good to you.

Cheers

Hey bro! Dude you got a great board! I had the same one before I up graded to the P4PE. Personally, I have never been staisfied with onboard sound...to me they sound kind of dull and hollow. I use an Audigy X gamer card for my sound, it's crisp, clean and no caffeine. he he

But if you are gonna oc that board remeber the dipswitch trick. Turn the #6 dipswtich to the "on" position and any fsb selection above 133 will give you a 3:4 mem ratio. I was able to crank my mem up to 426mhz on my P4B533!!!

OH YEAH...WELCOME TO THE FORUMS BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your set more than enough for gaming...time for some oc'ing.:D

About the onboard sound...it's all very subjective so I would suggest going with whatever you like.

Back