• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5W DH….CPU fan error press F1 to resume

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAMMESOIAM

Registered
Hi all

I have a Asus P5W DH (old I know) and on boot before OS is opened I get this message

“CPU fan error………press F1 to resume”

I press F1 and my system loads fine.

The m/b was given to me many years ago fitted in a Thermaltake Kandalf case (huge thing) with a Liquid Cooling System, I have never fitted a LCS so don’t have much of a clue as to the ins and outs of fitting one.

Any idea of what is causing this error message on boot, is it something I can adjust in bios perhaps or do you think it relates to an error when the m/b CPU were fitted

to me it sounds like the the fans on the cooler may have been plugged into a different fan header. at some point asus and other put that into the bios as a way to let you know the cpu may not be getting cooled. as there is a fan header on the motherboard labled for "cpu" heatsinks, you can go into the bios and fan monitoring section. you can disable it the bios from reading that header, i say that since the fans maybe plugged on another header or other device. if this is the case then yes disable it in the bios from reading and your good to go. now some boards that old only have fan control option on just the cpu header in the bios. depending on the Liquid cooling platform your using since it sounds need/recent, there is the chance it might be one with a fan controller. since you didnt say which one it is, if you know? that would help too, but i would track down where the fans for the cooler are plugged into on the motherboard. if they can reach, even if you dont need the bios fan control plug them into the cpu labeled fan header. that way if your using a program to read temps and fan speeds. that why when you see fan speeds its easier to figure out which fans or for what, ie case, ie cpu cooler, etc.

You don't have a fan on the cpu header. Disable in bios or put cpu cooling fan on that fan header.

You don't have a fan on the cpu header. Disable in bios or put cpu cooling fan on that fan header.

Sorry if I’m a bit dim but can you explain what you mean…… “put cpu cooling fan on that fan header” if I don’t have one

He means you need to plug a fan, any fan, into the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

Otherwise you can disable the CPU fan monitor in BIOS.

Edit: and :welcome: to the Forums. :)

dont have one what? that motherboard has 3 white, 3 pin connectors for fans. there is one above the ram slots, one next to the chipset heatsink that is near the pipe that connects the two heats sinks on the board, that last one is is just above the orange sata slots.

He means you need to plug a fan, any fan, into the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

Otherwise you can disable the CPU fan monitor in BIOS.

Edit: and :welcome: to the Forums. :)
Ah ha I see thank you….I have disabled fan monitor in bios but still get the same message.

Thank you for the welcome btw I’m enjoying the huge learning curve about my poor auld sysytem

You don't have a fan on the cpu header. .

dont have one what? that motherboard has 3 white, 3 pin connectors for fans. there is one above the ram slots, one next to the chipset heatsink that is near the pipe that connects the two heats sinks on the board, that last one is is just above the orange sata slots.

This is what confused me
You don't have a fan on the cpu header. .
which I took as granted especially as it’s a LCS on the cpu

if you look at the manual online or pics of the motherboard on line. the fan headers have lables on them and i know you have a liquid cooling system but its still needs fans to blow cool air over the hot rad. that would be the same as having a fan on a heatsink. you can either take one of the fans and plug it into the head labeled "cpu" or disable it in the monitoring section in the bios. now to me it doesnt sound like it was disabled it might have been something else to be honest or if you did then asus handles things differently back then. as im going off of my Abit board i had around that time the AI7, but even the the P4P800SE i had i could do what im talking about with. so tbh im kinda lost why it would still pop up if you disabled the monitoring of the cpu fan header. now i wonder if you disabled monitoring of temps and not fan speed for the cpu.

Hi Evilsizer

Thanks for all the info and you are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!

The options given to me were:-

Cpu fan speed N/A or IGNORED…it was set to N/A so I changed it to IGNORED

Also:-

Cpu Q-Fan Control was enabled so I changed it to disabled

and no more F1 nonsense at the start.

I will go back in to bios when I restart to see if it was the enabled or the disabled or in fact the combination that cured the problem.

Cheers :clap:

There are 5 Fan headers on this MB, 4x3 pin (marked with blue circle) and 1x4 pin, the CPU header is the 4 pin (marked with red circle)

asus-p5w-dh-deluxe.jpg

Back